What's the best way to discover new music?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So does Tidal. It also throws in things it wants to expose you to.

Last edited:

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
I don't stream so I discover "new" music (meaning either lastest releases from artists I am familiar with, or that of previously established or new artists that I am unfamiliar with ) via things such what I list below . Just goggle - new (insert genre e.g. jazz, classical) releases. After I find some that might interest me I'll use youtube to then check out some tracks to see if I want to go ahead and order . I don't know if you use any of these type resources, but if not you might consider giving them a try.

Examples:

WBF's What's Spinning Tonight thread (there are also multiple other threads here in the music section that are similar "learning" vehicles.

I listen to Sirius/XM in the car ; each channel has a website that provides a listing of music played throughout the day - artist and specific track, as well as , time of day the track was played.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Bandcamp makes me feel like an ADHD rat in the cocaine experiment...keep hitting the lever.

Reactions: Audiophile666

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
1-jazdoc sends me suggestions. when i buy the records tell the wife it's jazdoc's fault. and it is.

2-every Friday morning Quboz adds new streaming selections to hear. over the week i sample, those lead me to other selections, expanding exponentially every week. look for vinyl versions, or maybe the native format file to download if i really love it.

3--go upstairs and grab 10 Lp's from the 3000 pressing collection i bought 2 years ago, clean and listen to them, read the jackets, search online for relevant pressings.

RHMMMM

Feb 29, 2020
Austin, TX
I subscribe to Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, and Qobuz. I use their music discovery features like Spotify’s Discover Weekly playlist and peruse the other playlists curated manually by the streaming services and also those AI-generated based on my history.

Each service is different and has strengths. Most of my friends use Spotify, so based on my friend links in Spotify, I get recommendations based on friends listening habits. Spotify in the past had been the best, Apple Music was refreshing to use because I was finding Spotify to be “more of the same.” Tidal has improved their playlists greatly in the recent year. Qobuz has well curated playlists for discovery as well.

Since I am a Roon user, I create playlists in Spotify and Apple with songs I like from those services. I leverage TuneMyMusic.com to sync everything to a combined playlist in Tidal which then replicates into Roon.

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
I don't stream so I discover "new" music (meaning either lastest releases from artists I am familiar with, or that of previously established or new artists that I am unfamiliar with ) via things such what I list below . Just goggle - new (insert genre e.g. jazz, classical) releases. After I find some that might interest me I'll use youtube to then check out some tracks to see if I want to go ahead and order . I don't know if you use any of these type resources, but if not you might consider giving them a try.

Examples:

WBF's What's Spinning Tonight thread (there are also multiple other threads here in the music section that are similar "learning" vehicles.

I listen to Sirius/XM in the car ; each channel has a website that provides a listing of music played throughout the day - artist and specific track, as well as , time of day the track was played.

Thanks for these recommendations. Like you, I, too, have not taken to streaming. Based in Bangkok, TH, it is sometimes hard for me to keep up with new relases. Your list helps. I go to AllMusic which has a daily listing of new releases. I followed up on all your links. Think I'll try making a purchase from Dusty grooves store in Chicago. Are they reliable?

Reactions: facten

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Think I'll try making a purchase from Dusty grooves store in Chicago. Are they reliable?

I haven't purchased directly from them so I can't say, I just use the website as one means of seeing what's new.

JRW1971

Dec 21, 2021
Radio Paradise is available on Roon. Gives me almost all my new music. Love it.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I recently read a biography of Bill Frisell and as the music that he first listened to was mentioned, I listened along with Qobuz and got a good sense of his early musical influences. Same for this albums, many of which I already had in my library. I discovered many others that I had missed and now they made more sense as the progression of his development became clearer. I did the same with a biography of Sonny Rollins.

My audiophile penpal and I share recommendations (he is in Europe and I'm in the US). His ears are bigger than mine, so he introduces me to stuff I wouldn't listen to otherwise. And as an amateur musician he also has a great deal of knowledge about the production methods, etc. He has followed a number of musicians over the years and is a wealth of knowledge about these musicians. He also explores YouTube and has suggested a number of interviews with musicians that have deepened my appreciation for their music.

When listening to an internet station such as The Jazz Groove, the songs are shown. If they are available in Qobuz, you can follow the link to the album. I save songs to a playlist to explore the full albums later.

If you have Qobuz available within Roon, Roon provides a personalized list of suggestions from Qobuz under the Browse Home section. As you scroll to the right you eventually see all the new releases. They are arranged by genre. Sometimes, I just open them one by one and listen. A limitless supply of music.

Also, as mentioned by others, Roon Radio uses your listening preferences to suggest new music. I create a playlist for these songs and then check out the entire album later.

For Jazz, Downbeat has reviews of music. And since these kinds of magazines are also meant to offer a platform for artists to discuss their music, it is easy to get interested in them as an artist and then listen to their music via Roon/Qobuz.

All in all, the limiting factor is time.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I recently read a biography of Bill Frisell and as the music that he first listened to was mentioned, I listened along with Qobuz and got a good sense of his early musical influences. Same for this albums, many of which I already had in my library. I discovered many others that I had missed and now they made more sense as the progression of his development became clearer. I did the same with a biography of Sonny Rollins.

My audiophile penpal and I share recommendations (he is in Europe and I'm in the US). His ears are bigger than mine, so he introduces me to stuff I wouldn't listen to otherwise. And as an amateur musician he also has a great deal of knowledge about the production methods, etc. He has followed a number of musicians over the years and is a wealth of knowledge about these musicians. He also explores YouTube and has suggested a number of interviews with musicians that have deepened my appreciation for their music.

When listening to an internet station such as The Jazz Groove, the songs are shown. If they are available in Qobuz, you can follow the link to the album. I save songs to a playlist to explore the full albums later.

If you have Qobuz available within Roon, Roon provides a personalized list of suggestions from Qobuz under the Browse Home section. As you scroll to the right you eventually see all the new releases. They are arranged by genre. Sometimes, I just open them one by one and listen. A limitless supply of music.

Also, as mentioned by others, Roon Radio uses your listening preferences to suggest new music. I create a playlist for these songs and then check out the entire album later.

For Jazz, Downbeat has reviews of music. And since these kinds of magazines are also meant to offer a platform for artists to discuss their music, it is easy to get interested in them as an artist and then listen to their music via Roon/Qobuz.

All in all, the limiting factor is time.
Great way to research… same way for me with jazz reviews and if I’m reading a classical review in The Strad or Violinist, Gramophone, Classics Today or in music forums or a traditional main stream media with good music reviewer traditions I’ll either have the album cued up on Qobuz and playing underneath while I read and if it’s sounding good and aligning to the spirit and context of the review when I’m finished reading I’ll go back and rewind and play from the start in a concentrated listen all the way through the work.

If I really connect with it I’ll also save a copy to my iPhone and listen some time later perhaps a week or so when walking at the beach or in the car to get to know it better.

If it’s a survey review with a couple of highlighted versions of a classical work I’ll save the shortlisted performances to my iPhone and listen to them in comparison mode at times that way as well. I’ve found it’s a good way to get to the performances that resonate the most as being more great for me.

I’m slowly working through the major classical repertoire (most especially in 19th and 20th century works) and I’ve started at my very favourite composers and their benchmark works and building a better understanding of what are the works and performances I most want to return to. It’s quite an investment in time but after 5 decades of listening to much classical and jazz as well as more mainstream music in rnb, rock, electronic, indie, dance etc in an unstructured way I am putting a more structured approach and more energy now with classical and jazz. I do feel after a lifetime I’m starting to be getting somewhere with building my core understanding of what I have grown to most value in different music and with performances and performers. It is a labour with much love driving it… and there is no pain, just enthusiasm and wonder.

Last edited:

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Great way to research… same way for me with jazz reviews and if I’m reading a classical review in The Strad or Violinist, Gramophone, Classics Today or in music forums or a traditional main stream media with good music reviewer traditions I’ll either have the album cued up on Qobuz and playing underneath while I read and if it’s sounding good and aligning to the spirit and context of the review when I’m finished reading I’ll go back and rewind and play from the start in a concentrated listen all the way through the work.

If I really connect with it I’ll also save a copy to my iPhone and listen some time later perhaps a week or so when walking at the beach or in the car to get to know it better.

If it’s a survey review with a couple of highlighted versions of a classical work I’ll save the shortlisted performances to my iPhone and listen to them in comparison mode at times that way as well. I’ve found it’s a good way to get to the performances that resonate the most as being more great for me.

I’m slowly working through the major classical repertoire (most especially in 19th and 20th century works) and I’ve started at my very favourite composers and their benchmark works and building a better understanding of what are the works and performances I most want to return to. It’s quite an investment in time but after 5 decades of listening to much classical and jazz as well as more mainstream music in rnb, rock, electronic, indie, dance etc in an unstructured way I am putting a more structured approach and more energy now with classical and jazz. I do feel after a lifetime I’m starting to be getting somewhere with building my core understanding of what I have grown to most value in different music and with performances and performers. It is a labour with much love driving it… and there is no pain, just enthusiasm and wonder.
That process of deepening our understanding of the music brings the most pleasure for me as well, although I'm not very structured in doing so (too lazy?). I also find that listening multiple times within a short period of time is more likely now than in the past. For some albums I enjoy, there is always a new level of understanding no matter how many times I've listened.

It is interesting that you also listen from the iPhone. I discovered that listening from different sources provides me with different perspectives that are then folded into the listening perspective when using the main setup. The ear/brain is a miraculous gift.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
That process of deepening our understanding of the music brings the most pleasure for me as well, although I'm not very structured in doing so (too lazy?). I also find that listening multiple times within a short period of time is more likely now than in the past. For some albums I enjoy, there is always a new level of understanding no matter how many times I've listened.

It is interesting that you also listen from the iPhone. I discovered that listening from different sources provides me with different perspectives that are then folded into the listening perspective when using the main setup. The ear/brain is a miraculous gift.
We do have such amazing access to the treasure house of music these days and that extraordinary giant storehouse is growing all the time. It’s actually impossible to keep up with it all. We’re coming up to nearly a century of music captured.

I guess if you’re motivated to primarily just listen to the best audiophile type recordings that makes it less of an issue because it culls quite a good percentage of what to go through. If you’re chasing after the best music performances that needs a crazy amount of access and time to work through. Lucky it’s a pleasure and not enforced labour.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Visit your local record shop

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Friend’s recommendations
Roon searches off track I already know
David Solomon’s Qobuz playlists
Visiting record stores (we have like two dozen in Atlanta and the suburbs)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing