XLR or RCA with your DartZeel?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I have been loaned a Dartzeel 8550 integrated and loving the sound, what I found interesting though is that I prefer the sound via RCA.
Only subtly different but enough that I did find a preference with RCA; XLR seemed a bit more forward and timbre very subtly different.

Anyone else noticed they had a preference or just went with using XLR or RCA without comparing?
Edit:
Just to add using it with Crystal Cable interconnects for both XLR and RCA.

Cheers
Orb

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Isn't there a 50-ohm conncector (BNC?) as well? Might not be an option dependent on what you have tethered to the Dart.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yeah, although I understand that connection is more specific to Dartzeel interconnection - did not check to see if it is on the 8550 though.
Personally using quality RCA or XLR orientated equipment provides greater options and should be as good as long as the source is well engineered.

Cheers
Orb

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Orb,

Depends on what you're hooking the 8550 to. When I tried it with a dCS Puccini, the XLR was inferior. My inferior RCA cable (old NBS) gave the same result as a Nordost Odin on the XLR. But again, these results were for that particular dCS, with those particular cables...

The 50-ohm Zeel link can only be used Playback Design's equipment. I've also heard CH Precision was going to implement these, but I can't find anything on their site...

alexandre

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks Alexandre and yeah I agree it can also depend upon the source.
I am noticing the same and similar situation that the RCA has an inferior cable and is still more to my preference (RCA was the Crystal Cable Piccolo while XLR was standard Diamond).
Was curious if it was possibly a preference for the cable rather than the RCA setup, when I have the chance in future will get my hands on standard Diamon RCA as well.

Source is a loaned Audio Research CD8, which I understand is pretty close on both RCA and XLR so I am reasonably confident it is not that.

I do wonder how many owners and those who audition thought to try both connections into the Dartzeel, definitely seems worth trying IMO.
Thanks
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing