When You Want to Feel Like a Genius...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
For those of us who own decent systems and love the sound of jazz music played from vinyl, I think that most of us love and treasure the moments when we put on a record and the sound that pours out of our system is so startlingly real, pure, beautiful, quiet with regards to LP noise, and dynamic that it damn near takes your breath away. These are the moments when you mentally pat yourself on the back for putting together such a great sounding system which included setting up your table, arm, and cartridge. You just smile and bask in the inner glow of your profound wisdom as the music washes over you.

So, if you want to feel like a genius for being so smart to put together a system like you did and for making such a great choice with regards to your table, arm, and cartridge and what a great job you did setting it up, and you want to hear some incredible jazz all at the same time, go buy a copy of Ben Webster and Associates. And calling the rest of the band members on this recording "associates" is like calling the Beatles a pretty decent rock band. I might have raved about this LP before, but even if I did, I probably didn't rave hard enough. I don't think there are enough adjectives in the English language to describe the wonderful sound of this LP.

Now the version I'm ranting and raving about is the limited edition ORG reissue recorded at 45 RPM over two LPs. Normally when I buy limited edition LPs that only 5,000 were pressed, it seems like I always end up with pressing number 4,999. This time I got lucky and my pressing number is 178. I can't tell you how other pressings of the record sound in comparison to this one (maybe jazzdoc can). I can't tell you how any digital version of this recording compares either because I don't own any. I can only promise you that if you love jazz and buy this recording, you too will feel like Forest Gump when the drill Sargent looked at him after he finished reassembling his M-16 in record time and said, "Gump! You're a Goddamn genius!"

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I felt the same way when I first heard my Cisco pressing of Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up! (s/n: 1861)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I felt the same way when I first heard my Cisco pressing of Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up! (s/n: 1861)

Like I said, those are the moments we live for.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have pressing number 910. I rated 5/5 stars...

:) Glad to know that you have it too and feel the same way. Hard to believe this is a 1959 recording. All would be/wanna-be recording engineers should have to have a mandatory listening session with classic jazz so they could see how high the bar was set for them back in the 1950s with those terrible, primitive 2 track analog R2R decks and those terrible tube electronics that everything was recorded through.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the recommendations gents! I have close to 10 Dexter Gordon albums and Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson (and I have nearly 20 Oscar Peterson albums). So I just picked up both of your recommendations from Amazon! Thanks! Listening to Freddie Hubbard Open Sesame (XRCD) at the moment while my wife and I enjoy Sat nite.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
:) Glad to know that you have it too and feel the same way. Hard to believe this is a 1959 recording. All would be/wanna-be recording engineers should have to have a mandatory listening session with classic jazz so they could see how high the bar was set for them back in the 1950s with those terrible, primitive 2 track analog R2R decks and those terrible tube electronics that everything was recorded through.

I'll have to go back to my copy again. I thought it good, but not a 4/5. I had the opposite opinion though that the recording showed the limitations of this very early stereo recording --as well how this recording came out of the Golden Age of Stereo Recording. Though good, I never put the Verves (even though some were done by RVG) on the same sonic platform as Impulse, Blue Note, Contemporary or even some of the better Columbia jazz recordings.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles-I only know how my copy sounds, and I'm damn glad to own it and play it. I don't think this is the only Verve I have that I think is killer, but I never paid that much attention to the jazz labels as I did the music. There seems to have been an unwritten rule that all jazz music had to be recorded exceptionally well because so much of it is.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Another LP to look for. Thanks Mark. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing