Why the Harman mono speaker test was wrong for dipole planers

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
No need to get defensive unless you know that either one of these data points for sure damns the product.

Not getting defensive. Was being facetious. Sorry you missed that.

Data points? I don't know what anechoic weighted measurements are and frankly could care less.

Damns the product? IMHO, a judgmental / myopic perspective and, for me, totally irrelevant.

I do appreciate your passion regarding numbers and willingness to discuss. Suffice to say, I obviously disagree with your basic premise that measurements are a significant indicator of what one hears absent the obvious anomalies. Way too many other things that influence ones' final impression of how a product sounds.

Should have said that more clearly upfront so I could have avoided wasting my time and yours.

Best.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I do appreciate your passion regarding numbers and willingness to discuss.
Appreciate that but once again I am at a loss how results of people listening to music and voting for the fidelity they hear being about numbers. This process is no different that someone auditioning loudspeakers and reporting on them. The only difference is that they are not allowed to know what they listen to so that other influences are not involved. Whether you believe in the measurements that go with them, is secondary in that regard.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I lose interest in listening to MLs the moment I am not centered in the narrow "sweet spot." (I find the off-axis sound to be thin, dry, unbalanced.) I have never listened to a single ML speaker in mono but I suspect I would find it to sound fairly ghastly.

Forgive me if this point was raised previously, but is there any reason to think that listening to only one speaker (mono) rather than two speakers (stereo) would disadvantage the sound of the ML relatively more than it would disadvantage the sound of the conventional speakers?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Forgive me if this point was raised previously, but is there any reason to think that listening to only one speaker (mono) rather than two speakers (stereo) would disadvantage the sound of the ML relatively more than it would disadvantage the sound of the conventional speakers?

That's the unanswered question, I asked the same thing and so far nobody has come up with any reasonable explanation.

The big difference is dispersion pattern and if you are sitting right in front of the speaker it shouldn't matter so much. If you were off axis from the ML it would be a larger disadvantage vs other speakers with "better", more even dispersion patterns. So I think we'd need to know the seating position of the listener to know if the ML was truly at a disadvantage...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The big difference is dispersion pattern and if you are sitting right in front of the speaker it shouldn't matter so much. If you were off axis from the ML it would be a larger disadvantage vs other speakers with "better", more even dispersion patterns. So I think we'd need to know the seating position of the listener to know if the ML was truly at a disadvantage...
Harman has three different listening rooms. In all cases the persons sits on-axis of the loudspeaker when testing in mono. Here is the picture of the room used in:

Differences in Performance and Preference of Trained versus Untrained Listeners in Loudspeaker Tests: A Case Study
Sean E. Olive, AES Fellow

And performance ratings of loudspeakers tested (M is Martin Logan)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
In all cases the persons sits on-axis of the loudspeaker when testing in mono.

If that's the case then I'm not sure how anybody can claim the test is so unfair to ML. I have not heard a reasonable explanation for it yet...

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
It would be interesting to see whether all dipoles would score as poorly as the ML speakers. My guess is that a speaker with much better lateral off axis out to 60-90 degrees would score much better. A comparison between a Linkwitz LX521 and any ML speaker would be interesting. The reason is that it's apparent that Linkwitz designs his speakers using very similar performance objectives to the way Harman designs their speakers.

esldude

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2012/05/more-evidence-that-kids-even-japanese.html

Here where Harman tested high school and college students from different countries the test was done a bit differently. With limited time to test they didn't use one person per test and therefore some test takers were slightly off axis. The ML scored slightly higher for those off axis. The Harman directional measurements indicated a more balanced off axis frequency response and this result wasn't exactly unexpected. The ML still scored worst or tied for worst. This does support the idea that in stereo use which could be well off axis and careful room placement may allow the ML to perform much better. Given the Harman hypothesis they likely will not catch up fully with speakers exhibiting smoother off axis and on axis response. Given the ML's are by far the most expensive they still don't look like a good deal. The MLs primary problem measures just like it sounds to me. A mismatch between bass and mid/treble.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
If that's the case then I'm not sure how anybody can claim the test is so unfair to ML. I have not heard a reasonable explanation for it yet...

I have as yet! To hear a reasonable explanation as to the apparent discrepancy between the unbiased suite of measurements provided by Noel Keywood, and the 'poor' set of measurements for ML trotted out within this and other threads, oft by the same tag team respondents, and well past bordering upon Agenda.

I would also like to pose this simple question, If we are all to be badgered into believing that ML transducers measure 'SO' poorly and sound 'SO' abominably, WHY DO SO MANY MUSIC LOVERS PURCHASE THEM ?????????

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have as yet! To hear a reasonable explanation as to the apparent discrepancy between the unbiased suite of measurements provided by Noel Keywood, and the 'poor' set of measurements for ML trotted out within this and other threads, oft by the same tag team respondents, and well past bordering upon Agenda.
Where is the measurements by Noel Kenwood?

I would also like to pose this simple question, If we are all to be badgered into believing that ML transducers measure 'SO' poorly and sound 'SO' abominably, WHY DO SO MANY MUSIC LOVERS PURCHASE THEM ?????????
Speaker business is 90% about marketing, 10% about performance. Fail on the former and you die. No matter how good the other 10%. This is why you see so many varied industrial designs, colors, styles, etc. So let's not pull market success into this. It works on many factors unrelated to performance.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Speaker business is 90% about marketing, 10% about performance. (...)

Do you have data that substantiates this statement in the high-end segment?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I would love if this debate was centered on planar speakers or at electrostatics, such as my large Soundlab's, avoiding this systematic ridiculous particularization of hate towards a specific brand.

Music lovers buy THEM because with the proper ancillaries, room and setup they please their preferences. IMHO anyone wanting to know more about ML should go in the Martin Logan users group forum, not just rely on the opinion of the WBF members who do not like them. YMMV.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Speaker business is 90% about marketing, 10% about performance. Fail on the former and you die. No matter how good the other 10%. This is why you see so many varied industrial designs, colors, styles, etc. So let's not pull market success into this. It works on many factors unrelated to performance.

I do agree with this. If you look up Philip Kotler's 4Ps of Marketing, they cover Product, Price, Place (distribution) and Promotion. How well you apply the other 3 Ps (apart from the product) will dictate how much the brand sells. I also believe American brands are the best at marketing. They are always seen in multiple reviews, at most hifi shows, are well distributed.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I would love if this debate was centered on planar speakers or at electrostatics, such as my large Soundlab's, avoiding this systematic ridiculous particularization of hate towards a specific brand.
The research is based on sound business reasoning, not emotions. B&W and Martin Logan are probably the top two, highest volume high-end loudspeakers around. That is why they are routinely included in the research. It is important to analyze their success and see how much of it is due to better sound, and how much due to other factors. This is what every loudspeaker manufacturer should be doing. Not leaving us as the guinea pigs to determine if they have built a better mousetrap than leading brands or not.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The $64 queistion is where do you sit in order to be on axis with ML=rsprcially in mono. I is safe to say it is not the same as the other speakers.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The research is based on sound business reasoning, not emotions. B&W and Martin Logan are probably the top two, highest volume high-end loudspeakers around. That is why they are routinely included in the research. It is important to analyze their success and see how much of it is due to better sound, and how much due to other factors. This is what every loudspeaker manufacturer should be doing. Not leaving us as the guinea pigs to determine if they have built a better mousetrap than leading brands or not.
etter musettraps are measured by dead mice.
B

esldude

The $64 queistion is where do you sit in order to be on axis with ML=rsprcially in mono. I is safe to say it is not the same as the other speakers.

Are you serious? On axis is 0 degrees or straight ahead. Mono, stereo, multi-channel whatever.

If you are referring to the vertical axis, you would expect a panel to vary less vertically than conventional speakers as they are more directional in the vertical axis.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Are you serious? On axis is 0 degrees or straight ahead. Mono, stereo, multi-channel whatever.

If you are referring to the vertical axis, you would expect a panel to vary less vertically than conventional speakers as they are more directional in the vertical axis.
Yes I ams erious .Look at he visoe Martinlogan made on toe out. Perhaps a better term is sweet spot.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Greg is right, a ML mono won't have a sweet spot or on axis. There is a reason they give such detailed toe in instructions.

A WE 16A mono would be the ideal candidate for this Harman test, given it does almost same voicing all 180 degrees, as a single speaker.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing