Why are so many recordings BRIGHT?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Even much of the good stuff from the 50s and 60s is bright.

Was it / is it a technology issue, preferences of the engineers, taste of the buying public, or something else, or yet any combination of these?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Was it / is it a technology issue, preferences of the engineers, taste of the buying public, or something else, or yet any combination of these?

Recordings in what genre?

Wonner Naus

Oct 28, 2015
USA
I guess that is a hidden advantage of growing older. Nothing is ever too bright.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Jazz for sure

Really? At least 80 % of my jazz CDs are just right in tonality. Perhaps your system is bright ;)

Pop? Now there's a lot of bright stuff, even though you find some good recordings too.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I don't have that issue at all with jazz or classical in my system in my room. I have heard plenty of bright sounding stuff at shows however. The upcoming NY show should be interesting.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

The monitors they used during playback were wooly sounding. They over compensated with EQ.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Really? At least 80 % of my jazz CDs are just right in tonality. Perhaps your system is bright ;)

Pop? Now there's a lot of bright stuff, even though you find some good recordings too.

I'm pretty flat up there, actually. But obviously this is very subjective, and depends on what we have gotten used to...

Yet, I would tend to think that it's probably more than 80% of your jazz collection is on the bright side.

Here's Fremer complaining about it and suggesting it was epidemic in that era (late '50s):

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/mo-fis-kob-kind-blah#fcbWphkq4BA1fpyW.97

Another example is the musically-sublime Walking in Space by Quincy Jones from the late 60s, 1968, I think. The high res vinyl rip and the CD I have are both a bit bright.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If there was ever a more vivid example of generalisation ...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Could it be that the system you are listening to is too bright? I know that there are a ton of bright systems out there, many posing as 'accurate' and 'highly resolving'. Or, perhaps it is as Andre correctly points out.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Could it also be your speakers? ...In addition to equalized music recordings leaning on the bright side of the moon, instead of the dark side.

Yes, it depends very much of the music recordings from the various generations...the 20s, 30s, 40s, ... the 70s and 80s were awful, the 90s slowly near the end got it a little better, the CDs with recordings from the 50s, 60s, and LPs from that era...it all depends of the record labels and the master chief recordist guy @ the controls.

85% of all my music collection is pure crap! It sounds awful, bright, no life, no soul, no nothing solid but everything crap.
Now I try to stick with the pro record labels,,,the one that record real music from real musicians.

But yeah, I totally agree with you...most is just too bright...like if they recorded them for people having speakers without hi fidelity...lifeless.

________

What are your speakers...Klipsch? ...Do you use any type of EQ? ...Is your room 'bright' sounding or 'dead' sounding?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't think of bright. My question is "where has the mid-bass gone?"

I remember my folks' systems and my uncle's system. I remember my grandpa's consoles. They surely weren't paragons of transparency or imaging. Those underdamped 10" woofers or larger of yore would never be considered "fast". Neither did they go very deep, probably a few dB down at 30Hz if you were lucky. These old systems however would never be considered "skinny" sounding.

I got into the hobby in the 90s, the very start of the slim tower trend. It's a trend that shifted or resulted from a shift from the emphasis on tone to that of imaging and holography. It was the decade the mini-monitor gained firm foothold as well. In this day and age, one must ask. What are those big loudspeaker guys looking for? I'll say this. Quality mid-bass. There's only so much a 6" woofer and a sub can do IF you happened to have a large room and want some distance between you and your speakers. Look at the likes of VR-11s, Sun Rays, La Assolutas, X-1s, 2's XLFs, MM3s, MM7s, G1s, Cardinals, Q7s, Sentinels and Tesseracts. These use only one or two midranges per channel and boy do they need a lot of mid-bass wooferage (can we make that a real word :D ) to keep things balanced once your listening distance gets past 10 feet or so. Now look at the old stuff. Small cone or dome tweeters and midrange drivers and big woofers. Look back further and you get a two way, horn and big ass woofer. Look back further still. Little tweeter REALLY big ass horn loaded woofer. You get the opposite complaint. We got the tone BUT the speakers just don't disappear. Sigh.

The technical explanation is rather easy as it has to do with equal loudness sensitivity correlated with how quickly dB drops with every doubling of distance with a point source. Add to that that this range is a total crap shoot when it comes to small room acoustics where the dreaded suck out or peak is most likely to rear its ugly head. In hindsight, this could be the reason so many people bought into and began to chant the common mantra, "no bass is better than bad bass" which in turn resulted in the "room treatment" crusade.

Fast forward to today and if asked what little speaker is everybody talking about? Elac's B5s and B6s. What does it have? Mid-bass baby. Andrew purposely went to great lengths to make sure the little guys could deliver without blowing up.

Sorry for the rant but maybe the majority of us are ground hog day-ing in sync with fashion. Imaging and tone like skinny jeans and bell bottoms 'cept now you get a choice of lycra on top of nylon LOL! :D

I know quite a few people that are really happy where they are sonically. Some have big speakers, some sub sats, some regular sized floor standers. Some are all tube, some solid state, some vinyl, digital and both. For trips I started checking curves unweighted and on slow response on my phone. In every instance which includes my own room set to my tastes (not targets) each and every one has one thing in common. The slope is much greater than the B&K curve at 90dB when music not pink noise is what is being measured. Those with flatter responses never sit still and are continuously fiddling with something or other.

So where did the mid-bass go? I don't know where it went off to but if the present trend continues, it's on its way back. That for me is a GOOD thing.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I don't think of bright. My question is "where has the mid-bass gone?"

I remember my folks' systems and my uncle's system. I remember my grandpa's consoles. They surely weren't paragons of transparency or imaging. Those underdamped 10" woofers or larger of yore would never be considered "fast". Neither did they go very deep, probably a few dB down at 30Hz if you were lucky. These old systems however would never be considered "skinny" sounding.

[…]

So where did the mid-bass go? I don't know where it went off to but if the present trend continues, it's on its way back. That for me is a GOOD thing.

Yes. Mid-bass is important and mine is great. Even though I have mini monitors. Perhaps that is one reason why I was able to say earlier in the thread that I didn't find most recordings sound bright in my system, if 'bright' means anemic.

You talk about the ELAC monitors; in my case the KEF passive radiators in the back do the trick to get mid-bass performance up to par. Pictures here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17334-My-minimonitor-subwoofer-system/page2

Madfloyd and another music buddy of mine, both bass players themselves, think that stand-up bass sounds great in my system. This of course is possible only of the mid-bass plays its part. Madfloyd also said that he cannot anymore hear the crossover point between main speakers and subwoofer, so linear is the bass (see his comments on my system thread, linked in signature).

I do sit quite close to the speakers, 9 feet away from each one (8 feet from the mid point on the line between the speakers). My room is 24 x (12-13) x 8.5 feet.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Yes. Mid-bass is important and mine is great. Even though I have mini monitors. Perhaps that is one reason why I was able to say earlier in the thread that I didn't find most recordings sound bright in my system, if 'bright' means anemic.

You talk about the ELAC monitors; in my case the KEF passive radiators in the back do the trick to get mid-bass performance up to par. Pictures here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17334-My-minimonitor-subwoofer-system/page2

Madfloyd and another music buddy of mine, both bass players themselves, think that stand-up bass sounds great in my system. This of course is possible only of the mid-bass plays its part. Madfloyd also said that he cannot anymore hear the crossover point between main speakers and subwoofer, so linear is the bass (see his comments on my system thread, linked in signature).

I do sit quite close to the speakers, 9 feet away from each one (8 feet from the mid point on the line between the speakers). My room is 24 x (12-13) x 8.5 feet.

FWIW, in my system, moving to new speakers with 2 x 15" woofers on each channel was a true revelation in terms of mid-bass improvement. Not so much deep bass. This made it easy to hear the massive difference betwen the amount of bass present between recordings, and consequently the perceived "fullness" of sound. The litmus test to me is upright bass. For phenomenally recorded upright bass with solo acoustic guitar, get your hands on a copy of "Gitane" (Charlie Haden and Christian Escoude).

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
FWIW, in my system, moving to new speakers with 2 x 15" woofers on each channel was a true revelation in terms of mid-bass improvement. Not so much deep bass.

I have a subwoofer in conjunction with my mini-monitors, but that affects the deep bass more than the mid-bass.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is there a sample album and track and we could examine on this front? What is an example of a bright album that we are discussing?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
My 2x 15" are integral to mains / not subs.

I understand; if this works for you best, then great. My set-up is fully adequate in my room, as explained to be heard not just by me, but also by others.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing