What LIVE album do you feel brings you closest to LIVE?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Stereo (not Multichannel; just yet)

* Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley (1996)
* Patricia Barber - Companion (Live at The Green Mill, uptown Chicago; 1999)
* Rickie Lee Jones - Live and Acoustic (1995)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have about 50 Blu-ray concerts and I've not ever got the feeling of being there in the audience, no matter how well they are recorded. They only one IMO that comes close is Legends of Jazz with Ramsey Lewis: Showcase.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Kal is more of a classical music guy I believe.

Absolutely, and he knows a thing or two about live music recreation. Kal is a regular classical music concert goer, and a multichannel entrepreneur/explorer. It's Live or bust! :D

I have some MCH rock concerts (mainly blu ray), but realistically my system cannot create the illusion of a full blown stadium rock experience. Small ensemble jazz and acoustic rock different story.

On Blu Ray, my vote goes to Return to Forever - Live at Montreux for the most realistic live experience.

John started a great thread, and it goes beyond just two-channel stereo (analog LP or digital CD, who cares),
and Hybrid Multichannel SACDs and Multichannel DVD-Audios, and Live music concerts on Blu-rays are as good as anything else out there; even from LPs and R-2-R tapes.

It's still Live right? :b

And what is an album exactly?: A twelve-inch disc? A five-inch one? ...& running at what speed?: 15ips, 30ips, 45rpm, 33 1/3rpm, 78rpm,
...at what speed(s) runs a CD/SACD/DVD-A/Blu-ray disc?

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have about 50 Blu-ray concerts and I've not ever got the feeling of being there in the audience, no matter how well they are recorded. They only one IMO that comes close is Legends of Jazz with Ramsey Lewis: Showcase.

Do you have a decent full surround sound setup John?

Can you add Dolby Pro Logic II Music audio mode with analog LPs?
{I know that you can with digital stereo CDs.}

DSP hall and jazz effect audio modes? ...From Yamaha, with Parametric EQualization?

_________

I'd say that some of the best stereo LPs (or/and CDs) have enough spooky realism to bring you live in the moment and in that space.
>>> I like Q-Sound too. ...Expands the soundstage to right behind you; and with only two front (stereo) speakers.
But it's not live; it's studio effects recreated; a trick using phase.

______

*** Check post #21 again. ...And check some of those Chesky recordings (they are excellent in recreating the ambiance and the moment in time).
And same for those Live Mercury Living Presence recordings.

___

* Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session (Recorded in Hamilton, Ontario; 1983)
* Buddy Guy & Junior Wells - Last Time Around-Live at the Legends (Chicago; 1993)

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Do you have a decent full surround sound setup John?

Not any more Bob! I got rid of it a few years back, but I'll get back into soon.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have about 50 Blu-ray concerts and I've not ever got the feeling of being there in the audience, no matter how well they are recorded.
They only one IMO that comes close is Legends of Jazz with Ramsey Lewis: Showcase.

Not any more Bob (no surround sound system setup)! I got rid of it a few years back, but I'll get back into soon.

Here you go John. ...You're missing some important links; centered and surrounded music info. ...Discrete Directivity; natural reverbs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing