What makes sense??

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Do you guys want a mini monitor on stands that makes an amazing stab at sounding like a full range floor stander?
Evolution Acoustics Micro? No.
Magico Mini? No.
Kiii? No.
KEF LS 50? No.

NO, the answer is the absolutely sensational Elac B6, £300/$500. Me and two friends drifted into the Elac room at the Windsor show y'day, having got so fed up w/how poor the statement setups using Kef Muons, Magico S7s, Wilsons were sounding, expecting nothing.
30 mins later we were still sitting there, trying to lift our jaws off the floor, muttering "this cannot be possible!"
Beat you to it already: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-Thread-Part-1&p=342688&viewfull=1#post342688

:)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
We could not believe what we were hearing. No exaggeration. They bloody deserve to take over the world.
We went away and sort of did a full circle, and I didn't realise I was just outside the Elac room again. I was chatting obliviously, and suddenly "Fanfare/Common man" booms out, and I sit up and say Ididn't know Wilson etc were demoing here. No, my friend said, it's the Elacs.
Cue more jaw/slack.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I see that there are several very good threads on this forum and others regarding questions of either a) component upgrades b) room upgrades or c) software upgrades ( PCM to DSD, vinyl to tape etc).
All of the questions tend to have numerous answers, and depending on the poster, different perspectives. What is interesting is that 'budget' is not always a factor, although this seems to be important for a few people:D. I believe that it would be prudent for all to remember that the cost of a lot of the gear in discussion is really only 'pocket change' for many on this forum, and yet the same gear is also going to be a years income for others!
Is the poster who asks questions about a $50K DAC ( and owns same) really asking about the cost of that DAC, or more likely wanting confirmation of their decision to purchase said DAC in the first place.
Perhaps, that same poster may has numerous other DAC"s that are even more costly and simply wants to "explain" that fact. In my area, we have several a'philes who have varying budgets for gear....one gent who has already spend well over $1.5M on gear and has, for example, his Wilson Alex 2's sitting in a corner collecting dust ( since I believe he no longer favors them) to others who are saving up for their first Rega table.
This brings up my main point of this thread: what are the prerogatives of your being an a'phile. What makes sense to you, for instance...does it make sense to you to buy the $50K speaker before you have a great room to put it in, does it make sense to buy the $25K tape machine before you have great speakers or the room to put in? Does it make sense to spend $100 on an LP, when the same money will buy you ten(10) CD's. And so on.

BTW, I'm NOT posting this thread to try and have anyone state either how well off they are or how poor, simply to get an idea as to our priorities in gear and sound reproduction only. Another question, would the gear that is being lauded at Andre Marc's miser forum ever have any interest to you at its low price....even if it performs way above its pay grade, or is it simply not a consideration due to its perceived lack of prestige and probable inability to compete with the very best?

Lots of ??'s here...your thoughts.:cool:

..nothing?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Thanx Rodney. These Elacs are game changers IMHO, they will handily outperform a slew of spkrs costing 10x as much, maybe even many twds 100x. Not joking. Not maybe in individual parameters, but as an holistic experience. I've never been at a demo like it.
Once Elac release their room/spkr dsp tech that adjusts for readings in the room AND at the spkr, they may have a true ground breaking approach to high end sound at an entry level price of not much more than $1k. Just add a DAC and tt for another $1k, and maybe $200 on cables, and you'll have a system for less than $2.5k that will stomp over the competition.
If I was starting out in hifi now, I would go no further than the Elacs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing