What's Spinning Tonight?

0011ac18_medium.jpeg

Tim

This is one of my all-time faves. Monk is the man!

Agreed .. This Monk album shall be added to my Library...

I am listening to two beautiful pieces .. Two Requiems although I am not on any particularly morbid mood.. I find the music beautiful and full of well .. Life. From Telarc:
Faure and Durufle requiems

61ISre4Yx7L._SS400_.jpg

HDCD encoded CDs (3-disc set)

51peWUz2VYL._SS500_.jpg

* It's in the morning here though. :) ...But for others on the globe, it's night time.

Not too long ago...

Keith_Jarrett_Koln_Concert_Cover.jpg

But right now: Classical Opera by Rossini from the r.a.d.i.o. (88.9 Analog FM Stereophonic).

Symphony No. 10 by Gustav Mahler (not fully elaborated)

Exquisite! :) ...From the analog r.a.d.i.o. (88.9 French FM Stereophonic).

Here's a glimpse:

Bare Bones - Wishbone Ash DVDA
If I could Only Remember my Name - David Crosby & Friends DVDA

I am listening for my first time to a special SHM pressing from Japan of this on CD; it was just delivered this morning:

51OzfOzUd7L._SS500_.jpg

Rich

Rich, which versions of this album do you have on CD with which you can attempt to make any comparisons?

Hi Ron,

The SHM CD is the 3 track WPCR-13246 released by WEA Atltantic Japan and it says on the back that it was Digitally Remastered By Joe Gastwirt at Ocean View Digital. According to Amazon it was released in 2008. It appears to be the exact same re-issue/re-mastered in 1994 released as 3 track 82666-2 Atlantic release which was Digitally Remastered By Joe Gastwirt at Ocean View Digital; I have this disc for comparison. It is not the Rhino reissue/remaster with any of the additional tracks or any of the Japanese SHM minidiscs with the HDCD.

I have listened now twice to the disc. My initial impressions follow those that I read on-line and confirms that the performance of these SHM CDs are going to be recording/mastering specific. I agree that I am hearing more detail in the recording with better separation from what I remember for the 1994 digital remastering and release. Instruments appear to better rendered and placed in space for both imaging and soundstaging. Additionally, bass is stronger and tighter and overall the sound is quite dynamic with a more natural presentation and more life like sound to the instruments and Jon's voice. I am not sure but I may be hearing a wider and possibly deeper soundstage as well, but I will need to listen more and make some direct comparisons. This seems to be due to the fact that the re-mastering was done quite well (I guess back in 1994) from the original tapes, and it is performing quite well with the Polycarbonate material of the discs.

Rich

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing