What have you done to your system to make Bad Recordings sound more REAL?

caesar

May 30, 2010
For those who never liked, or quickly got sick of audiophile music, and instead prefer a large variety of music, with most recordings being mediocre at best, and horrendous at worst, what have you done to make them sound better?

new turntable? new generation digital? Speakers with BIG woofers? Added several Sub-woofers? more room treatments? certain tubes? anything else?

What has worked for you?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Get a turntable that slightly smears the fine details. Everything will sound a bit warmer and homogenized. After a few days, you won't remember what you are missing. Rod Stewart will sound a Hell of a lot better, however!

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
For those who never liked, or quickly got sick of audiophile music, and instead prefer a large variety of music, with most recordings being mediocre at best, and horrendous at worst, what have you done to make them sound better?

new turntable? new generation digital? Speakers with BIG woofers? Added several Sub-woofers? more room treatments? certain tubes? anything else?

What has worked for you?
A good bourbon or two.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Unfortunately, bad is bad, no matter how much lipstick you put on it. That is a big irony with this hobby. The better your gear, the worst some music sounds. You just have to accept it, and love the music, not the sound.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I got speakers with adjustable tweeter levels. First of which were Revel F30s. When I had Maggies, I used the resistors provided. My current speakers follow this trend. Except now all I need to do is use the built in autoformer gain controls. I can just zero out the settings in a few seconds.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
With flame suit donned: Equalizer/Parametric Tone Controls

. . . . The better your gear, the worst some music sounds. . . .

That is the true curse of the great system.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Non resonant speakers , paper composite mids and big stiff high eff. woofers (with according volume ) plus the most natural caps ive expirienced so far, it makes anything sound nice :p and with a flat FR i dont want to tamper with that( well not above 300- 350 hz anyway ) .
I never liked digital much before but high quality speakers do up the listening enjoyment by a large margin

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
MBL 101s.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, ceasar. I may be the only one who does this here but on bad recordings, I don't even attempt to listen to them on the reference rig. I will play them on a different system like the garage rig, a radio/CD player boombox or in my vehicle. There are some recordings that no matter what you do, they will always sound horrible. I simply choose to listen to them on sub-par systems so they don't sound as bad.

Adele's 21 is a perfect example. Play it on the reference rig and it sounds horrid. Play it in the vehicle while flying down the highway at 55mph with the windows rolled down and all of a sudden, it's tolerable.

Gone are the days of me buying equipment and gear to make a certain album(s) sound good. I just gave up. To me, it was akin to trying to polish a turd so you could pick it up by the clean end. It just won't work.

Tom

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Not a thing
Isn't the point to make your system reproduce the recording as it was recorded???

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Not a thing
Isn't the point to make your system reproduce the recording as it was recorded???

IMO for work yes, for play not necessarily.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
hello, ceasar. I may be the only one who does this here but on bad recordings, i don't even attempt to listen to them on the reference rig. I will play them on a different system like the garage rig, a radio/cd player boombox or in my vehicle. There are some recordings that no matter what you do, they will always sound horrible. I simply choose to listen to them on sub-par systems so they don't sound as bad.

Adele's 21 is a perfect example. Play it on the reference rig and it sounds horrid. play it in the vehicle while flying down the highway at 55mph with the windows rolled down and all of a sudden, it's tolerable.

gone are the days of me buying equipment and gear to make a certain album(s) sound good. I just gave up. To me, it was akin to trying to polish a turd so you could pick it up by the clean end. It just won't work.

Tom

this! +1.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Not a thing

Not quite!!! To me, as a very busy guy, the point of a high end system is to put you in a state of bliss and get you so engrossed in the activity of listening to music that the world disappears from consciousness. With that said, some engineers are much better at reproducing the recording to do just that than others. And if you find those engineers to match your references, you will find that bliss.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hello, ceasar. I may be the only one who does this here but on bad recordings, I don't even attempt to listen to them on the reference rig. I will play them on a different system like the garage rig, a radio/CD player boombox or in my vehicle. There are some recordings that no matter what you do, they will always sound horrible. I simply choose to listen to them on sub-par systems so they don't sound as bad.

Adele's 21 is a perfect example. Play it on the reference rig and it sounds horrid. Play it in the vehicle while flying down the highway at 55mph with the windows rolled down and all of a sudden, it's tolerable.

Gone are the days of me buying equipment and gear to make a certain album(s) sound good. I just gave up. To me, it was akin to trying to polish a turd so you could pick it up by the clean end. It just won't work.

Tom

Tom, you make great points. But put that recording, or say the How the West Was Won, or a live Dead show, on an MBL 101, and it's pretty damn good. Then add a bunch of 15" , or larger, subwoofers to that system, and it gets even better...

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I avoid the problem and only listen to "Jazz At The Pawnshop" and Cat Stevens :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing