Why no love for Focal?

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
The prices are amazing
Wow this is news to me. However, the prices as shown are really not realistic.

I own a pair of Stellas but it took me years to get tame it. I really like it now but my next pair of speakers are unlikely to be Focals. Too much work and time to get them burned in. Time is a diminishing commodity for me. Maybe this is an end game speakers for me (or maybe not:cool:)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Their tweeters are love it or leave it.

That said Albert Porters Grands sound awesome, but most don’t have his room nor setup. Not a hint of brightness.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Their tweeters are love it or leave it.

That said Albert Porters Grands sound awesome, but most don’t have his room nor setup. Not a hint of brightness.
See, that's why I mentioned elsewhere that the Focal Utopia is easily misunderstood. When I took delivery of the Stellas, they sounded thin, bright and sibilance a plenty. Less than well recorded music sounded excruciating. I wanted to throw them away but could not afford to. Wanted to swap with my friend's Magico S7s etc etc. Self doubt & complete loss of confidence in my judgement because when I auditioned at the dealer's with similar amp & exactly the same CD replay system, the speakers sounded great. Little did I know that the dealer pair had already been there for months & had thousands of hours of run-in.

2 years have gone by & I am starting to appreciate their transformation. The nasty sibilance, brightness etc are all gone. I am starting to enjoy them but the journey took too long.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
My dealer is always taking trades and he sets them up for quick resale. I was listening to a pair of focal 1028be's and was completely stunned by how much new information the speakers were delivering. I asked him to play a track from Supertramp 'Breakfast in America' and all that resolution turned to a look of horror on his face as he couldn't turn the volume down fast enough. Great for some music or heavily damped rooms? idk

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Focal's elements are among the best there is,
The problem with Focal Speakers is that they don't know how to make all together speakers that can play music (sorry)

Reactions: orfeo_monteverdi

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
I just got the focal scalas evo and they are damn amazing. I am surprised there is not more focal fans. With that said I dislike their headphone sound so I was surprised to like the scala!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Focal speakers are some of the best I've heard
Their beryllium tweeter is probably the best I've heard.
And there's seem to be little talk about them around here .
Why is that ?
Are they not "hi end " enough ?
They sued a a customer for complaining about a product.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Johan K and bonzo75

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
What did he complain about… -Frogs in the speaker box, jumping in and out through the bass port.. :D ..??!!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
I've heard the Grand Utopia in an amazing system.

It struck me as being very resolving, very fast, and incredibly free of distortions.

It was also very flat sounding (though, like most systems, I think it was more a function of the distance from the speaker and the speaker to the wall).

It wasn't a speaker I thought I would love to have.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
A good friend has a Focal that was about $14k. His system kicks butt. Its very alive and has excellent bass. He feeds it with a Krell KSA250. All digital. He worked on his room to tune it all. His $25k system is up there wirh systems I have heard in the $200k range.

Motoman

Jul 24, 2021
Miami Beach
They sued a a customer for complaining about a product.
Yes, I remember the thread. Really messed up. I had a pair of Focal Diablo Utopia III's and remember thinking that if that is the way that they stand behind their products, screw them. But the issue was not just complaining . . . the dealer sold him a pair as new that arrived damaged and neither the dealer nor Focal would replace them and the customer after a bunch of hassle had to sue the dealer and Focal.

I personally liked my Focal's, but they needed a tube amp to tame the tweeter. Very high WAF. I swapped them out several times for my Joseph Audio Pulsars, and with a tube amp, the Focals edged out the Pulsars at 3X the price, but with SS gear, the Pulsars edged out the Focals. The Pulsars put out a lot of bass too. Bottom line . . . Focals have a house sound, like most brands. If you like it, and you have the right system, they will sound excellent to you.

Reactions: Gregadd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing