What to do in and around Denver, CO?

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Hi all,

Thinking ahead to October, we're planning to take a few days' holiday before going to RMAF. With an emphasis on scenic sight-seeing, what are peoples' suggestions? Ideally doable in a day from Denver Tech Centre...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The cog railway to the top of Pike's Peak is worthwhile.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi all,

Thinking ahead to October, we're planning to take a few days' holiday before going to RMAF. With an emphasis on scenic sight-seeing, what are peoples' suggestions? Ideally doable in a day from Denver Tech Centre...

The tour of Rocky Mountain National Park-not to be missed and is a day trip by bus.

Coors factory and a few other sites such as Red Rock, etc. Very nice day trip and the Coors beer at the factory is surprisingly better than the swill they ship.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The tour of Rocky Mountain National Park-not to be missed and is a day trip by bus.

Coors factory and a few other sites such as Red Rock, etc. Very nice day trip and the Coors beer at the factory is surprisingly better than the swill they ship.

Remember the days when Coors refused to ship outside of the western U.S. because their beer wasn’t pasteurized and they said it had to be shipped cold and stored cold in order to preserve the freshness and taste? Coors didn’t want to bother with the cost of refrigerated shipping which is why they limited the areas it could be sold. Remember after that when Coors made the decision they would ship their beer warm and stores could stock it warm and ran commercials to tell people it was OK? I do.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Remember the days when Coors refused to ship outside of the western U.S. because their beer wasn’t pasteurized and they said it had to be shipped cold and stored cold in order to preserve the freshness and taste? Coors didn’t want to bother with the cost of refrigerated shipping which is why they limited the areas it could be sold. Remember after that when Coors made the decision they would ship their beer warm and stores could stock it warm and ran commercials to tell people it was OK? I do.

Yes, still tasted like crap.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
  • Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park is a must-see.
  • Pikes Peak, natch, an hour or two south of Denver; a long day but worthwhile.
  • There are some gorgeous drives through the mountains (if not on fire) from I70 west then north or south. You should drive through the Eisenhower Tunnel just to say you did it.
  • If you're into trains, check out the Georgetown Loop, and there is a good train museum in Golden.
I don't know much about city stuff in Denver...

If you are coming from sea-level'ish, drink lots, and watch out for altitude sickness, especially on the high trips.

Last edited:

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone; much appreciated!

Good point about the altitude stuff, Don. A couple of years ago we were at the Grand Canyon and both suffered with altitude sickness! Much accustomed to the drink lots mantra: where I live is fairly desert-like (although the past month's rain would suggest otherwise!).

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Yeah, it is right down the street from my workplace, duh! It is closed now (fires) but should be open in October. We also have Cave of the Winds, Manitou Cliff Dwellings, etc. if you want to spend a day or two down around Colorado Springs.

A long day loop would be to leave early and get (drive) up Pikes Peak, then loop through GoG and grab a meal down in COS before heading back to Denver. That one day, and another day going through Estes Park and driving Trail Ridge and Fall Canyon roads in Rocky Mountain National Park, would hit some of the prettiest and most varied country in the state.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yeah, it is right down the street from my workplace, duh! It is closed now (fires) but should be open in October. We also have Cave of the Winds, Manitou Cliff Dwellings, etc. if you want to spend a day or two down around Colorado Springs.

A long day loop would be to leave early and get (drive) up Pikes Peak, then loop through GoG and grab a meal down in COS before heading back to Denver. That one day, and another day going through Estes Park and driving Trail Ridge and Fall Canyon roads in Rocky Mountain National Park, would hit some of the prettiest and most varied country in the state.

If you don't want to drive, there are some excellent tour buses that will take you to these places! I must admit, driving up some of the those one lane roads with no guardrails to 12,000 or so feet really unnerved me. As the say out there, flatlanders don't drive well there ;)

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
If you don't want to drive, there are some excellent tour buses that will take you to these places! I must admit, driving up some of the those one lane roads with no guardrails to 12,000 or so feet really unnerved me. As the say out there, flatlanders don't drive well there ;)

Not to worry, I like driving. Also, I live in BC. We have mountains here too! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing