jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com

"Why the conductor matters" indeed.​

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Don't forget "no conductor", best summed up as having an "anarchic" SQ.
Ideally paired w Nothing Racks.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
When the conductor looks at you, you better be looking back.
Timing is integral to music. The conductor is the orchestra's clock.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
When the conductor looks at you, you better be looking back.
Timing is integral to music. The conductor is the orchestra's clock.
I agree with you but after years of concert going one of my main take aways is that the respect an orchestra has, particularly for guest conductors, is how much eye contact the musicians make with the conductor. For some pieces, especially "war horses", they hardly look up at all. It's as if they are on autopilot like they are saying "we don't need no stinkin' conductor, we know how to play this piece". But with great conductors and their bands, musicians watching the conductor's hands is critical. It's one of the reasons I go to concerts or watch concerts on TV as this part of the art just can't be appreciated otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingsrule

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
The Berlin Phil's various sections not only have eye contact with the conductor but with other sections too

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I agree with you but after years of concert going one of my main take aways is that the respect an orchestra has, particularly for guest conductors, is how much eye contact the musicians make with the conductor. For some pieces, especially "war horses", they hardly look up at all. It's as if they are on autopilot like they are saying "we don't need no stinkin' conductor, we know how to play this piece". But with great conductors and their bands, musicians watching the conductor's hands is critical. It's one of the reasons I go to concerts or watch concerts on TV as this part of the art just can't be appreciated otherwise.

I see it a little differently from the musician's angle. Typically what you say can be true, but that's because the conductor is not looking at you Ms First Flute. You don't see it from the audience. The conductor, resident or guest, looks at you when you have a solo or an emphasis or a tempo change to play. When you do not have a 'special' part or you're playing an accompaniment there is not much reason for the conductor to look at you. He is busy elsewhere. You are both reading the same score and you have rehearsed. You see his hands but you watch his eyes and baton at the approach, maybe two beats ahead.. The conductor does not direct by rote and you don't play by rote -- you play on cue. Perhaps more important with a guest conductor because you do not know him or his interpretation except through rehearsal. You both know the part is coming and both communicate. Miss a cue more than once and you'll hear about it from your section leader or the concert master.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I see it a little differently from the musician's angle. Typically what you say can be true, but that's because the conductor is not looking at you Ms First Flute. You don't see it from the audience. The conductor, resident or guest, looks at you when you have a solo or an emphasis or a tempo change to play. When you do not have a 'special' part or you're playing an accompaniment there is not much reason for the conductor to look at you. He is busy elsewhere. You are both reading the same score and you have rehearsed. You see his hands but you watch his eyes and baton at the approach, maybe two beats ahead.. The conductor does not direct by rote and you don't play by rote -- you play on cue. Perhaps more important with a guest conductor because you do not know him or his interpretation except through rehearsal. You both know the part is coming and both communicate. Miss a cue more than once and you'll hear about it from your section leader or the concert master.
Excellent insight. Much appreciated for teaching me that.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Excellent insight. Much appreciated for teaching me that.

Certainly. I appreciate that you are observant, like to watch and enjoy music being made. It is fun to see the musicians play their instruments and interact with enthusiasm. The functioning of all together, led by the conductor, moving forward with common intent while playing amazing compositions is a true joy.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The Berlin Phil's various sections not only have eye contact with the conductor but with other sections too
I thought it originally was so they could check if Klemperer’s hands were moving at all. Near the end the great man was like a giant mountain. His control was like a force of will.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: zerostargeneral

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I love Ansermet performance not so romantic, more like an old school conductor. The Decca/London recordings sound fantastic. The birth of stereo recordings.here

P.S
Great recording too

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing