Why Run More Than One Tonearm?

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
I’m considering adding a second tonearm and cartridge to my turntable in the New Year. But if I am honest with myself, I’m not really sure I need one! I listen to rock and jazz, and have only a handful of mono recordings. Yet, many WBF members who are into analogue often run two or three tonearms on a ‘table. I’m curious about the reasons why.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I used to have a turntable that could support only one tonearm. I designed an outboard arm pod so I could add a different second arm. I had two different cartridges and I enjoyed experimenting with different combinations for slightly different presentations.

I then bought a turntable that supported two arms. I bought identical tonearms and used different cartridges for slightly different presentations.

I now have a turntable that supports four tonearms, but I only use two. They are the same tonearm and I have multiple copies of two different cartridges. Right now I am experimenting with two identical arms and two identical cartridges and I will set them up for different thickness records. One will be set up for thin vinyl and one for thick vinyl.

It is also nice just to have a spare combination in case something breaks and needs to be repaired. I think most people do it because they enjoy experimenting with different sounds and for stereo and mono cartridges or moving magnet and moving coil.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
My table can accommodate two arms but in practice I only have one mounted at a time. Two reasons: First, in my experience the presence of a second arm, when mounted directly on the aluminum table base, has an adverse effect on the sound of the first arm. Second, it is awkward to align the second arm and awkward to use the curing lever.

Bottom line for me: one arm at a time.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I’m considering adding a second tonearm and cartridge to my turntable in the New Year. But if I am honest with myself, I’m not really sure I need one! I listen to rock and jazz, and have only a handful of mono recordings. Yet, many WBF members who are into analogue often run two or three tonearms on a ‘table. I’m curious about the reasons why.

I think the main reason is that it allows you to have 2 cartridges available to you at any time. I am not saying you need to do that but if you are interested in that flexibility it is more convenient than having 1 tonearm and swapping cartridges and aligning them every time you want to change.

Reactions: Johan K and PeterA

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
I have two turntables, plus four Acoustand tonearm pods. Currently using just two of the pods, so I can have four SME tonearms (IV x2, V x1, 309 x 1) on two SME turntables. Why?
Well: my best stereo cartridge is a BM LP-S, but it's only just a tiny bit better than the London Decca Reference. Then there's the BM Ruby 3 converted to mono (by Steve Leung) for mono LPs, and the Nagaoka MP-500, which is good in its own right, but also it the one I use to play disks for the first time in case there is some fault that could tear the stylus off. I'd rather replace a stylus than send an MC off for a re-tip. The tonearm pods are all on sharp spikes, and weigh 10lb each: a good cartridge mounted on an arm on one sounds better than a poor cartridge mounted on the built in arm. The VTA adjustments of the pods are far easier than the native SME adjustments, and can be changed during play, if that's your thing (not mine: set and forget is me).
I could simply play everything on the LP-S, but this way I get some variety and make the styli last longer, along with the super quiet mono playback from a true mono cartridge. I'm happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johan K and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I have two turntables, plus four Acoustand tonearm pods. Currently using just two of the pods, so I can have four SME tonearms (IV x2, V x1, 309 x 1) on two SME turntables. Why?
Well: my best stereo cartridge is a BM LP-S, but it's only just a tiny bit better than the London Decca Reference. Then there's the BM Ruby 3 converted to mono (by Steve Leung) for mono LPs, and the Nagaoka MP-500, which is good in its own right, but also it the one I use to play disks for the first time in case there is some fault that could tear the stylus off. I'd rather replace a stylus than send an MC off for a re-tip. The tonearm pods are all on sharp spikes, and weigh 10kg each: a good cartridge mounted on an arm on one sounds better than a poor cartridge mounted on the built in arm. The VTA adjustments of the pods are far easier than the native SME adjustments, and can be changed during play, if that's your thing (not mine: set and forget is me).
I could simply play everything on the LP-S, but this way I get some variety and make the styli last longer, along with the super quiet mono playback from a true mono cartridge. I'm happy.
A picture would be nice ! :)

Reactions: Johan K and XV-1

Vinylfan

Jan 12, 2019
My main reason for two was to incorporate a mono and Stereo cartridge.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As far as I am concerned, it would be to save time. Time removing and setting up another cartridge, then setting the phonopreamp after that.

Some people just enjoy the presentations of different cartridges and I am one of these people.

Some people have dedicated mono carts/arms and some people dedicated MM carts/arms. That is not that uncommon either.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Best thing I did for my vinyl end was to get two tables. I can switch sources on even the same album if I wanted.

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
A picture would be nice ! :)
I modified one side today as an experiment: I placed one of the unused pods under the distal end of the tonearm panel, just for more stability and mass:

Perhaps I should ask Lee if he can make an extra long tonearm panel with a second attachment point at the distal end, so it can be screwed into the second pod. This would leave the arm mounted on a panel affixed at both ends to a 10lb pod. Not visible in this photo is a Series V on the built in tonearm mount with the LP-s on it. The other table is set up similarly.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
there is a GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) aspect to multiple arms and multiple turntables; and multiple cartridges and phono stages.....for sure. this is not about need.

yet; I think for me the stronger thing is simply it's enjoyable, and musically interesting, to play music on various turntables, arms and cartridges and phono stages. it's a deeper dive into how vinyl works, and the result. it adds to the satisfaction of many sessions. other times I just choose one.....which is good too. sometimes "multiples" allows a finer level of tune as each combo pushes the other ones to stay at their best.

could I step back into a single tt, arm, cart and phono? I can see that happening after I get this phase of the hobby out of my system. but I have no idea when that might happen. maybe my kids will have to figure it out.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I have 2 tts that can acommodate 4 arms each
presently I have 8 arms, 6 installed
Airtangent Reference is in UK for repair
no single combo is best in all aspects
Melco: Eugene Komissarov Supertracker, IKEDA IT 407/The Peak/The Groovemaster
MS DDX 1500: Dynavector DV505/Kiseki Gold and an Alfred Bokrand presently on service
The Peak is set up with dedicated DaVA mono cart and SUT combo
the rest are different cart/arm/armcable/SUT combos
MS DDX1500 also covers 45rpm LPs

Reactions: Johan K and Lagonda

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
My turntable is designed for 2 tonearms, but I chose to have only one tonearm. Like you Tangram, I only have a handful of mono records so I don’t see the point in a second tonearm / cartridge. I would rather spend the extra money on other needed parts of the system or get more records.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
My turntable is designed for 2 tonearms, but I chose to have only one tonearm. Like you Tangram, I only have a handful of mono records so I don’t see the point in a second tonearm / cartridge. I would rather spend the extra money on other needed parts of the system or get more records.
I like the “get more records” part!

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
You really should listen to a mono record with a mono cartridge: My experience will not be like yours, as I have only one functional ear and never hear stereo. But a mono record through a stereo cartridge has more surface noise than though a mono cartridge, no question.
And with respect to my post above, Lee Drage is going to make me a couple of tonearm panels that will bridge the two pods. He seemed to imply he could make each hold two tonearms, but that, says my esprit d'escalier, would be a bridge too far.

Reactions: Johan K

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
If you have mono records a mono cartridge on a second arm can make sense but I not necessary IMHO. On the other hand if you have a collection of double 45rpm records then second tonearm makes perfect sense. Cartridge alignment changes dramatically between 33.3 and 45rpm.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
If you have mono records a mono cartridge on a second arm can make sense but I not necessary IMHO. On the other hand if you have a collection of double 45rpm records then second tonearm makes perfect sense. Cartridge alignment changes dramatically between 33.3 and 45rpm.

78’s

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75 and Johan K

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Mtemur, Could you please explain why cartridge alignment changes between 33.3 and 45 rpm? I figure there are more dynamic forces in play, so more pulling on the stylus changes SRA angle and horizontal alignment, possibly even skating force, but I would think only slightly. Are these the reasons and is it audible? Thank you.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I’m considering adding a second tonearm and cartridge to my turntable in the New Year. . . . Yet, many WBF members who are into analogue often run two or three tonearms on a ‘table. I’m curious about the reasons why.

I was somewhat ambivalent about having two cartridge/tonearm combinations. I understand the idea of wanting two "flavors," but I've seen some people make the mistake of having two cartridge/tonearm combinations that sound so different, they wind up listening most of the time to only one of them.

So I was determined to pick two "flavors" I know I like – – chocolate and vanilla – – as opposed to, say, chocolate and pralines with spice cookies.

I am very curious which of my two cartridge/cartridge combinations I will end up listening to the most.

If I wind up listening almost entirely to one of the combinations, I would sell the other combination.

Reactions: Tangram

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing