Where my Black Flag people at?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Love all of the punk and post punk bands. My favorite old school punk bands on my system Minor Threat and Fugazi. For modern post punk bands, I've found that they are mostly poorly recorded. The Mars Volta however is awesome at full power on my horn/DHT system.
Get the two new Mars Volta albums if you haven’t. Same songs, one version is electric and one acoustic. Mellower than the usual, both sound great.

Reactions: jeff1225

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I was a big fan of Bad Brains during their heyday, especially I against i. A good sampler for those who aren't familiar with Black Flag is the Repo Man movie soundtrack. Cool record.

The Bad Brains were such an influential band and with unbelievable skills, in a music scene and genre that was almost always lacking in skills but making it up with passion, heart and sheer energy.

The New York City Hardcore (NYHC) scene was greatly influenced by the Bad Brains, from rival D.C., when they hit CBGB’s and never left.

Here is my favorite Bad Brains song:

Last edited:

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
The Bad Brains were such an influential band and with unbelievable skills, in a music scene and genre that was almost always lacking in skills but making it up with passion, heart and sheer energy.

The New York City Hardcore (NYHC) scene was greatly influenced by the Bad Brains, from rival D.C., when they hit CBGB’s and never left.

Here is my favorite Bad Brains song:

Love Bad Brains

Reactions: Carlos269

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

-- H.L. Mencken

Reactions: n+1

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Get the two new Mars Volta albums if you haven’t. Same songs, one version is electric and one acoustic. Mellower than the usual, both sound great.
Just saw them live in Los Angeles. They mostly played songs from the first two albums and it was one of the best shows I’ve seen in a while.

Reactions: djsina2

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
X has always been a favorite. Going to hear them later this summer. IMO, side 2 of "More Fun in The New World" is a top 10 album side (and is actually pretty well recorded). Los Angeles is my go to...

Last edited:
Reactions: Klonk and n+1

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
And of course, X is featured in Penelope Spheeris' classic 1980 documentary of the LA punk scene "The Decline of Wester Civilization"

• Love
Reactions: n+1 and wil

n+1

Jan 4, 2023
And of course, X is featured in Penelope Spheeris' classic 1980 documentary of the LA punk scene "The Decline of Wester Civilization"

Fear - what a band. I took drum lessons from the drummer. Nicest man in the world.

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
Fear - what a band. I took drum lessons from the drummer. Nicest man in the world.

He's back playing with Fear again and arguably hasn't lost a step playing in his original, frenzied style. His speed and precision still amazes me.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
How about something a little more upbeat for this wonderful Saturday:

Reactions: djsina2

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Bandcamp oft times makes me feel like an ADHD monkey in a cocaine experiment...Last Quokka an Australian punk band popped in up in my recommendations this week and I hit the lever

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
In my opinion, one of the most underrated bands from the early 80’s hardcore punk scene were the Sons of Ishmael, from Canada. Years later these guys still had the sheer urgency and speed that I love and enjoy. Here they are in the studio with two short blasts (songs) from the past:

These songs were redone in the studio some 10 years ago for an album release that never happened. I hope that they will find an away to make these studio sessions available to the public, specially now that it is easier to distribute music in file form. Truly manic urgency and playing skill by a surprising large number of band members

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Kicking Sunday into high gear:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing