What is Mastering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi
I have sometimes different mastered versions of the same Albums and they are often different and some better to me and many other persons and fellow audiophiles.
Thus my questions. I solicit not only the participation of the professionals but that of the WBF community . I admit that my questions will color me clueless but .. here I go:
What is Mastering? What is involved in Mastering? Why do different Mastering sound … well … so different? Who make the Mastering decisions? What role do the musicians and producers play in the Mastering process?
I thank you in advance (Barry? Bruce? Lee? Those whose names I forgot ;) )

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi
I have sometimes different mastered versions of the same Albums and they are often different and some better to me and many other persons and fellow audiophiles.
Thus my questions. I solicit not only the participation of the professionals but that of the WBF community . I admit that my questions will color me clueless but .. here I go:
What is Mastering? What is involved in Mastering? Why do different Mastering sound … well … so different? Who make the Mastering decisions? What role do the musicians and producers play in the Mastering process?
I thank you in advance (Barry? Bruce? Lee? Those whose names I forgot ;) )

Frantz,

You can start going back to the thread started by the excellent Bruce post:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?7217-What-is-Mastering

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks very much microstrip >>. I will shut down this thread if possible ...

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Wikipedia actually offers a pretty good basic definition:

Mastering, a form of audio post-production, is the process of preparing and transferring recorded audio from a source containing the final mix to a data storage device (the master); the source from which all copies will be produced (via methods such as pressing, duplication or replication).

What it doesn't get into is how much manipulation of the final mix can happen on the way to the master. This manipulation is primarily eq, but can also include, compression, noise reduction, etc, etc, ad infinitum. Digital mastering is extremely powerful, and, as Uncle Ben said, "with great power comes great responsibility." Mastering can help; it can ruin. That is not a function of analog or digital. That is a function of the objectives, taste and skills of the people doing the mastering and the people directing them.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing