ying and yang--Lamm ML3 and darTZeel 458

Hey Ked, hope all is well with you...not yet, they are sitting out there on the Horizon :). Wanting to get ahead of the upgrading herd; moved, before the rush :).

Cheers!
ALF

Can’t see it on their website

Hey, Ked can find it, but won’t buy it.
I can’t find it, and so can’t even consider it.
I obviously am losing what remaining cognitive powers I once had .

Hey Ked, hope all is well with you...not yet, they are sitting out there on the Horizon :). Wanting to get ahead of the upgrading herd; moved, before the rush :).

Cheers!
ALF

Oh ok... In that case my guess is you went SS, hence are not announcing it yet.

...both Ked;

...Satyas from our friend and fellow contributor Bob at Rhapsody in NYC. The Goldmund Satya is a super audio platform for my family; great streaming, clean footplate, no ground hum issues :), minimal cords, and no snakes. When I am really mental, drop in the wonderful, clean and minimum onboard hours Studer a820 sourced a couple of years back from our fellow contributor Fred Thal at ATAE...I got there right before Ron, whew!

and,

...a really special vintage-based system with the Altec Corona transducers built around bespoke NOS WE310a/PX25 mono amps with some fun and interesting analogue bits...more to come later in another thread.

Cheers!
ALF

Cool... Please let us know what PX25 valves you are using. I use the KR. More on Bob in a few weeks

This is a serious suggestion, if the young lad himself, and Mike, are into the idea.
Get the super enthusiastic Xander back to Mike’s, w the help of Hi-FiGuy.
By all accounts the boy is super enthusiastic about music and made loads of opinions and comments as to what he heard that day.
Unlike (some of? most of?) us, he is seriously un-jaded, has a real joy for life, is not weighed down by years of audio navel gazing, has no audiophile ego, and great hearing to boot.
Let’s get him back to Mike’s room, and test all the permutations of NVS v SGM/MSB, Lamms v Darts, across whatever music he wants to hear.
And let’s see his emotional connection to the music, even any descriptions he wishes to use, about the 4 versions of each song he hears.
This doesn’t have to be a blinded trial, Mike will easily pick up on Xander’s enthusiasm levels, excitement, satisfaction.
No expectation bias, no double think, just the energy and zero BS reactions of youth.
I would kill to be there to take in 2112 .
How about it Mike, and Hi-FiGuy?

.a really special vintage-based system with the Altec Corona transducers built around bespoke NOS WE310a/PX25 mono amps with some fun and interesting analogue bits...more to come later in another thread.

Cheers!
ALF

Wowza... That one sound's very exciting...

This is a serious suggestion, if the young lad himself is into the idea.
By all accounts the boy is super enthusiastic about music and made loads of opinions and comments as to what he heard that day.
Unlike (some of? most of?) us, he is seriously un-jaded, has a real joy for life, is not weighed down by years of audio navel gazing, has no audiophile ego, and great hearing to boot.
Let’s get him back to Mike’s room, and test all the permutations of NVS v SGM/MSB, Lamms v Darts, across whatever music he wants to hear.
And let’s see his emotional connection to the music, even any descriptions he wishes to use, about the 4 versions of each song he hears.
This doesn’t have to be a blinded trial, Mike will easily pick up on Xander’s enthusiasm levels, excitement, satisfaction.
No expectation bias, no double think, just the energy and zero BS reactions of youth.

So, if Xander smiles at one amp we declare the topology a winner? What if he says I really don't get it why you guys get so excited over such minor differences in sound.

This is a serious suggestion, if the young lad himself is into the idea.

Xander and Hi-Fi Guy have a standing invitation. but likely any visit from Xander and Hi-Fi Guy will be music, not gear focused. crass gear compares come much later....let's not scare Xander away.

Ked, that would be fascinating. It might be a pointer we are obsessed by minutiae, ever slicing the onion thinner.
If Xander really heard little or no difference, what would we draw as a conclusion?
OTOH, he could have a massively differing reaction. Again, what to draw?
And if he did, what words would he use to describe his reactions?
This could be fascinating.

Mike, doesn’t have to be crass.
I’m sure you might have offered him ice cream or cake, and a choice of flavours. Would be ok to ask what he thought of each.
Or something like that.

Ked, that would be fascinating. It might be a pointer we are obsessed by minutiae, ever slicing the onion thinner.
If Xander really heard little or no difference, what would we draw as a conclusion?
OTOH, he could have a massively differing reaction. Again, what to draw?
And if he did, what words would he use to describe his reactions?
This could be fascinating.

As such, I did take my gf, a regular to concerts, to a hifi show. She had no idea of brands, prices, topology. She loved Peter McGrath's talk the most, he is so charming. Her winner was Anima horns (driven by Modwright) and later when I told her the prices and the Wilson Magico popularity she didn't get it. And she didn't like my verity with jadis compared to the Analysis Omega I had once on demo (which for her I drove with both AR and crown).

She also heard differences in the Tara cobalt compared to stock at mine and could not understand what I was getting excited over

Xander and Hi-Fi Guy have a standing invitation. but likely any visit from Xander and Hi-Fi Guy will be music, not gear focused. cross gear compares come much later....let's not scare Xander away.

Good point. There is that possibility that he doesn't get it right away and goes away "upset".

Yes Mike, my idea is not to scare the lad away.
Obviously.
But if he really loved eg 2112, and said to him if he wanted to hear it more than once you have a trick up yr sleeve, he might well go for it.
Hey, your home, your system, your guest .

Well Ked, me and her would have had a lot to chew over re our reactions to the Animas LOL!

I’m not proposing anything scientific here, I thought it might be fascinating to check his emotional reaction to different presentations.
For all Mike knew, he could have been freaked by the sound as presented that day. I know one young guy who was put off hifi for life by a presentation. God knows what went wrong?

Also, not a good idea to make him think he can hear differences, that might make him an audiophile and I wouldn't wish that on anybody

Ked, I believe for the first time since the dawn of history (AKA that first meet btwn us at that audiophile’s house), we are in TOTAL agreement.
Let’s leave Xander as a music lover, fan of Mike’s system, and keep all the jargon, fortunes spent and lost, sleepless nights, driving our nearest & dearest to mental distraction, to this self selecting crowd.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing