What is the most MUSICAL DAC? DAC for Music Lovers vs. Geeks and Analytic Listeners

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Yes that would be another type of coloration. No, I don't think neutral is a listener preference. I think it is both measurable and audible, though identifying it audibly through careful comparison to components that have been very thoroughly measured, in your own system, with your own familiar examples. This is only controversial if you don't believe in the efficacy of thorough measurement. I personally don't have a lot of faith in the frequency of thorough measurement, but it does exist, particularly in the pro audio world.

Tim

then it comes down to agreeing on the correct measurements to use in evaluation. the problem is that there isn't agreement even on that. for instance, for an amplifier i want to see distortion increasing with output (no negative feedback)- you might disagree with that and not consider that neutral.

btw, welcome back to the forum. always good to see you here!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Here is an example of the Uncanny Valley with regards to taking the video and analysing it, and creating a rendered equivalent (rather different to motion capture).
The problem with this kind of digitisation is that many times it still seems artificial/unnatural in some way, usually the "emotional" aspect is subtly missing or something just does not seem right.
This is a pretty good example of what is now capable at places like USC-ICT; http://ict.usc.edu/

Watch all way through to 1min45secs.

Although I have to say this is still one my favourites, seriously good (same principle in analysing a real face to be digitally rendered).

Point is some may be using musical to describe what they feel is natural and without being artificial or some kind of subtle dissonance, although the majority I think use it as a way to describe how their listening behaviour and cognitive perception is influenced by the system and reproduced music.
Watching the first video I notice I am drawn to different areas-factors with the before and after.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
then it comes down to agreeing on the correct measurements to use in evaluation. the problem is that there isn't agreement even on that. for instance, for an amplifier i want to see distortion increasing with output (no negative feedback)- you might disagree with that and not consider that neutral.

btw, welcome back to the forum. always good to see you here!

What do you see when there is negative feedback? What's the measurable downside?

Tim

caesar

May 30, 2010
I know a lot of guys are getting bent out of shape about this, but the reality is that the sound we seek is based on our experiences and goals. We all have different things that get us excited. And it is a good thing!

Many guys read the specs and get excited. Many guys read the marketing materials, about some new exotic material, and assume gear is using is best, because it deeply touches their identity. Many guys seek out opinions from designers and dealers they respect. Many guys look for small batches and exclusivity. Many guys look to their friends and hoards of people using a certain product, so they can get extra pleasure by talking about it on an audio board. Many guys with solely engineering mindset hear a certain sound and learn/ force themselves to like it. Many guys want their gear engineered to sound like music, as they hear it.... And likely it’s a combination of several of these.

There are many perspectives on why some like certain gear in high end audio – engineering, psychology, economics, etc.

I have previously stated my thoughts on how references are formed, which is based on cognitive science: ”… we, humans, prefer things that are familiar to us. If you have been going to a small mom and pop jazz bar for the last 30 years, the acoustic signature of that joint is a big part of your reference and what sounds right to you. The pattern recognition and familiarity areas of the brain are activate when one is listening to music. So we have learned to focus on certain tones, pitches, melodies, and harmonic structures over others. In a nutshell, we have learned to focus on some aspects of the sound, those that are familiar to us, while ignoring others. Otherwise, our ancestors would have gotten confused by the various sounds coming from their environment, and would have been easier lunch to the roaming predator. For that same reason, it is why at an audio show some people sit glued, with their jaw agape and the hairs on the back of neck standing up, while others walk out, shaking their head and wondering of what the other "idiots" are so thrilled about when the system sounds "flat" and "dead" to them….”

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ace-of-many%85&p=258456&viewfull=1#post258456

Economics provides yet another perspective: whether we realize it or not we all fall into distinct groups of buyers who might prefer or require varying products. Market segments can be identified by examining demographic, psychographic, and behavioral differences among buyers. If smart, the audio firm then decides which segments present the greatest opportunity—those whose needs the firm can meet in a superior fashion. The offering is positioned in the minds of the target buyers as delivering some central benefits. Using a car example, some guys want the safety of Volvo, while others want the sports car of their dreams in Porsche…

Additionally, looking at the hobby from an economics perspective, High end audio is unique but not that unique. It's an experience good. Gear manufacturers and high end audio magazines are not offering an object for sale, nor a service. Instead, they are offering an experience. (I know many have a hard time accepting this reality, especially on this site, who only see this through am engineering product lens. ). But engineers cannot test a new piece of gear in a lab, like a new tire, and evaluate its performance for audiophiles. That makes it extra hard for us to know in advance if the "experience” for sale is one they we would like to have, so critics and word-of-mouth comments from other consumers play major roles in marketing, and subjective judgments rule. There are few, if any, “objective” claims to high quality, and customers disagree on what is good, so their choices reflect tastes, not verifiable differences in quality. Don’t believe me? Here's a painful experience from the recent Axpona show: Apparently some genius from Magico tried to set the crossover for the Q7 V2 at Axpona using some computer model running in Israel, and how did that work out? Sure Valin and other reviewers liked it, but most thought it was embarrassing for such an expensive system to perfrom like that. The organizers had to turn off that damned sub! A real shame, as so many people would love to hear Magico perform at its potential.

Also, as was mentioned in several posts above, someone driving in their car with an 85 db noise floor or listening to an mp3 on an ipod can be in complete bliss. However, as soon as you play a high end system, so many audiophiles forget to listen to music and start analyzing via audiophile vocabulary and focusing on irrelevant sounds. This analysis is sickening for those of us who want to get lost listening to music.

Check out an excerpt from a reviewer, Alan Sircom. Among so much slime in the audio media. Alan seems like a good guy, he occasionally contributes here, and I have nothing personal against him. Yet check out this quote:

… The resolution on offer here was so significant; it almost made a mockery of what we hear from other systems. One live Mozart recording, you could not only hear two people coughing in the audience, you could not only identify where they were in the physical space, but you could tell one of them was considerably more bronchial than the other. One was polite coughing, the other was ‘have you taken your medication’ coughing. On other systems, you barely hear there is an audience…
The loudspeaker was resolving of system enough to easily hear the difference between digital filters, or switching between triode and solid-state output in the ___ and throwing a soundstage sufficiently large enough to impose imaging limits at the side-wall diffraction panels, and the sealed-box precision and speed to the bass made it one of the…”

This focus on sound is just an appeal to particular marketing segment. Nothing wrong with having “sound” as your objective; interestingly, it infects the vast majority of the reviewers, and huge numbers of audiophiles share it also.

Contrast this with a quote from a Peter “The Great” Breuninger review: …”Attending a concert is one of life’s great pleasures. Going out, enjoying a fine meal…strolling over to the hall, seeing the people, and finding your seat. Waiting for the lights to dim, the anticipation…you know that feeling. When the show starts, you are instantly mesmerized by the performance… It is overwhelming and it is wonderful…”

As a musical example, check out this soul tune by Otis Redding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5q9VgQrmyE

Who cares, if there are keyboards or horns playing in that song? Wait, were there keyboards or horns even playing? :)

This is the experience I am after. Having been to thousands of live shows, why waste your precious, limited mental energy on irrelevant sounds, such as your shoes squeaking, full vs. empty glasses clanging at the bar, etc. Who really cares about the sound of the violinist scratching his balls, if they are shaved balls or au naturel? Why get distracted by extraneous details and noise, hyper-focus on inconsequential details, instead of enjoying the heightening of emotions?…Before the show, I am hoping the musicians are on top of their game, get into the show, find inspiration and creativity, play songs I want to hear, and I find the state of flow where I am transported….

So, different things for different groups of people and market segments.

Regardless of the experience we seek, let’s not forget that despite the arguments, listening to well-reproduced music on a high end system is a hobby about enjoying life and relaxing so we can be better doctors, lawyers, engineers, businessmen, or whatever we do for the majority of the time.

Coming back to topic, let’s please have some more suggestions on DACS that have been superbly engineered and sound like real, live music. What about products combine greatest of engineering and the greatest of golden ears?

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The impression you get with Computer Audio is that the innovators and early adopters in this arena are geeks and engineers who unfortunately spend more time with their computer than listening to real, live music. As a result, most of their recommended components seem to just extract detail but miss the musical whole.

Must Haves:
1. Kick A$$ on PCM
2. Musical naturalness, extract gorgeous tone colors from recording, detail resolution that doesn't take away from musical enjoyment - Individual musical parts must not stand out and get in the way of conveying the musical whole, great macrodynamics, great microdynamics, awesome bass, extract timing of the music from the recording, extended highs, musical transparency (vs. analytical transparency to sources)
3. Be able to turn those old ripped CD's from the 1980s I listened to in college from pathetic to musically engaging
4. Not necessarily sound "analog" in the audiophile way, but sound "analog" like real music

Nice to have: Kick A$$ on DSD (as there is very limited DSD content)

Thread nice to have: As you list your contenders, please let us know what you compared it with, in what system, and with what music

Amusing thread in terms of the responses. It sounds to me Cesar like you need a turntable. What does your system consist of and how much are you looking to spend?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
The impression you get with Computer Audio is that the innovators and early adopters in this arena are geeks and engineers who unfortunately spend more time with their computer than listening to real, live music. As a result, most of their recommended components seem to just extract detail but miss the musical whole.

Must Haves:
3. Be able to turn those old ripped CD's from the 1980s I listened to in college from pathetic to musically engaging
4. Not necessarily sound "analog" in the audiophile way, but sound "analog" like real music

Caesar, unfortunately many of the 80s digital releases are going to be compromised as studios and labels really did not start to get their act together in general IMO until the 90s.
These earlier releases can suffer with issues pertaining to dither-quantization-lsb related distortion, and furthermore compounded by bizarre reverb-phase and more.
Most modern DACs just exacerbate this more from my experience so to get them from pathetic to musically engaging is a very tall order, even if you find a DAC (using specific interpolation and reconstruction filter design or maybe NOS but this has other issues) you will still notice some factor that is not up to modern standards so it is possible the best you can achieve is a balance between engagement and noticing a flaw.
Could try a minimum phase type filter and see how they sound and then go from there.

Cheers
Orb

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Caesar, unfortunately many of the 80s digital releases are going to be compromised as studios and labels really did not start to get their act together in general IMO until the 90s.
These earlier releases can suffer with issues pertaining to dither-quantization-lsb related distortion, and furthermore compounded by bizarre reverb-phase and more.
Most modern DACs just exacerbate this more from my experience so to get them from pathetic to musically engaging is a very tall order, even if you find a DAC (using specific interpolation and reconstruction filter design or maybe NOS but this has other issues) you will still notice some factor that is not up to modern standards so it is possible the best you can achieve is a balance between engagement and noticing a flaw.
Could try a minimum phase type filter and see how they sound and then go from there.

Cheers
Orb

Early CDs were atrocious. I was an early adopter. So many of my first discs had reflective layers visually damaged after a couple of years. Horrible.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Early CDs were atrocious. I was an early adopter. So many of my first discs had reflective layers visually damaged after a couple of years. Horrible.

Yeah, I try to keep my fingers crossed that the poor 80's and early 90's releases were still mastered to analogue and the remasters actually do the performance justice and I hunt them down, although depending upon where screwed up at the time between recording-mixing-mastering it could be academic.

Cheers
Orb

caesar

May 30, 2010
Cesar, psychobabble aside, we need more particulars from you regarding your system and price tag for said dac....:confused:

Hi Geardaddy,

Sorry for the late reply. Between family, work, and other hobbies, I have 5 million things going on. I have an Mbl 101 system, a soundlab system , and looking closely at a horn system . I'm not a format warrior nor a technology warrior. I like both tubes and ss. There are many ways to get great sound. I don't have a turntable at the moment, but can borrow a friends occasionally when he's traveling. I may get one in the next year. However, I am very happy with high quality digitized vinyl (high res.).

The price point is $15k and needs to be 1 box.

Ps. The psychobabble is based on actual psychology and Nobel prize winning economic theory. Guys on this site are very intelligent and successful , so you can't just pull things out of your butt.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Hi Geardaddy,

Sorry for the late reply. Between family, work, and other hobbies, I have 5 million things going on. I have an Mbl 101 system, a soundlab system , and looking closely at a horn system . I'm not a format warrior nor a technology warrior. I like both tubes and ss. There are many ways to get great sound. I don't have a turntable at the moment, but can borrow a friends occasionally when he's traveling. I may get one in the next year. However, I am very happy with high quality digitized vinyl (high res.).

The price point is $15k and needs to be 1 box.

Ps. The psychobabble is based on actual psychology and Nobel prize winning economic theory. Guys on this site are very intelligent and successful , so you can't just pull things out of your butt.

I am a Lampizator fan (L7) and feel it is an excellent product with an "analog" sound. Others that I have not heard but intrigue me are CAD (computer audio design), totaldac (I own their USB cable which is excellent), and the latest reference dac from Berkley.

Also, don't forget the transport which is equally important.

I enjoy the psychobabble. I think the hobby is intrinsically parasitic despite its stated goal of music reproduction. If music is viewed as our "first love," most audiophiles float off into various forms of whoredom whether it be equipment or "sound." I myself gravitate towards being a sound or sonics whore....and a tweak whore....

I am sure you remember this: http://www.stereophile.com/features/203/

It would be fun to duplicate that experiment pitting digital and analog....

Last edited:

maslak34

Ypsilon dac 100 silver version was the best I heard for a long while.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing