Will future Magico models have fuller bass?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I apologize for the typo " Quirks" .. What is deemed "expensive" varies... This said, something like the Bryston 28B, the Pass higher powered Pass for example he Pass X1000.5 , Krell, De Vialet 800, Plinius, other powerful and stable amps. To be on the safe side I would venture at least 500 watts/ch at 8 Ohms and doubling down types, stable amplifiers would likely work well with the Q5. They don't need to be expensive. Those also would work well if they have the required power and stability...

Magico,is too optimistic with their sensitivity ratings.The Q5 is likely a 82~83 dB speaker in real life. The Q7 is probably under 90 dB too.

Wow...good to know. I had not appreciated that about the Q7 as well. I have never investigated but had read about the Q5 being a beast to drive (as well as the original Magico Mini)...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
i really dont know why you care, caesar. you are very on the record being against any Magico speaker due to upper mids/lower treble if i recall correctly.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
i really dont know why you care, caesar. you are very on the record being against any Magico speaker due to upper mids/lower treble if i recall correctly.

:p

Stirring the pot maybe :D

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway
Wow...that must be stunning indeed. Krell MRA's!!! The stuff of legend. And given the voicing of the amps that descended from that amp (FPB 600/700 series), i could well imagine the Q5 would sound GREAT with them. Congrats.

Have you ever considered a QSub with your setup? I could imagine such a setup could well stand up to the biggest of the big rigs and in a much more compact package.

Thanks! I am very happy with my amp combo now (MRA+Evo 202 & Cast MMF). I did consider the Qsub 15, but then the M Project came along and I had a change of heart and ordered a sett:). I do think the M Pro probably could benefit of extra sub(s) and might consider that in the future, but that is not first priority the next years...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Ceasar thinks that probably magico has gone for a direction change , if you elevate the bass out put the mid /tweeterrange stand out much less :D .... balance, it seems like the bass output /membrane surface versus mids has increased some in the M series

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
My guess is we see an S7 (and possibly S9) with fuller bass to compete harder with the Wilson market.

The S5 may have been a direct response to the Wilson Sasha. Similar price with bass that offers more slam/punch than the Q series. I have heard the S5 and Alexia in the same system. They offer two very different approaches to sound reproduction. It's not just the quality and quantity of bass, the rest of the frequency range sounds very different also.

It will be interesting to see what develops from the M Project and how the next generation compares to the S and Q lines.

Perhaps an S7 and S9 will appear to compete with the Alexia/Maxx3, or not. Has anyone compared the S3 to the latest Sophia iteration?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I'm with PeterA - it is not the lack of bass, but the lack of overhang. You need to get accustomed to that, but once you do - you will not be able to listen to any reflex speaker anymore.

I recently had a friend who visited me to listen to the S5. To his ear, my S5 have too much bass. Then another friend came and told me sth completely opposite, LOL. To me it only proves that Magicos (at least the S5) have just the right amount of bass.

The Editor-in-chef of the AUDIO magazine in Poland recently measured the S5, and said that the S5 are the best speakers he has ever masured (and he measured more than 1000 speakers in the past 20 years). He was most impressed how by how low would the S5 reach and how great their impulse impulse response is. They also measure table flat and have vanishingly low distortion levels - but that is given with any Magico speaker. In the end, he have said (and he is an avid speaker designer, who has been designing speakers for DIY market for the whole his life) that he simply had no idea how he could further improve those speakers.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I'm with PeterA - it is not the lack of bass, but the lack of overhang. You need to get accustomed to that, but once you do - you will not be able to listen to any reflex speaker anymore.

I recently had a friend who visited me to listen to the S5. To his ear, my S5 have too much bass. Then another friend came and told me sth completely opposite, LOL. To me it only proves that Magicos (at least the S5) have just the right amount of bass.

The Editor-in-chef of the AUDIO magazine in Poland recently measured the S5, and said that the S5 are the best speakers he has ever masured (and he measured more than 1000 speakers in the past 20 years). He was most impressed how by how low would the S5 reach and how great their impulse impulse response is. They also measure table flat and have vanishingly low distortion levels - but that is given with any Magico speaker. In the end, he have said (and he is an avid speaker designer, who has been designing speakers for DIY market for the whole his life) that he simply had no idea how he could further improve those speakers.

I agree. Coming from Wilsons (Sasha, Alexia) the first thing you notice is reduction in overhang on the S5. I'm sure it would be the opposite if you were coming from a Q3 or Q5 (if we can agree that there is more overhang on the S series). I find the bass on the S5's to be just right as they seem to do all types of music very well. The bass isn't perfect, but it's darn good.

I did a lot of listening this past (holiday) weekend and I'm very happy with the S5's. There are times where I just think to myself "How can it get better than this?".

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The big question for me is if we will see a Q9.

I suspect that may depend on the success of whatever the regular product line is that emerges from this limited edition M-series. If well received financially, i do wonder if a new generation of Magico reference line will emerge and replace the Q.

caesar

May 30, 2010

True, I am not a fan of the Magico Q, and I did not like how it took over tas, reducing the escapist illusion that the magazine brought to its readers that a "transparency to source speaker" just was not designed to do. See some more ideas here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ace-of-many%85&p=256156&viewfull=1#post256156.... But we are just getting off topic and no one is answering my original question. Instead, guys are just talking about what they want to talk about, and steering the conversation away from my original post, and accusing me of stirring things up...

I could care less what kinds of sex people like, what color furniture they have in their house, or what speaker they prefer. Instead, my interest is in future trends and where people see the industry go. Here's what I said in post #1: "Don't over-think it guys. Step right up and make your prediction. We can check back in 3-5 years." I do wonder, as I don't have any data, if Magico can be as successful with a Q series alone. To their credit, they have stepped away from the self-centered personal tastes of Valin and Wolf, who are not "bass heads" or appreciate bass, to create the S class, which I believe appeals to more people due to its fuller sonic signature. I wonder if we will see fuller bass as Magico grows even further...

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
True, I am not a fan of the Magico Q, and I did not like how it took over tas, reducing the escapist illusion that the magazine brought to its readers that a "transparency to source speaker" just was not designed to do. See some more ideas here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ace-of-many%85&p=256156&viewfull=1#post256156.... But we are just getting off topic and no one is answering my original question. Instead, guys are just talking about what they want to talk about, and steering the conversation away from my original post, and accusing me of stirring things up...

I could care less what kinds of sex people like, what color furniture they have in their house, or what speaker they prefer. Instead, my interest is in future trends and where people see the industry go. Here's what I said in post #1: "Don't over-think it guys. Step right up and make your prediction. We can check back in 3-5 years." I do wonder, as I don't have any data, if Magico can be as successful with a Q series alone. To their credit, they have stepped away from the self-centered personal tastes of Valin and Wolf, who are not "bass heads" or appreciate bass, to create the S class, which I believe appeals to more people due to its fuller sonic signature. I wonder if we will see fuller bass as Magico grows even further...

I think your opinion on this matter is very well known by almost everyone on this forum, Caesar. I am not sure your opinion represents the majority opinion though. Actually I think most like the Magico Q-Series sound very much.

Also having read quite a bit about what ideals Alon Wolf and Yair Tammam are working after I do not think that ny future Magico speaker will have a more full bass. It is not according to their ideals as far as I understand.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) There are times where I just think to myself "How can it get better than this?".

You must listen to Frank's TheSonusfaber ... ;)

I must say that one of the reasons I got interested and finally bought my Metronome's was because they were being used in the TheSonusfaber's demos.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You must listen to Frank's TheSonusfaber ... ;)

I must say that one of the reasons I got interested and finally bought my Metronome's was because they were being used in the TheSonusfaber's demos.

I would love to hear them...has anyone EVER seen one on the 2nd hand market?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I thought I had attempted to answer your original post in post #2. But I'll now be more specific and not "over-think" it too much:

I think Magico will develop a line of speakers that have the form factor of the M Project, that is a curved baffle with hidden fasteners and curved sidewalls. Magico's first "public" offering was the Mini which had this form. The M Project now has it again. It is both beautiful and functional. I think with their CNC machine capabilities, the S-line cabinets will remain all aluminum in an attempt to keep costs down. The carbon is a rare design in limited production and very expensive. But they are learning from this and it may find its way into a line which eventually replaces the Q line. Could be the "C" line for carbon. The Mini and the M Project will be considered classics and collector items for years to come.

Regarding sound, they will continue to design "accurate" sounding speakers, with vanishing levels of distortion and flat frequency responses. My guess is that future designs will be more efficient and more extended, especially in the lower frequencies. They will continue with two separate lines, one will be at a lower price point resulting from simpler construction techniques and lower quality of parts and the other will be more of an all-out effort at state of the art. More expensive models in each line will have additional drivers for lower extension and larger scale. The only difference in sound will be that of refinement and degrees of accuracy from the high quality parts, construction and materials.

Long, long term, I wonder if what they are learning with the Ultimate speaker will find its way into hybrid designs with compression drivers.

How's that for speculation?

Edit: One other interesting development is the outrigger feet on the M Project. These were not shown in early prototype photos. They are on the S1 and S3, but not the S5. I would have thought that the M Project does not need them for stability, but clearly, Magico tested and developed this feature and we may see it on more models in the future.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing