What's your favorite LIVE!!! album?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Well, I figure it's time I post my single most favorite live album/performance. Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus" album.

My original LP is worn slap out and I have many, many different versions of this album including a still sealed 180g Mo-Fi LP. I'll try my best to wear out the Mo-Fi CD and only bring out the LP for the most special of occasions.

Tom

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Umphrey's McGee has almost 1000 live albums available at livedownloads, with probably a couple of hundred available in 24/48 as well as the usual 16/44.1. Sound quality is much better than average for this day and age.

It's hard to pick out the best, but I'd say there are probably 100 or more better than the Live at The Murat album.

pentatonic

Feb 14, 2013
Montreal, Qc
Umphrey's McGee has almost 1000 live albums available at livedownloads, with probably a couple of hundred available in 24/48 as well as the usual 16/44.1. Sound quality is much better than average for this day and age.

It's hard to pick out the best, but I'd say there are probably 100 or more better than the Live at The Murat album.

Well I'm not going to argue that as I have not listened to all of those, and still believe that seeing them live is the best way when you know the material and see how they travel with it and in this regard they are all unique, but if you could point me towards a few of the best I sure would appreciate it kind sir :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, I figure it's time I post my single most favorite live album/performance. Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus" album.

My original LP is worn slap out and I have many, many different versions of this album including a still sealed 180g Mo-Fi LP. I'll try my best to wear out the Mo-Fi CD and only bring out the LP for the most special of occasions.

Tom

Hi Tom - there is a 2002 Remaster version and what appears to be an earlier MoFi version...both 2CDs? Is this correct? What do you think is the best 2-cd version of this?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Anyone have any views on the Deluxe 2-CD remastering of Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore vs the 2CD MFSL version? I am aware there are more tracks on the former, but just curious as to anyone's guidance on the quality of the 2 masterings. Thanks!

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I have quite a few live albums, but I find that only two stand on their own: Bob Marley and the Wailers' Live, and Lou Reed's Rock 'n Roll Animal. Other than that, I mostly prefer the studio recordings.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have quite a few live albums, but I find that only two stand on their own: Bob Marley and the Wailers' Live, and Lou Reed's Rock 'n Roll Animal. Other than that, I mostly prefer the studio recordings.

Boo! Hisssssss! :p

I absolutely love live recordings. There is this energy and feel that really brings a smile to my face and I'm continually trying to seek the better ones out.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hi Tom - there is a 2002 Remaster version and what appears to be an earlier MoFi version...both 2CDs? Is this correct? What do you think is the best 2-cd version of this?
Hello, lloydelee21. I just so happen to have both and I can say that hands down, the sound of the Mo-Fi edition is better. It offers a very distinct separation of the instruments and better sound stage over the 2002 remaster. But, and yes there is a "but", it does not offer the previously issued outtakes which includes an additional 10 songs not included on any other album set I have ran across yet. Below is a list of the songs I'm referring too;

One Love Stand
Rock and Roll Doctor
Skin it Back
On Your Way Down
Walkin' all Night
Cold, Cold, Cold
Day at the Dog Races

And then it also includes outtakes first issued on Hoy-Hoy!

Skin it Back
Red Streamliner
Teenage Nervous Breakdown

These additional songs are just as wonderful as the original album. One other thing I'd like to mention is that the Mo-Fi edition does include the entire original song set and does not omit "Fat Man in the Bathtub" and if memory serves me correctly, "Apolitical Blues" like the original single CD set did. I have it around here somewhere but I can't seem to find it right now. Anyway, my point is, it does include the two songs that were omitted on the original single CD set so that it would fit on one disc. So I guess if I were to answer your question correctly, you would have to decide what's more important. Sound quality or (added) content.

Tom

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello, lloydelee21. I just so happen to have both and I can say that hands down, the sound of the Mo-Fi edition is better. It offers a very distinct separation of the instruments and better sound stage over the 2002 remaster. But, and yes there is a "but", it does not offer the previously issued outtakes which includes an additional 10 songs not included on any other album set I have ran across yet. Below is a list of the songs I'm referring too;

One Love Stand
Rock and Roll Doctor
Skin it Back
On Your Way Down
Walkin' all Night
Cold, Cold, Cold
Day at the Dog Races

And then it also includes outtakes first issued on Hoy-Hoy!

Skin it Back
Red Streamliner
Teenage Nervous Breakdown

These additional songs are just as wonderful as the original album. One other thing I'd like to mention is that the Mo-Fi edition does include the entire original song set and does not omit "Fat Man in the Bathtub" and if memory serves me correctly, "Apolitical Blues" like the original single CD set did. I have it around here somewhere but I can't seem to find it right now. Anyway, my point is, it does include the two songs that were omitted on the original single CD set so that it would fit on one disc. So I guess if I were to answer your question correctly, you would have to decide what's more important. Sound quality or (added) content.

Tom

Thanks...yes, the MoFi has only 7 tracks across 2 CDs...the remastered 2CD version has 13 tracks. what to do? ;)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
You guys are talking about two different albums. ;)

Little Feat vs. Allman Bros.

Re: Umphrey's, so many to suggest but some easy ones are "Raw Stewage Unfiltered", 1/20/13, 4/27/12, 8/25 & 26/06. I'll think of some more if you're still interested.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks...yes, the MoFi has only 7 tracks across 2 CDs...the remastered 2CD version has 13 tracks. what to do? ;)

I decided to get the 'non MoFi' Remasetered Allman Bros Live Fillmore with 13 tracks (instead of 7-track MoFi). I like Allman but the MoFi is 8x more expensive, and i am not THAT big a fan of Allman Bros!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
That's a good set. I think MoFi has both Live at F.E. and Eat A Peach on their upcoming SACD release schedule, and Polydor still offers their SACD's (different mixes than the CD's you ordered) at very reasonable prices.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That's a good set. I think MoFi has both Live at F.E. and Eat A Peach on their upcoming SACD release schedule, and Polydor still offers their SACD's (different mixes than the CD's you ordered) at very reasonable prices.

Thanks! looking forward to it...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
You guys are talking about two different albums. ;)
Hello rbbert. It appears that you are correct. Lloydelee21, you do know I was talking about Little Feat when I responded right? I took it that was the one you were asking about based off of this post >>> http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-LIVE!!!-album&p=174780&viewfull=1#post174780

I only have the Deluxe Edition 2 disc set and 2 LP's of Allman Brothers, Live at Fillmore East. No Mo-Fi. Like you, I'm not that big of a fan.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Remember Three Dog Night - Live at the Forum?

Saw them in Montreal (coincidentally at the Montreal Forum) and thought it was one of the best live performances I ever saw. Their harmonies are to die for.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Here's another great LIVE album. Bad needledrop, but you'll get the picture. Saw them when they swung through Montreal and what a blast. The Evil Weed was plentiful! What a great time (and now a wonderful memory).

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Classical:

Alfred Brendel - Farewell Concerts

Rock:

Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros - Live at Acton Town Hall
The Who - Live at Leeds (a shame that the recent LP box only contains the studio albums)
Joy Division - Bains Douches

Jazz:

Al Di Meola, John Mc Laughlin, Paco De Lucia - Friday Night in San Francisco (The 2 Disc Set - 45 RPM)
Keith Jarreth - The Köln Concert

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Prog Rock

Steven Wilson Get All You deserve

I've heard him live, I have all his studio albums, all his other material and this is the *Best* audio quality (via BluRay) for any live show. It will give your system a big workout. Great playing, good HD video, this is the total package.

GetAllYouDeserve.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello rbbert. It appears that you are correct. Lloydelee21, you do know I was talking about Little Feat when I responded right? I took it that was the one you were asking about based off of this post >>> http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-LIVE!!!-album&p=174780&viewfull=1#post174780

I only have the Deluxe Edition 2 disc set and 2 LP's of Allman Brothers, Live at Fillmore East. No Mo-Fi. Like you, I'm not that big of a fan.

Tom

Got it! Thanks...went with the same CD as you...looking forward to it!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
What a wonderful thread!! I've found a lot of new albums to buy. :D I'm sure that my credit card and paypal account's going to be smoking by the end of the weekend.

Here are a few of my favorites that I do not remember seeing along the way....

First - Welcome to the Canteen - Traffic but not Traffic. It's attributed to the 7 members of Traffic at the time, but there's no mention of Traffic anywhere. The one with Traffic on the spine is a re-issue. Not a classically great audiophile album, but the music is terrific and everytime I play it, I'm teleported to Fairfield Halls, Croydon.

Canteen.jpg

Muddy Mississippi Waters "Live" - already a great album, the "Legacy Edition" adds a second CD of incredible music. On CD, I prefer the second CD. But the first press promo I have is spectacular.

Muddy Waters.jpg

The Pizza Tapes - I don't know if this would be regarded as a Live album, but Jerry Garcia, David Grisman and Tony Rice were hanging out at David's place and made a bunch of unrehearsed recordings. The tapes were stolen by the pizza delivery guy, and fans were bringing copies to Grateful Dead concerts asking for autographs. Garcia released this in 2000, and in 2011, an "Extra Large" edition was released with almost all of the music recorded over 2 days - mistakes, out-takes, banter between the musicians and all.

tumblr_m3j125B4Xu1qahr7wo1_1280.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing