What's Spinning Tonight?

Last night this: th.jpeg

After this listening session, I am now having to have some work done on my Rowland as the darn hook-up protocol with the Sub has finally resulted in the amp acting like a massive space heater!:( So, the tube amp is my mainstay for awhile.
The MFSL Simon and Garfunkel is very interesting, if like me, you like this band. On this recording, Paul's guitar is slightly more realistic than on the garden variety pressings that I also own. However, the recording isn't that great to
begin with, so once again, great music...so/so recording. Nonetheless, worth seeking out IF you are a big S&G fan and don't have to pay too much for the LP.
One question I am now asking of all of the re-issue labels...and one that has been on my mind for some time...why pick a marginal sounding recording ( one that the master clearly isn't anything that special) and bother with a re-master and
re-issue when the SQ cannot really be increased and therefore the a'phile community is essentially getting short changed. I know that the music is worth hearing on a lot of these albums...like my example above, BUT a simple inexpensive re-press of the original would surely suffice for that. OTOH, I guess if you goal is to pull more change out of the a'philes pocket with some fancy packaging, well then I guess it all makes sense. :confused:

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    15.2 KB · Views: 50
I have the original 1970 album release...from Columbia records.

Bob, that's the album that is most common. Like I said, it is a little less resolving than the MFSL reissue. However, I just don't think that S&G were that well recorded in the first place ( a great pity, IMHO). So the old question is...was is it worth gilding this lily?
On some of my Music Matters Blue Note reissues, one can absolutely say the reissue is phenomenal, why...because the original recording was phenomenal. Thanks to Rudy and his recording technique....problem is, the guy that recorded S&G in the day, wasn't in Rudy's league.

Davey...your last line says it all.

Yes, John.It would seem that there a growing number of hucksters in the a'phile industry. People who have no problem bringing a product to market that they know is either a) inferior to what already exists, b) pure snake oil or c) grossly over-priced for what it really is. All IMHO of course.:)

being a vinyl lover,i'm always putting something on the turntables, i'm chillin with some [Brubeck-time in]and later some miles.

More 2010 post resurrections :). What strings and vocals....

This poppy is available from HDTracks and it is in my purchase queue: http://www.hdtracks.com/folk-singer-144375

Amir, if you can get your hands on one of the MFSL 200 gram Anadisc's of this record, I think you will find it to be one of the most amazing sounding LP's in your collection. ( If you have an analog collection, sorry I cannot remember).
Nonetheless, for anyone into vinyl, I highly recommend this LP....I own several copies and treasure them all.

John, have you had a chance to compare the MFSL Anadisc to the Classic Records 200g Quiex? If so, thoughts. IMO, if it is as great as the MFSL it must be something truly special.

John, have you had a chance to compare the MFSL Anadisc to the Classic Records 200g Quiex? If so, thoughts. IMO, if it is as great as the MFSL it must be something truly special.

Davey, I have the 45rpm Analogue Productions Quality Records 2011 version and can say it is phenomenal.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing