What's your favorite LIVE!!! album?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Gary, thanks for reminding us of Shootout at the Canteen from the other thread here- I found a pink rim of it. I love the performances of the Allmans on Live at the Fillmore East, it is an iconic album. Unfortunately, I don't think it sounds very good- I have an original pressing and a Classic reissue.
Question: there seems to be love for MoFi vinyl. Maybe it's the difference between old MoFi and new MoFi? Most of the old MoFi stuff I have is bettered by original pressings.

Last edited:

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Muddy Mississippi Waters "Live" - already a great album, the "Legacy Edition" adds a second CD of incredible music. On CD, I prefer the second CD. But the first press promo I have is spectacular.

The Pizza Tapes - I don't know if this would be regarded as a Live album, but Jerry Garcia, David Grisman and Tony Rice were hanging out at David's place and made a bunch of unrehearsed recordings.

I was a senior in high school when Risky Business came out and was inspired to collect every verison of "mannish boy" by Muddy i could get my hands on and this was his best, imo. Its a great live album.

The pizza tapes were legendary and fun to listen too, thanks for reminding me.

pentatonic

Feb 14, 2013
Montreal, Qc
Boo! Hisssssss! :p

I absolutely love live recordings. There is this energy and feel that really brings a smile to my face and I'm continually trying to seek the better ones out.

I agree John, and on some occasions the band's interaction with the crowd just creates magic, magic that can't exist on studio work. 1 omission I realize on my list and actually my all time favorite live album is without a doubt Made in Japan (Purple), that was one of those nights where Purple was untouchable, Blackmore delivered Lazy just so superbly, a magic moment in music.

You guys are talking about two different albums. ;)

Little Feat vs. Allman Bros.

Re: Umphrey's, so many to suggest but some easy ones are "Raw Stewage Unfiltered", 1/20/13, 4/27/12, 8/25 & 26/06. I'll think of some more if you're still interested.

Thanks I'll start with that and if ever I need more I'll pm you if that's ok. Thanks buddy ;)

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
French Canadian radio did a ridiculously good job when transmitting this 1985 live concert. Fortunately, it was also released on vinyl. Get the original Atlantic pressing - 81699-1.
(As I've just secured a Mint and a Near Mint version, in addition to the one I already have, I'm freely sharing this recommendation.)

Live_at_the_Montreal_Jazz_Festival_1985.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What a wonderful thread!! I've found a lot of new albums to buy. :D I'm sure that my credit card and paypal account's going to be smoking by the end of the weekend.

Here are a few of my favorites that I do not remember seeing along the way....

Muddy Mississippi Waters "Live" - already a great album, the "Legacy Edition" adds a second CD of incredible music. On CD, I prefer the second CD. But the first press promo I have is spectacular.

View attachment 8243

The Pizza Tapes - I don't know if this would be regarded as a Live album, but Jerry Garcia, David Grisman and Tony Rice were hanging out at David's place and made a bunch of unrehearsed recordings. The tapes were stolen by the pizza delivery guy, and fans were bringing copies to Grateful Dead concerts asking for autographs. Garcia released this in 2000, and in 2011, an "Extra Large" edition was released with almost all of the music recorded over 2 days - mistakes, out-takes, banter between the musicians and all.

View attachment 8244

Thanks Gary! Listened to the 3 of them on Amazon (sinps only) and got these 2!

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I have quite a few live albums, but I find that only two stand on their own: Bob Marley and the Wailers' Live, and Lou Reed's Rock 'n Roll Animal. Other than that, I mostly prefer the studio recordings.

I didn't fully think this through. To add:

Nirvana Unplugged in NY
Ray Charles Live
Allman Brothers Band At Filmore East

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary, thanks for reminding us of Shootout at the Canteen from the other thread here- I found a pink rim of it. I love the performances of the Allmans on Live at the Fillmore East, it is an iconic album. Unfortunately, I don't think it sounds very good- I have an original pressing and a Classic reissue.
Question: there seems to be love for MoFi vinyl. Maybe it's the difference between old MoFi and new MoFi? Most of the old MoFi stuff I have is bettered by original pressings.

I'm with you on the Allmans Live at Fillmore East - iconic performance and music, so-so sound quality. Not bad enough to be offensive, but not good enough either. I have original and the old MoFi.

I've not been a fan of the MoFi's - not even the UHQR. They seem to "try too hard" and music is about being in the groove and feeling the intent and spirit of the performers. ESPECIALLY so when it's LIVE.

Welcome to the Canteen is one of my "forget you're here" albums. The sound quality isn't great (who can guarantee sound quality even when you are AT the performance?), however, it's so transparent that you feel like you are there.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm with you on the Allmans Live at Fillmore East - iconic performance and music, so-so sound quality. Not bad enough to be offensive, but not good enough either. I have original and the old MoFi.

I've not been a fan of the MoFi's - not even the UHQR. They seem to "try too hard" and music is about being in the groove and feeling the intent and spirit of the performers. ESPECIALLY so when it's LIVE.

Welcome to the Canteen is one of my "forget you're here" albums. The sound quality isn't great (who can guarantee sound quality even when you are AT the performance?), however, it's so transparent that you feel like you are there.

I'm 100% with you on this Gary, although my copy is the reissue. It doesn't seem to want to come of the platter. :D.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I forgot those ones (this thread has put me into live mode):

- Talking Heads : Stop Making Sense
- Eric Clapton : Live at Budokan
- Peter Gabriel: Peter Gebriel Plays Live & Secret World Live
- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds : Live Seeds
- Willy De Ville : Live
- Alain Bashung : La tournée des grands espaces

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just received this...not all the way thru...but a stunning album so far...this was a live album recording at Starbucks at 29th and Park Avenue South in Manhattan in 2003...David Brubeck! Two nites...they closed the store, and those still there (standing room only) got an up close and personal jazz concert. way cool and very well recorded...

516QRIbEX9L__SL500_AA300_.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks, Lloyd. While this is not a Jazz thread, that's a great recommendation. I think that I'll pick it up.

Dave Brubeck's late night recordings are great.... he seems to change after midnight and his touch becomes more contemplative and but had a harder energy. Witness his other late-night recording in New York City - Late Night Brubeck on Telarc.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Ray Brown Trio live at starbucks is also excellent. i think it was the first of the live jazz at starbucks CDs.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I just received these CD's from Amazon.ca about an hour ago...they were $5, so I thought why not.

Greatests Hits
Jazz Impressions of New York
Time Changes

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Gary...thanks...i just saw the thread is technically organized under Pop/Rock/Blues/R&B...i always just saw it in the main menu as 'Whats your favorite live album?'

And now i seem to have derailed a bit with several jazz posts in a row! oops. Well, hopefully as with some threads...people at least stick to the concept of great live albums.

I'll check out a few of the jazz ones that have been mentioned!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I just received these CD's from Amazon.ca about an hour ago...they were $5, so I thought why not.

Greatests Hits
Jazz Impressions of New York
Time Changes

OOPS...wrong thread.....sorry guys!

Just listened to Cheap Trick - At Budokan...what a nice trip back in time!:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing