What Kind Of Audiophile Are You? Have You Reached Audio Nirvana ?

So what say all of you? And be honest. Have you reached Audio Nirvana or do you have restless energy to continue to swap equipment in and out of your system?
Part two of my reply starts now, Steve and I'll be honest. I have been through the constant swapping of gear to arrive at where I am at now. At times, multiple pieces and/or configurations at a time just for experimentation or to try something new out. Once I reached the conclusion that a KISS is what I preferred, I honed in more on that and since then I feel that I have achieved a slice of audio heaven here on Earth. One thing at a time lately though, so that I can get a good grasp on what the new component has to offer...or not offer.

Personally, I feel that we will never reach true audio reproduction. Close and with the utmost of pleasure with some rigs but realistically, it just is not going to happen. At least in our lifetimes. With that said, I have been more than satisfied with the offerings my rig brings me on a daily basis. Audio nirvana with regards to music has been touched on within my earlier post within this thread.

Somebody had mentioned a quote here on this forum I ran across days or weeks ago that made perfect sense to me. I have actually modified my signature for this reason. My old signature of 7 or 8 years [Not this forum] used to read "In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference". You can look down and see my new signature. I tried to find where I had read what actually gave me the inspiration to change my signature but could not do so in a timely fashion. Point being that the quote I had read on this forum has everything to do with answering part of your original post.

Many a great comment comes from those who have had the chance to hear my rig. Many a great comment comes from myself. That said, the comments as to the deficiencies may be few from others but they are still there and they most definitely do exist. I can honestly tell you that I have more gripes with my rig than many of you admittedly have within your own rig combined. I am extremely analytical in all aspects of the musical reproduction within my rig. Of course, this has nothing to do with the enjoyment or toe tapping and the amount of goosebumps that occur but IMO, there is nothing wrong with holding yourself [your rig] to a higher standard. Even if that standard may not ever reach your goal.

So, to address your question......I have reached audio nirvana everyday I have the pleasure to listen to music [please refer to my first post]. I wouldn't say that I have "restless" energy to continue to swap equipment in and out of my system but I can say that I have slowed down considerably. That said, I will continually try to improve what components or recordings I have to try to catch what's in my signature.

Will I ever reach it? No. I might just catch excellence though. ;)

I believe the original quote is attributed to a MLB manager. I can't seem to remember who though. :)

As I get older and hopefully wiser (it would be a bummer if we actually became dumber as we got older), I try to leave some of the dog out of my dogma. Too much dogma makes one far too rigid in one’s thinking and hampers your ability to consider other points of view besides your own.

There are few absolutes in this world and plenty of variables, compromises, and shades of gray. Everything that is designed and built by man suffers from compromises of one type or another and thus nothing is ever perfect. So you pick your brand of ‘near’ perfection and the bag of compromises it comes with and hope you made good decisions at the end of the day. The smile that is or isn’t on your face is a gage of how successful you were in making your choices.

I have had the same speakers,amplifiers and preamp for dare I say 30+ years. I have had the same brand of cables for nearly 30 years. The equipment has been moved 3 times and each time the sound has had the same quality,although there has been minor differences. These last two years has been extremely gratifying as I believe the end is in sight. If your system makes you laugh,cry and at times give you a adrenaline rush....don't touch a damn thing. Just keep enjoying it before the hearing goes!

Personally, I feel that we will never reach true audio reproduction. Close and with the utmost of pleasure with some rigs but realistically, it just is not going to happen. At least in our lifetimes. With that said, I have been more than satisfied with the offerings my rig brings me on a daily basis. Audio nirvana with regards to music has been touched on within my earlier post within this thread
What I've found satisfying is aiming to make even so called bad recordings yield musical treasure. Whether it's because such a recording has an intense tonal balance, or is old and wrinkled, the message of music is what counts, and if I can listen to it at full bore, realistic volume levels and the "deficiencies" don't intrude to spoil the experience then I'm quite content to call it "true" reproduction ...

Frank

I have had the same speakers,amplifiers and preamp for dare I say 30+ years. I have had the same brand of cables for nearly 30 years. The equipment has been moved 3 times and each time the sound has had the same quality,although there has been minor differences. These last two years has been extremely gratifying as I believe the end is in sight. If your system makes you laugh,cry and at times give you a adrenaline rush....don't touch a damn thing. Just keep enjoying it before the hearing goes!

I hope Amir chimes in here. Howard Stern was bumming out this week over his strobe lights he uses for his photography. He has an instructor who is teaching him to be a photographer. Howard shot some pictures, but he wasn’t sure if the strobe lights had fired. Apparently, when the strobe lights flash, they emit a high-pitched sound. The instructor asked Howard if he heard the strobes when they went off. Howard replied, “What sound?” Howard was mega bummed to know that he lost that part of his hearing and blamed it on having headphones strapped to his ears for well over 30 years.

So Amir, do you know at what frequency the strobes beep at?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing