Why no love for Simaudio?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have seen little to no mention of any of their products on the pages of this site and was wondering why that's so. Many of their products are well-rated and/or reviewed and surely they can be classified as a true high-end audio manufacturer.

http://www.simaudio.com/

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I have seen little to no mention of any of their products on the pages of this site and was wondering why that's so. Many of their products are well-rated and/or reviewed and surely they can be classified as a true high-end audio manufacturer.

They make excellent gear.

I have the new 280D DAC coming in. And:

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-p...ers/simaudio-760a-power-amplifier-review.html

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/simaudio-neo-380d-dac/

http://www.simaudio.com/en/pr/52-tone-audio-180-mind-review.html

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Being in Canada I've had the good fortune of being able to listen to a variety of their components at various dealers and at shows. While I never auditioned their higher end products for an extended period, as one would for possible consideration towards a purchase, I always came away with a feeling of immense satisfaction at what I heard. They seem to pair extremely well with a host of different speakers and also formats, which I suppose tells me they don't impart much of themselves into the music and lets the sources and other products within a setup do the job they were designed for. I like that. Add to that their second-to-none design and build quality and you have products that should be seriously considered for the well-heeled audiophile.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Being in Canada I've had the good fortune of being able to listen to a variety of their components at various dealers and at shows. While I never auditioned their higher end products for an extended period, as one would for possible consideration towards a purchase, I always came away with a feeling of immense satisfaction at what I heard. They seem to pair extremely well with a host of different speakers and also formats, which I suppose tells me they don't impart much of themselves into the music and lets the sources and other products within a setup do the job they were designed for. I like that. Add to that their second-to-none design and build quality and you have products that should be seriously considered for the well-heeled audiophile.

JV, honestly you nailed it to a "T". I won't sully your post by trying to clumsily elaborate.

The amps and DACs are built insanely well and are superbly clean and neutral.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
John, Simaudio, Anthem, Bryston, PMC speakers, PSB speakers, etc., ...all Canadian products of high quality design and integrity are not the type of products having a strong exposure in an American audio forum.

There are so many great Canadian products, from pre/pros, DACs, speakers, DSP chips, ...that they are much more deservedly discussed on Canadian audio forums. :b

The NRC in Ottawa, Canada, was home of Dr. Floyd O'Toole back in the days...and it is now the home of some of the best speaker designers in the world.
And what's fantastic in Canada, is that our audio products are very affordable. :cool:

I can probably mention hundred great Canadian audio products...plus Canada has some of the best DSP and DAC chips designers in the whole world.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
John, Simaudio, Anthem, Bryston, PMC speakers, PSB speakers, etc., ...all Canadian products of high quality design and integrity are not the type of products having a strong exposure in an American audio forum.

There are so many great Canadian products, from pre/pros, DACs, speakers, DSP chips, ...that they are much more deservedly discussed on Canadian audio forums. :b

The NRC in Ottawa, Canada, was home of Dr. Floyd O'Toole back in the days...and it is now the home of some of the best speaker designers in the world.
And what's fantastic in Canada, is that our audio products are very affordable. :cool:

I can probably mention hundred great Canadian audio products...plus Canada has some of the best DSP and DAC chips designers in the whole world.

PMC are designed and built in the U.K.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have a Simaudio 260 DT CD transport. It's an outstanding unit. It is just as good as my old Wadia 8 transport that finally died after 20 years, but much cheaper -- it costs now much less than the Wadia transport did 20 years ago.

Goodwin's High End, from whom I bought the unit, sells the entire Simaudio line, and they are pretty choosy about the products they carry.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
PMC are designed and built in the U.K.

Exactly; Canada has some great affinities with the UK...Classe and B&W.
...Bryston and PMC.

Refinement from our two great countries...Neil Young and the Beatles. ...The Guess Who and the Rolling Stones. :b

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Exactly; Canada has some great affinities with the UK...Classe and B&W.
...Bryston and PMC.

Refinement from our two great countries...Neil Young and the Beatles. ...The Guess Who and the Rolling Stones. :b

I am not aware of any Canadian affiliation. The company was founded in 1990 in London. You may want double check the facts. Unless i have it wrong, which i don't think is the case.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
A few years ago Bryston was the North American distributor for PMC speakers so there was a relationship between the two companies. While PMC is based and manufactured in the UK they currently have no connection to Bryston, although they still use some Bryston electronics in their demo systems.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
PMC and Bryston used to go together in the same vein B&W and Krell then later Classe did. I think PMC and Bryston went even further. At some point Bryston made amps for PMC active speakers that could be attached to the cabinets. I'm not sure where that cooperation is today. Bryston now makes its own speakers.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Yes, Bryston used to show their gear mostly with PMC, and sometimes Thiel. I could be wrong, but they may have also
supplied the amps for PMC's active speakers.

However, this far from makes PMC a Canadian company. They are very British indeed.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
gershman_simaudio.jpg

very good

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Andre, I apologize; PMC speakers are not Canadian made. They only shared their advertising with Bryston amplifiers for many years, in few Canadian audio mags. ...I should have indicated that, been more precise, ...sorry.

_________

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Also, Canadian PSB speakers are very often matched with NAD audio electronics.

Those associations from different countries; Italy, Japan, USA, Canada, Switzerland, Germany, France, UK, etc. create some happy marriages...sound performance wise and business wise.

This thread is about Simaudio of Canada, but the fun part is to find its good matches with speakers from different companies in the world, like Magico for example, or Totem Acoustic, or Triangle, or Newform Research, etc.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
JV, honestly you nailed it to a "T". I won't sully your post by trying to clumsily elaborate.

The amps and DACs are built insanely well and are superbly clean and neutral.

This is why I am somewhat surprised we don't see more members as owners.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Also, Canadian PSB speakers are very often matched with NAD audio electronics.

Those associations from different countries; Italy, Japan, USA, Canada, Switzerland, Germany, France, UK, etc. create some happy marriages...sound performance wise and business wise.
It should be noted that PSB, NAD, and BlueSound are all owned by Lenbrook Industries, resulting in their common use together at shows.

taters

Jun 6, 2012

Sim audio make very good products but they are in a crowded field and they just don't have the cache of ARC, Pass, Ayre, etc, etc.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sim audio make very good products but they are in a crowded field and they just don't have the cache of ARC, Pass, Ayre, etc, etc.

Agreed. Why do you think that is so? Lack of show participation or dealer network size...advertising, perhaps?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing