What happened to engine braking?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
When I got my Land Rover LR4, I noticed something interesting. It has far less engine braking. Downshifting makes comparatively much less difference than my old LR3 and other cars I have owned. Reading through the brochure, it seems to be caused by the increased efficiency dialed into the transmission (and engine?) to let it roll better.

That said, it is silky smooth the way it downshifts. I am always waiting for a heavy jolt but even if you do insane things like downshifting and having the transmission hit 5000+ RPM, it is still surprisingly gentle. I suspect the above factor is partly responsible for it.

Have others noticed the same in other cars?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
My car has an "intelligent" engine breaking (whatever that means) that shifts down gears as needed, ir even detects if one is on a downhill or taking a turn to compensate any energy at braking dynamically. Just as you Amir I do not feel anything except that the car never makes funny things on an emergency brake. It is a 2011 model.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Mine will also do that especially in sports mode. it is quite nice that way.

BTW, my car is leased. They ding me for brake wear but not transmission wear when the lease is over. So I try to use the engine and transmission to slow down :p. Yes, I am frugal that way. Shoot me. :D

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Mine has an A-T that you can do manual mode on the paddle shifters.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You are right Tom. I had forgotten about the old automatics doing that. Now that you say it, I do miss that.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Mine blips the throttle for me when I hit the paddles. Sounds and feels way cool! They say the new Audi RS5 actually drops in a bit of fuel for a mini detonation. THAT is REALLY cool!

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
My tranny rev-matches when downshifting on manual mode. It also downshifts agressively when braking in sport mode, a feature that is an acquired taste.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing