Experimenting with Straight Wire Crescendo 3 Interconnects...

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
In my previous thread "Unbalanced Interconnect Length", someone mentioned that since I am now running unbalanced to my amps, that I should also try unbalanced from my streamer to preamp as well.

Well it just so happens that one of my brothers has a spare pair of 0.5m Straight Wire Crescendo 3 interconnects laying around, so he's letting me try them out in my system.

I'm currently comparing them along side my 10 year old 1m Wire World Oasis 7 XLR cables.

Annoyingly, switching back and forth between input 1 (XLR) and input 3 (RCA), there's a 6 dB difference between the two, making direct comparisons a challenge. When I switch back and forth, I'm having to quickly adjust the volume as well.

My brother has used the Crescendo 3 cables for a year or more (he's got the full loom in his system), but they have sat unused for the past few weeks or so. I've had them playing in my system for the past 24 hours. At this point, I don't think any extra burn-in should make any difference.

Anyway, from what I can tell, there's not a whole lot of difference in sound between my 10 year old, $170 XLR's and his maybe 1.5 year old, $800 RCA's.

From what I can hear, the initial "kick" or "impact" of a bass drum is a bit softer on the leading edge with the Crescendo 3, as well as the midrange possibly being just a bit laid back or ever so slightly recessed. Of course, the difference in midrange could very well be just the fact that I'm not getting the volume levels perfectly the same. But the leading edge softness in the bass is certainly a thing.

Other than that, everything else seems to be the same. Not very impressive to say the least. I would expect a pair of cables that cost nearly 5x as much would offer up some decent improvements in sound. Maybe because I'm comparing balanced to unbalanced?

Just went and did a little digging around, and I have a spare pair of Wire World Oasis 7 RCA's sitting here, probably unused for a couple of years. I'll swap them in place of the Straight Wire RCA's and see what happens. If I get that same kind of soft leading edge and recessed midrange, then it just might be a fact of comparing balanced to unbalanced.

At this point however, it's just pure curiosity as someone else in that other thread of mine also said that I may or may not get any improvements going to RCA or even get any reduced noise. luckily, either way, there's no extra noise, and that was the main point behind this little experiment all along.

Also, as a side note, I find it a bit odd that on any of the hifi forums I'm on, there's pretty much zero mention of Straight Wire cables of any kind. Hmm...

Last edited:

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
I just pulled the Straight Wire cables and put in the WW Oasis 7 RCA's, and now there's virtually no differences between the two (Oasis 7 XLR and Oasis 7 RCA). Same sharpness and impact in the bass, same type of midrange presence, same everything from what I can tell.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...yes, you don't read a lot about Straight Wire cables. I guess they don't spend much on marketing. I think they do OEM manufacturing for others, internal wire for speakers, etc.

That said, the only item I *still* have in my system from early on is a pair of SW Crescendo3 speaker cables. They do a great job, IMO. I also have RCAs and XLRs from them, but I have moved those cables around over the years. Sometimes they're in, but these days, the Iconoclasts rule.

Reactions: Chops

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Sometimes they're in, but these days, the Iconoclasts rule.
That's what I plan to upgrade to eventually as well. I read nothing but good things about them, plus Galen and Bob are very helpful individuals. Also Bob is the gentleman I bought my Odyssey amps from.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I am hunting high and low for a 4 meter length or longer 1st Gen Crescendo XLR cable.

Anybody who has it reading this willing to let go?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing