What is Reference level and how is it determined?

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Rob,

With all due respect, your peak level may be far different than others.

What I've found over the years, is that the better the system (higher resolution, clarity, etc.) the lower the level one requires to enjoy the system.

Even though my system can do this, I've never reached that peak. Hurts my ears not to mention potential long term hearing damage.

Best.

Hello thedudeabides

You are missing the point. Have you ever used a peak reading digital SPL meter?? If you have you would know that even at average levels or 85dB you can get peaks above 105Db. We are talking instantaneous peaks not averages. If you listen around 85dB you getting exposed to those levels already you just don't know it.

Rob:)

jmhenrie

Aug 22, 2014
omak washington
Recently went to an Elton John concert, I was really enjoying it so I
pulled out my sound meter app and the average was 95db at my seating position max was 103db. So when listening to Elton my reference volume is 95db
Cheers mike

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Recently went to an Elton John concert, I was really enjoying it so I
pulled out my sound meter app and the average was 95db at my seating position max was 103db. So when listening to Elton my reference volume is 95db
Cheers mike

We have to be audiophiles to bring a sound meter to a concert! I love it. Most people try to take selfies, photos, videos, recording...but a sound meter? This is great...95db it is!

EDIT: i re-read it...you wrote sound meter app...is this one of those iphone things? ok...that makes more sense! hah!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This debate about Reference Level brings to mind one of the reasoning behind my preference or high power amplifiers: Real music has a lot of high SPL peaks. Power is needed to correctly reproduce these cleanly.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This debate about Reference Level brings to mind one of the reasoning behind my preference or high power amplifiers: Real music has a lot of high SPL peaks. Power is needed to correctly reproduce these cleanly.

Unfortunately once you start using measurements - a simple RMS voltmeter and a calibration CD are enough - you will find that you are really using all this power, unless you have very inefficient speakers, a very absorptive room or do not care about your ears ...

Most people (surely not you...) get the idea they need power just because in some brands the more powerful amplifiers simply sound better, even at low levels.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Unfortunately once you start using measurements - a simple RMS voltmeter and a calibration CD are enough - you will find that you are really using all this power, unless you have very inefficient speakers, a very absorptive room or do not care about your ears ...

Most people (surely not you...) get the idea they need power just because in some brands the more powerful amplifiers simply sound better, even at low levels.

Ok

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

HI real power or ample headroom...or these these synonymous?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I'm confused. Are we talking about a reference level for technical reasons and a matching level standard, or are we talking about reference level products that manufacturers often use to describe their best efforts and reviewers use to refer to those components which they use as a sonic reference to compare to others under review? It is not clear to me from the OP.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Rob,

With all due respect, your peak level may be far different than others.

What I've found over the years, is that the better the system (higher resolution, clarity, etc.) the lower the level one requires to enjoy the system.

Even though my system can do this, I've never reached that peak. Hurts my ears not to mention potential long term hearing damage.

Best.

I find that with pop/rock music which is relatively compressed, or even Jazz where most recordings are predictable I have a bit of leeway as to the reference level I can play it at. I find minimal adjustment to get the 'right' level.

however; with classical, particularly full orchestral pieces on my system, that getting the reference level right can make a significant difference to the flow of the music since the dynamic and SPL range is so wide. on crescendos and high level runs the SPL's and dynamic energy can be daunting. which is how it is live too. one has to be in the mood to be that involved. and when I am in that mood having that headroom and horsepower in speakers, amplifier and room design makes for quite a ride. of course, that issue is what drove me to move homes and build a dedicated large room. the room and that headroom allows the music to be natural and has sufficient ease on peaks to avoid that full-body-cringe factor. that is where the payback for the commitment lives.

listening to full tilt boogie levels and allowing the music to wash over you and get carried away sonically and physically is lots of fun for me.

there are a few live Jazz recordings which can mimic live energy if I turn them loose too.

I'm looking forward to my new darTZeel preamp which will have the numerical volume readout allowing me to be able to nail that reference level more consistently.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm confused. Are we talking about a reference level for technical reasons and a matching level standard, or are we talking about reference level products that manufacturers often use to describe their best efforts and reviewers use to refer to those components which they use as a sonic reference to compare to others under review? It is not clear to me from the OP.

The bolded. My apologies if I wasn't clear in my OP (I thought I was).

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Mike and Rob,

Point well taken.

In most cases, and as Mike points out, there simply isn't that wide dynamic range swing on the media.

And there is data that suggests that listening to higher SPL's for a sustained time, can eventually damage your hearing.

Am I guilty of listening to say, the Firebird, at aggressive levels. Absolutely. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing