What to do about white-collar disease called Fatigue!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi guys. I need some free medical advice. I mean I want to discuss health matters with my fellow forum members :D.

Seriously, I do need you all's help. A week ago, I got up feeling pretty fatigued. The symptoms were my legs feeling heavy which I would notice even after climbing a step or two. Put up with it for a couple of days and didn't improve. So I went to my Doctor a week ago. He ordered blood test to figure out what is going on.

Next day, in the process of giving blood, I passed out. This kind of happens to me but not to this severity. Couldn't fully recover so went to ER. They ran a bunch of tests including EKG and found nothing. They tested for Mono, Thyroids, etc.

Just got a call from my regular doctor that they got the results of their testing back. Nothing there either. Vitamin D is normal. B12 is normal. No Anemia.

He suggested a follow up but "after the holidays." I suspect he is going on vacation and this is code for, "don't bother me with little stuff."

Meanwhile, I have been stuck home for a week, having a hard time getting things done. Energy level is at 30%. I have little to no other symptoms though. Just general feeling of weakness and fatigue.

Reading online, looks like other than the things my doctors have checked, the only thing left is Fatigue Syndrome. Not a happy thought as it says it could last a year or two.

I asked the ER doctor what I should do to feel better and he said he had no idea! In his words, "if you are looking for me to charge up your batteries if you were a car, I have nothing to offer." So here I am.

So anything you all would suggest as far as supplements and such? In advance of the blood tests coming back I tried B12 and D and it made no difference. I need something to try even if a placebo to make me better :D.

I just saw my foot doctor btw and he said I should take 2000 IUD of vitamin D for bones regardless. So I am going to keep doing that.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Amir,

You might try increasing your water intake. Dehydration is an insidious process that can rob you of energy. While it's just an estimate, count caffeinated beverages as 1/2 of their volume toward your daily total (they cause you to excrete a bit more water, so this will help balance your fluid levels). If you notice any improvement with a 50% increase in your water intake, you'll be feeling better in a few days.

My guess for today,

Lee

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
There is this thing I heard about once, think it's call a.....Vacation.

Seriously, get out of the routine and go out and have some fun.

Just don't let your wife catch you.:D

Stress can weigh you down, like walking underwater with one of those brass diving bell suits on.

Just before I closed my office of nine years to save on overhead (working out of my home now), I almost did not make the 25 minute walk home. About a block from my house I felt that if I stopped walking I would die there in the street. I forced myself home and started to feel better after a while, but it was like having a heart attack, an elephant sitting on my chest and people holding my arms and legs down.

I let the office go, paid off my credit cards by cashing in on long term investments and assumed a simple life. Things are better now, I still try to get in a hour walk everyday, it seems to help a lot.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
A good time to visit a local health food store. They helped me with vitamins.energy drink and vegetable juice. Dehydration is real. May be for a short period all your liquids should come from plain water. no alcohol, caffeine or sugary drinks. They can act as diuretics. Did they check for diabetes? Keep pushing yourself to stay active.
A vitamin regimen takes time to kick in. Athletes use B12 injection.

Try this linkhttp://www.endfatigue.com/google/index-cfs.htm?gclid=CMPYs4S8yKICFVbO3AodFjb2Kg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for all the advice guys. I don't drink alcohol or anything with caffeine. So I know it is not those factors. I do drink fair bit but I am going to up it more and see what happens.

Steve, I will get a copy of the blood test. I know they ran a CBC and pretty sure they checked for mono. He tested my glands and spleen. Don't know about Epstein-Barr.

George, I hear you. More than one person is telling me it is stress and I should cut back and/or see a psychiatrist. I keep telling them my therapy and relaxation is this forum and they don't believe me :D I do work from home but did have a grueling travel schedule until this happened. So maybe stress is still the cause.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Try this linkhttp://www.endfatigue.com/google/index-cfs.htm?gclid=CMPYs4S8yKICFVbO3AodFjb2Kg
Thanks for the link. I was hoping this was not CFS but it sure starting to smell that way. I am going to have to read up more.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks for the link. I was hoping this was not CFS but it sure starting to smell that way. I am going to have to read up more.

I assume your doc checked your blood pressure. Though it's known as a silent killer, high blood pressure can have some outward symptoms such as fatigue.

And sometimes it's just a virus in your system and your body is fighting it off.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I assume your doc checked your blood pressure. Though it's known as a silent killer, high blood pressure can have some outward symptoms such as fatigue.
He did. So did the ER doctor. The latter hooked me up to those annoying machines which pump you up every 10 minutes, right when you are about to fall sleep!!!

And sometimes it's just a virus in your system and your body is fighting it off.
Wouldn't I have other symptoms then? I feel normal otherwise. I don't run out of breath or anything. I just feel like my legs are dragging and feel tired even when I first wake up.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Getting away from your TV, computer, cell phone and other electronic things for five days or more you will start to feel like an healthy Amish person.

How do you look in a beard?:eek:
Funny you say that as someone else told me that is what his doctor suggested and he picked an island with no phone access and came back a new person. What I am trying to figure out is how I come back as me!!! :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Amir,

This often happens to me especially when taking east to west trans-pacific flights. It is a combination of jet-lag and dehydration from the plane rides. I've been able to minimize this by doing three things. Firstly, on the plane I ask a flight attendant to just leave me one of those 1.5L water bottles so I won't have to bug them every thirty minutes. In a medium long flight (10hrs or so) I typically finish a liter. From Manila to SF, LA or Vancouver the bottle is finished. Next I try to take flights that will allow me to land in the evening. It costs just one night stay more but it guarantees full energy and focus for the working or playing day ahead. Lastly, a good quick 30 minute run the following morning does wonders for clearing the remaining cobwebs. Better yet, if you are a golf nut like I am, hitting a hundred balls gets the heart rate up with the bonus of fine tuning coordination.

Same thing applies at home where during political campaigns I got awfully strange sleep regimens. Thank God I'm now retired from politics :) Lots of water, a few good nights sleep and some light non-heart pounding exercise. It's tough to fight through the tiredness but energy often returns to me after a bucket of balls or so and the fog is usually gone the next day. If I can't get to a range, dynamic balance exercises and a bit of isometrics also does wonders for me.

Oh and yes! Lack of activity DEFINITELY leads to such fatigue!

Jack

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
There is this thing I heard about once, think it's call a.....Vacation.

Seriously, get out of the routine and go out and have some fun.

Just don't let your wife catch you.:D

Stress can weigh you down, like walking underwater with one of those brass diving bell suits on.

Just before I closed my office of nine years to save on overhead (working out of my home now), I almost did not make the 25 minute walk home. About a block from my house I felt that if I stopped walking I would die there in the street. I forced myself home and started to feel better after a while, but it was like having a heart attack, an elephant sitting on my chest and people holding my arms and legs down.

I let the office go, paid off my credit cards by cashing in on long term investments and assumed a simple life. Things are better now, I still try to get in a hour walk everyday, it seems to help a lot.

This is the same advice I would have given. Since you are retired and likely set financially you should engage in some activities that you love, especially those that make you happy.

When my career in advertising photography was at it's peak I was so stressed I swear I was resting in bed only on my heels and elbows. I never shut down, not even in deep sleep. This would kill me today but fortunately this was many years ago when I was younger.

One of the things that really helped me was a trip to the Yucatan area of Mexico. My Wife, son and I went for several weeks and since it was an "all inclusive" vacation there was no need for car, cash or anything except shorts and sandals. For the first few days I read in the bar and soon after that the sound of the ocean drew me out and began to forget about my problems. When we finally returned home I felt like I had been gone for months. Something I really needed.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Not lately. Foot problem got me slowed down and now this. Good news is that the foot doctor thinks I will be better soon.

Would lack of activity lead to such fatigue?

Amir, It does for me. Different people are, well different I guess, so this might not apply to you of course. In my case I need a lot of aerobic exercise to feel good.

When I was early in my career I was very active physically, mainly mountaineering in the Sierra Nevada. Ran 15 miles for 5 days and the other 2 in the mountains almost every week.

Then I got more responsibility and did a lot of traveling and couldn't keep up that level of conditioning so my weight blossomed and eventually I was just another out-of shape American. And generally I just didn't feel good and my energy and enthusiasm level dropped.

About five years ago, just before I retired, I returned to bicycle riding...Knees couldn't take the pounding from running anymore, clubs are boring and a broken shoulder restricts my ability to carry a heavy pack or swim. Growing old ain't for sissies. :cool: After a few years of progress I can now hop on one of my six bikes and ride it 100 or more miles at a pop. I think it takes this level of fitness for me to get enough endorphins flowing to really make a difference to my attitude towards life. What ever it is, my energy and enthusiasm have returned.

Based on the book "Aerobics" by Kenneth H. Cooper, bicycling is the third most (time) efficient form of aerobic exercise following running and swimming. That's why I ran when I was younger. Running is 4-5 times more time efficient than bicycling plus the equipment is much more transportable. Swimming is about twice as efficient but you need a facility. Given your foot problem perhaps you might give swimming a shot.

I notice some people go through life with seemingly no requirement for exercise at all. This is just not the case for me. Maybe you need exercise, too?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Amir, It does for me. Different people are, well different I guess, so this might not apply to you of course. In my case I need a lot of aerobic exercise to feel good.

When I was early in my career I was very active physically, mainly mountaineering in the Sierra Nevada. Ran 15 miles for 5 days and the other 2 in the mountains almost every week.

Then I got more responsibility and did a lot of traveling and couldn't keep up that level of conditioning so my weight blossomed and eventually I was just another out-of shape American. And generally I just didn't feel good and my energy and enthusiasm level dropped.

About five years ago, just before I retired, I returned to bicycle riding...Knees couldn't take the pounding from running anymore, clubs are boring and a broken shoulder restricts my ability to carry a heavy pack or swim. Growing old ain't for sissies. :cool: After a few years of progress I can now hop on one of my six bikes and ride it 100 or more miles at a pop. I think it takes this level of fitness for me to get enough endorphins flowing to really make a difference to my attitude towards life. What ever it is, my energy and enthusiasm have returned.

Based on the book "Aerobics" by Kenneth H. Cooper, bicycling is the third most (time) efficient form of aerobic exercise following running and swimming. That's why I ran when I was younger. Running is 4-5 times more time efficient than bicycling plus the equipment is much more transportable. Swimming is about twice as efficient but you need a facility. Given your foot problem perhaps you might give swimming a shot.

I notice some people go through life with seemingly no requirement for exercise at all. This is just not the case for me. Maybe you need exercise, too?

Sorry but to anyone in the industry, Kenneth Cooper is total unmitigated, joke! He has been discredited and basically set US training back 25 years in the process. People over here finally caught onto the Russian training philosophy that dominates training nowadays.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Sorry but to anyone in the industry, Kenneth Cooper is total unmitigated, joke! He has been discredited and basically set US training back 25 years in the process. People over here finally caught onto the Russian training philosophy that dominates training nowadays.

Care to elaborate, lest your post become a caricature of itself? :D

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Care to elaborate, lest your post become a caricature of itself? :D

I'll jump in.

The philosophy of long distance jogging as the best exercise is not founded in science. The number of folks suffering repetitive-motion injuries and excessive wear on their joints is testimony to the inappropriateness of long, slow distance (LSD) as a primary training modality. LSD became popular due to its effects on bodyweight, with many folks fitting in clothing that used to be too tight. However, they were often unaware that much of the weight loss was muscle tissue and bone. A quick look at marathon runners vs. elite sprinters will illustrate the effects of long distance on the human body. The answer to better body composition is to eat less, and not disrupt one's insulin balance as much. Your own post regarding your knees should be sufficient evidence.

The training effect, which comprises dilation of the coronary arteries, increased functional efficiency of the heart and lungs, and muscular adaptation to higher workloads can be effectively attained by higher-intensity, shorter duration work. This method does not provide the same degree of deleterious effects as does LSD. Interval training promotes higher levels of power (work/time). Supporting larger loads, whether through heavier weightlifting or through plyometric movements, develops muscle mass and strength. Lean mass is one component to health in older age ranges.

I'll stop before I begin to rant. I hope this addresses the fundamental differences between LSD and shorter-duration exercise.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing