What do you find, if anything, wrong with this picture?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..come on treitz3 that's a eternity to be sitting on chair's edge, bated breath.. :)

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Maybe what's wrong with the picture is that he darkened it up.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
..come on treitz3 that's a eternity to be sitting on chair's edge, bated breath.. :)

Ooops, sorry man. I have been extremely busy at work lately. Well, it seems that many comments have been written and some of you have a real keen eye. The first thing I noticed about this picture was the fact that the carpet was at and behind the speakers and not in front of. While some folks like this first reflection coming up off the floor, I was floored (no pun intended) when I saw all of the acoustical treatment combined with the wood flooring in front of the speakers. Now I have since learned that they actually put the thin wood flooring over carpet on purpose.

Why on Earth would they do that? Anybody know the real reasoning behind this?

I personally haven't heard a system that couldn't use a carpet or rug over a wood floor. My first thought at looking at the pic I found elsewhere online [I didn't see it posted here, mep. Must have missed it.] was that perhaps the listening position was much further back than what can be seen in the picture and maybe a carpet was further back on the wood floor with the listening position WAY back in the room. I now know it was a setup in a hotel room but with all of the acoustical treatment in there, what gives with the wood floor where it is?

Tom

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The first thing I noticed about this picture was the fact that the carpet was at and behind the speakers and not in front of. While some folks like this first reflection coming up off the floor, I was floored (no pun intended) when I saw all of the acoustical treatment combined with the wood flooring in front of the speakers. Now I have since learned that they actually put the thin wood flooring over carpet on purpose.

Why on Earth would they do that? Anybody know the real reasoning behind this?

I personally haven't heard a system that couldn't use a carpet or rug over a wood floor. (...)

Tom,

Most carpets will do more bad than good to sound. They will not absorb regularly along the frequency spectrum, the abortion spectra will be very irregular and peaked. The rubber backed industrial carpet that is typically used at hotels is considered to be particularly bad in this aspect. Perhaps they considered that a room having many people would have a too low RT60 in the medium high frequencies and decided to increase it using a reflective floor? Let us hope we will have opinions on how the room sounded.

j_j

Jun 25, 2013
In the Rain
home.comcast.net
Carpet is better than wood, though.

More to the point, those particular speakers, with the arrangement of drivers, may limit vertical dispersion very nicely, in which case the floor doesn't matter as much.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm just wondering how that one little midrange can keep up with all the woofers unless the woofers are padded down quite a bit. Not saying it can't be done. I'm just thinking out loud.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing