Why the conductor matters

audiopro92

Nov 25, 2023
Canada
Conductors matter primarily because they interact with other conductors. That interaction (due mostly to metallurgy) can influence sound quality. Sometimes to a large degree; other times not at all.

The wiring in your audio equipment plays in tangent with the cables you connect.

The conductivity of the metal, resistance, inductance, And capacitance along with the tonal quality of the wire itself blend together and give you a result.

Superconductors are ideal. Quality matters.

• Love
Reactions: Scott Naylor

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Well you guys will hate what I have to say about conductors.

Playing in an orchestra for 7 years, 6 of which I was 1st chair bass, the only thing a conductor is good for during a performance is starting a piece and ending the piece. That's pretty much it. The rest of the time they are just up there looking important.

Where conductors are useful is during rehearsals, breaking down the piece, working with individual musicians, individual sections, getting tempos dialed in and expressions where he/she wants them (should be tailored to the venue).

Once you have weeks, sometime months of rehearsals, the conductor is no longer needed except for "show" during the actual performance. Jumping up and down, flinging their heads all around, twitching about aimlessly like they're having crack withdrawals, none of it is needed. If the musicians are looking at the conductor, it's because they're watching him/her act a fool on stage in front of hundreds/thousands of people.

Any competent musician/orchestra will already know the tempos of the piece being played, they already know the amount of expression needed when and where, and when it's all said and done, typically the cello and/or bass section is what maintains the tempo for the orchestra.

So yeah, have fun with this post. I've felt this way about conductors for well over 30 years now and will for the next 30, if I last that long.

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
Well you guys will hate what I have to say about conductors.

Playing in an orchestra for 7 years, 6 of which I was 1st chair bass, the only thing a conductor is good for during a performance is starting a piece and ending the piece. That's pretty much it. The rest of the time they are just up there looking important.

Where conductors are useful is during rehearsals, breaking down the piece, working with individual musicians, individual sections, getting tempos dialed in and expressions where he/she wants them (should be tailored to the venue).

Once you have weeks, sometime months of rehearsals, the conductor is no longer needed except for "show" during the actual performance. Jumping up and down, flinging their heads all around, twitching about aimlessly like they're having crack withdrawals, none of it is needed. If the musicians are looking at the conductor, it's because they're watching him/her act a fool on stage in front of hundreds/thousands of people.

Any competent musician/orchestra will already know the tempos of the piece being played, they already know the amount of expression needed when and where, and when it's all said and done, typically the cello and/or bass section is what maintains the tempo for the orchestra.

So yeah, have fun with this post. I've felt this way about conductors for well over 30 years now and will for the next 30, if I last that long.
Agree but a good conductor will create a tension for the players during performance to achieve a climax not rehearsed

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Agree but a good conductor will create a tension for the players during performance to achieve a climax not rehearsed
If it's supposed to be in the original music, the orchestra is more than capable enough of doing that on their own.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Dear Chops,

May I suggest that opposition to or siding with is rarely required in a "Marty" thread. I find this to be the one of very few sanctuaries in the forum, sharing opinions without dogma.

Do I believe that Klemperer could have saved the early bassoons on his Mahler two? No, I do believe that Szell would have
Threatened (players) to the point of paranoia and control the urge to be impulsive.

To me great orchestras function on a zen like level of cooperation that eludes most facets of life.

That tenet invariably must be held by a strong, versatile and respected individual.

I wholeheartedly agree with the arm waving extravagance being superfluous to the orchestra.

Marty introduced the forum to the Lim, Alsop Rach' three. To me her influence on this is obvious and required.

Kindest regards,G.

Reactions: marty and Chops

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing