My cartridge’s stylus cantilever skews when dropped to record

Croc999

Jan 4, 2024
Israel
Hello All,
My turnable was setup by the dealer and sounds good.

But today i took a look on the stylus with a lupe for the first time.
With the record stopped when i drop the needle i see that cantilever gets skewed to the inside of the record.
I meat it looks kinda bent.
When tonarm is up the cantilever looks straight.
This this true on non moving record with zero antiskating.
When i add antiskating the cantilever skews inside even more. Much more actually.
What can cause this and what alignment/adjustment should fix it?

JR from Wallytools talks in one of his videos about "tonarm horizontal force" - is that it?

The tonarm BTW is Nottingham Ace Space - which is a kind of unipivot:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
If this issue is easy to capture with a camera, a picture might be useful.

When playing a record does the cantilever look skewed still? Should be easy to see without a loup.

Reactions: Croc999

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
What you describe might be caused by improper tonearm azimuth adjustment. This is especially so with a unipivot-type arm which is not held in horizontal aligment by a set of four gimbal bearing common with other types of tonearms. A unipivot arm is free to rotate in the horizontal axis. Adjust the tonearm so that the top of the headshell is exactly horizontal with respect to the platter when the tonearm is resting on a stationary record.

If the tonearm is not horizontal--that is, if the tonearm azimuth is improperly adjusted--the angle between the headshell and the platter/record will tend to make the stylus deflect or bend either toward the center of the record or toward the outside edge of the record.

Another cause could be that your antiskating mechanism is not truly disengaged even when you think it is. The mechanism's springs may be out of adjustment or if it uses a combination of springs and hanging weights, the weights may still be applying some antiskating torque even if you adjust the antiskating to zero.

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
If the headshell is level, and the cantilever looks OK but only skews to one side when lowered onto the record, even with anti-skate disengaged, then I suspect that there is something wrong with the cartridge suspension, and it probably needs to be returned to the retailer.

Nottingham Analogue arms are unipivot, but 'captured' in a way that means there's virtually no wobble. Also, the anti-skate mechanism consists of a simple weighted rod that acts on a bar protruding from the right side of the 'bearing' housing, so no springs and all parts totally visible. Pretty obvious when it's engaged or not. In my experience pretty heroic levels of anti-skating force are needed to induce more than a tiny degree of lateral cantilever skew.

@Croc999 Is the cartridge Moving Magnet or Moving Coil? A video showing the deflection as it occurs would be helpful.

Croc999

Jan 4, 2024
Israel
Thank you all for your input on this !!!
This is an interesting issue - let's see if we can get to bottom of it...

As Shuggie said:
- the Nottingham tonearm has very little side to side movement range
- its antiskating is mechanical lever with weight - so when it's OFF it's OFF

The azimuth optically looks ~OK (i think).

IMG_5772.jpg

IMG_5768.jpg

Some videos with static/dynamic and antiskating OFF/ON

I also rechecked and readjusted leveling (seems no changes to the issue) and WTF (was OK).
Also played with tonearm cable to make sure it's not twisted (as JR suggests in his video), and even did a half twist to the opposite direction....

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Use it with anti-skating. It looks best like that. There can be many reasons for this but it’s hard to figure out which without actually putting hands on. If you have AM software trying zenith alignment is the logical thing to do.

Another thing you can do is checking side force. IOT do that;
- first zero VTF, tonearm should float,
- zero anti skating
- place VTF scale as shown in the picture and turn it on afterwards not before.
- check side force of tonearm by placing tonearm to the scale just like the one in the picture
- set anti skating and check again.
IMG_0276.jpeg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There you go. Dynamic azimuth. When I was starting out with "serious" analog. I had a JMW arm on an Aries. Cart at the time was I believe a CA Strad. This was the mid 2000s or so and the talk in our local forums was that CA carts in general sounded edgy. It was a pain in the butt with the weird way VPI would make you adjust azimuth with that off center counterweight and antiskate by twisting the wires? Dunno, never tried twisting the wires as I was too afraid to break them with my sausage fingers. Anywayyyyyy...... a friend came in and suggested I go for dynamic rather than static since I had a unipivot arm. I never quite got it perfectly but the improvement was easily noticeably. This prompted me to upgrade to a second hand Phantom 1 on a second hand HRX, it was a snap to do repeatably with the Graham. That pretty much killed the edgy tag on CA carts as well as other "mosquito proboscis" cantilevered carts. Looks like your dealer knew this and did right by you.

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
Thank you all for your input on this !!!
This is an interesting issue - let's see if we can get to bottom of it...

Some videos with static/dynamic and antiskating OFF/ON

I also rechecked and readjusted leveling (seems no changes to the issue) and WTF (was OK).
Also played with tonearm cable to make sure it's not twisted (as JR suggests in his video), and even did a half twist to the opposite direction....
I wonder if the arm's lift platform is complicating things in your videos, because in the first one the cantilever seems to be deflected and then settles pretty much immediately back more or less where it should be.

Can you do another video, dynamic, no anti-skate force but running on for a little while after the tip has settled?

Croc999

Jan 4, 2024
Israel
Few more tests today.
Since @mtemur asked to do a test with electronic scale - i had to make mine working.
i bought one exactly like this long time ago but it came without batteries.
a shop nearest to me didn't have this AG12 type and didn't bother to look further.
So today i went to 5 shops - none of them have those.
But i saw that LR44 kinda fit - so i've used them for now.

Anyway.....
First obvious test was to recheck WTF.
Instead of 2.4 i've got 3.6.
Ooops...
How the hell WTF had changed???
Since the dealer had set it ~18 months ago i never touched it (he had used a fancy ORB digital scale)

To be sure I rechecked the scale with 5gr weight - it's OK.
I created a platform to be closer to real stylus height while on the record - same result.
So i readjusted to 2.4 and this is how it looks now:

It still looks to me a bit skewed - isn't it?

Couldn't do @mtemur 's test - the scale went crazy when i've putted it on the side....
But did test without measuring - i balanced the tonearm in a zero height state and with NO antiskating - this how it looked:

The leveling was readjusted yesterday with 3 different levels (each shows a bit different but variations are small).

BTW when i was done and went to set 2.4 VTF i recalled that it should be set with NO antiskating - am i right?
So it's 2.4gr and with antiskating ON it shows 2.35gr.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
First obvious test was to recheck WTF.
Instead of 2.4 i've got 3.6.
Ooops...
How the hell WTF had changed???
Since the dealer had set it ~18 months ago i never touched it (he had used a fancy ORB digital scale)
That’s perfectly normal but not ok. It’s a common problem with uni-pivots. When you lock tonearm at rest position or because of another problem uni-pivot moves from it’s position. This changes the balance of the tonearm and inescapably changes VTF. Sometimes anti-skating or azimuth mechanisms pull pivot from it’s position. Grahams have strong magnets for azimuth causing this VTF problem.

Couldn't do @mtemur 's test - the scale went crazy when i've putted it on the side....
Try turning the scale on only after putting it on it’s side, not before.

BTW when i was done and went to set 2.4 VTF i recalled that it should be set with NO antiskating - am i right?
So it's 2.4gr and with antiskating ON it shows 2.35gr.
VTF may change because of anti-skating on uni-pivots. Another issue but not a big deal. Real VTF of your tonearm is 2.35g. You should set VTF anti-skating engaged.

In the first video I don’t see a big problem, it looks ok to me. In the second video your tonearm has internal forces helping anti-skating but it doesn’t look too strong. If you can manage to get a reading with scale I assume it will be around 0.05-0.1g without anti-skating engaged. It should be ok. Final value should be 0.28g for 2.4g VTF.

Last edited:

Croc999

Jan 4, 2024
Israel
Update - got it measured few days ago - side force shows 0.29gr.
Antiskating is disengaged during this measurement.

Tonearm Side Force.jpg

I'm not worried because next week my new Kuzma setup is arriving.

But still i'm curious what makes this arm to behave like this...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing