What to do about white-collar disease called Fatigue!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What is the Russian Training Philosophy?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What is the Russian Training Philosophy?

Ok in a nutshell and Lee summed it up very succintly, Eastern Europeans promoted the idea that athletic prowess as well as our overall health was dependent upon resistance as opposed to cardiovascular training.

As Lee put so well, Cooper said all we need is to do is run. Running unfortunately not only tears the body down but creates many myofascial imbalances that in the end leads to a host of other issues - like knee or back problems. Runners also often don't eat enough calories to compensate for the calories expended and put their bodies in a catabolic state-that leads to the loss of muscle mass and strength over a season. In addition, have a training program is often foreign to a runner; as a result, all they do is train hard all the time and consequently overtrain (that can in its worst form actually end an athletes career).

A great many of the runners that I work with have lost much of their hip mobility since they never addressed trunk stabilization and as a result, the brain used (tightened up) the hip flexors to stabilize the trunk.

Or as we've become wise to (and referred to Mike Boyle, Charlie Weingroff and Gray Cook as the joint-by-joint approach to training) our bodies function in an alternating linkage of mobile and stabile joints. When stable joints become mobile or mobile joints become stable, then issues crop up. We often speaker about referred/regional pain-where it's the weak point in the chain breaks down or is the victim but the issue lies at joint above or below. For example, in many cases of knee pain (and remember the two longest bones in the body intersect at the joint and wreak havoc therefore!), the issue is with the foot, ankle or hip mobility/stability (stability is different than flexibility in that we're referring to the ability to resist pertubations). The shoulder also because of its makeup, is often a victim of issues in the shoulder girdle complex (in th wrong place) or loss of thoracic spine mobility and extension--that in the end makes the shoulder do more than it is supposed to do.

The Russians talked not only resistance training but its health benefits. Some of those include mantaining our bodies metabolism (remember as we age we're subject to sarcopenia, osteopenia and osteoporosis) that helps in heart health and fighting obesity. And for women, weight training is essential to maintaining bone mineral density. In fact if combined with drugs that fight osteoporosis, exercise can help maintain BMD for up to 2 years after actually coming off of the medications. Then as I think Lee has talked about, proper weight training can help in part prevent falls in senior citizens (assuming the bone hasn't broken first eg. before the fall).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So in effect the improvements in cardiovascular follow improvements in resistance as opposed to being the primary objective?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So in effect the improvements in cardiovascular follow improvements in resistance as opposed to being the primary objective?

It's hard to make a blanket statement. A lot depends upon the end goals of the client. One has to always be aware of a slew of items including posture, retention of basic movement patterns, biomechanics, physiology and bioenergetics (which energy system is involved such as phosphocreatine, fast and slow glycolysis and aerobic) when putting together a program for an athlete/client. For instance does it make sense to put a lineman throuh a 3 mile run when the bioenergetic demands are 7 secs of play followed by 45 secs of rest? No. It proves more useful to have them emulate that sort of energy demands upon that "energy" system needed to produce ATP for the body to function. Or does it make sense for a 100 meter runner to run long distances? No since the race lasts all of 9-10 secs and all their energy demands are met by the phosphocreatine system.

But if I'm going to work with a distance runner, it's obvious that their VO2 max and even more importantly, what pct. of their V02 max can they maintain over a race is very important. But I'm still going to work on strength, perhaps in what we call an inverse periodization where total volume of work increases towards a race and intensity of effort decreases as opposed to an ordinary plan of intensity going up and volume going down. And I'm esp. going to address issues in movement patterns as dictated by mobility and stability to minimize injuries and also improve efficiency. (and we can also talk about the need to do explosive movements when it comes to elite LD runners since their feet, are on the ground for all of 0.09 secs).

When it comes to civilians, it's best to develop a well rounded aerobic fitness eg so all the energy systems can utilize all the different macronutrients efficiently to esp help in maintaining or losing weight for example.

So CV is important but it isn't the only thing that one's needs as Cooper proposed to be in shape.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think if you were my trainer my head would explode ;) I'd probably just not ask questions and do whatever you told me too :)

I'm looking for golf specific training. I have to get back the 30 yards I lost over the last few years of inactivity. Can you give me a few tips on what to look for in the proposed programs Myles? It would really help me figure out who the trainers are that are the real deal and others that are just posers.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I think if you were my trainer my head would explode ;) I'd probably just not ask questions and do whatever you told me too :)

I'm looking for golf specific training. I have to get back the 30 yards I lost over the last few years of inactivity. Can you give me a few tips on what to look for in the proposed programs Myles? It would really help me figure out who the trainers are that are the real deal and others that are just posers.

The great trainers know all the complicated stuff and use it to format training programs that are simple on the surface.

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

My first suggestion is to see if you can find someone who has gone through the Titlest Performance Institute training program for golf. It is an excellent program put together by Greg Rose, who holds a PHD in biomechanics and used by the PGA. (http://www.mytpi.com/)

That said, there's no substitute for finding someone who can videotape your swing, break down the biomechanics, and come back with suggestions.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The great trainers know all the complicated stuff and use it to format training programs that are simple on the surface.

Lee

:) Or instead of doing what the client wants, what they really need to do to improve performance!

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
So, what is the most efficient way (least amount of time and equipment) to stay in good aerobic condition? Is there a quick read somewhere?

PS Hope this is helping amir. At least he knows we care.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
PS Hope this is helping amir. At least he knows we care.
Well, I never thought participating in a forum would make me live longer or better but all the great posts in this subforum might just do that!

My fatigue is started to subside a bit. I boosted the level of activity and continued vitamin D and probiotics. Stopped B12 because the blood test said it wasn't it. Of chance, anyone know if there is harm in too much B12? Should I have continued on it?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
you have 2 chances of having a B12 deficiency....slim and none

While you're right, there's always the question if there's a deficiency in intrinsic factor.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing