What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
México city. rauliruegas@hotmail.com
I am interested in what everyone is using and why. If you have more than one I would also be interested in the differences heard in your systems

Dear Steve: These are the cartridges more frequently heard in my system: Technics EPC 100CMK4, AKG P100-LE, Empire 4000D3, Acutex LPM 315III STR, Ortofon A-90, VdH Colibri, Goldbug Ms Brier, Dynavector XV-1s, Audio Technica ATML 180OCC, Signet TK10ML3, Grado The Amber Tribute, Grace F9 Ruby, Sonus Dimension 5, Astatic MF-100 and Micro Acoustic 630.

I don't have the time to post quality performance differences, maybe some other time.

regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I am still using my Benz Ruby 2 medium output mc ( which I actually much prefer to the Kiseki Blue, which I used to own). I also used to own the original Ruby with low output,the Ruby 2 is far more revealing. BTW, has anyone heard the Mobile Fidelity cartridges? A friend if mine owns one and thinks it is the best. I haven't heard his cartridge but trust his ears.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I have a Koetsu Onyx long body mounted on my Koetsu arm and a Grado Gold mounted on my Dynavector DV 507 Mk II arm. I am in a nostalgic mood so I decided to listen to the older designs.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I am still using my Benz Ruby 2 medium output mc ( which I actually much prefer to the Kiseki Blue, which I used to own). I also used to own the original Ruby with low output,the Ruby 2 is far more revealing. BTW, has anyone heard the Mobile Fidelity cartridges? A friend if mine owns one and thinks it is the best. I haven't heard his cartridge but trust his ears.

The MoFis been out for a while but never heard one even at a show. Wonder why other than there's not a lot of them floating around.

What kinda scared me though was setting up a round body cartridge with what looks like (and I might be wrong) a short cantilever. Now there's a project. Now as far as the body goes, everything has a signature. The other carbon fiber bodied cartridge I had years ago, the WB Analog 1, was nice but sounded a little overdamped.

deeng

Aug 27, 2010
Fresno, Ca
I'm using a Lyra Skala in an SME 3009 III arm on an SP10 MK II table. I have a Lyra Titan i in a Phantom II arm on a VPI Aries 3.

Scott

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm using a Lyra Skala in an SME 3009 III arm on an SP10 MK II table. I have a Lyra Titan i in a Phantom II arm on a VPI Aries 3.

Scott

That Titan should oughta sound great in the Graham! Years ago had the Parnassus in the Graham 1.5 on a TNT. Plus the Graham is the easiest arm to set up a cartridge. Bob is a genius at design; too bad meeting demand doesn't come as easy :(

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

The MoFi cartridges are made for MoFi by the Miyabi designer Mr. Haruo Takeda.
I haven't heard the Mofi version of the Miyabi's but the Miyabi Standard and Miyabi 47 Labs versions are great.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am using a Blue Angel Mantis - black body, ruby canteliver cartridge. I have not had that much since I tend to really keep my cartridge investments, but this is by far the best I have owned. Previous experiences with Linns, Denons, Dynavectors, Benzes were all good but the Mantis keeps me attached to my analog setup like never before.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I am using a Blue Angel Mantis - black body, ruby canteliver cartridge. I have not had that much since I tend to really keep my cartridge investments, but this is by far the best I have owned. Previous experiences with Linns, Denons, Dynavectors, Benzes were all good but the Mantis keeps me attached to my analog setup like never before.

I've always wondered about that cartridge. It's made in So. Africa if I'm correct? Never seen one in the US or at a show.

Tell us more about the cartridge and what you think it's strengths and weaknesses are!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hi Myles - It is indeed a cartridge made in South Africa by a gentleman named Andre, there is an interesting story behind hiw he ended up hand-building this cartridge after a broken Koetsu he received from Japan.

This is very Honest-sounding cartridge, by this statement I mean it adds almost no signature of its own, with a very flat reproduction along the audio band, great rendering vocals and acoustic instruments and VERY defined in the extremes without sounding edgy or boomy, nor slow or veiled.

Tracks excelent at 2 grams and needs a little VTA correction to the minus side.

Andre is currently not taking orders, some small audio shops have one or two in their inventory and, as you said, very hard to find.

Hope this adds more information and fulfills your inquiery.

Last edited:

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
There is one Blue Angel Mantis for sales at audiogon now

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Stereo: Dynavector XV1-S (not the most recent version)
Mono: Miyajima Premium BE

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Stereo: Dynavector XV1-S (not the most recent version)
Mono: Miyajima Premium BE

I'll be interested to hear your feedback on the new phono section. The Dynavector's output certain taxes many phono sections!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'll be interested to hear your feedback on the new phono section. The Dynavector's output certain taxes many phono sections!

All I can go on was the demo model I used and in a word "spectacular". I'll have the demo back in my system this weekend with my units set to arrive by RMAF. I'm like a kid on Xmas eve!:D

American Audiophile

Aug 17, 2010
Stuart, FL
Gad after 53 years in this hobby there is not enough space to post the many I have been through. The most pleasing I have had was the Dynavector Ruby. However of the somewhat recent past was the Lyra Clavis, Benz Ruby and now the Denon 301 MKII. I am at my age just about done with mega buck cartridges, I did orphan the Lyra and the Benz and had to have them repaired and eventually moved them on before I orphaned them once again. Both the Benz and the Lyra were spectacular and enjoyed them to the most. Lately went with the Denon 301 MKII to be on safe ground and if I kill it , won't break my heart or wallet. No the Denon is not in that lofty leaque of the Benz or Lyra, but its price/performance ratio puts it as one of the best MC currently offered today. I play a lot of vinyl about 25 to 30 hours per week and thus far the Denon 301 MKII has been a very pleasant surprise. Currently used with a Spectral DMC 6 preamp and the 301 MKII has never sounded better. Had to find a safe port for me now at 67 and the Denon 301 MKII fills that requirement. The Denon 301 MKII has near same signature of the Denon 103 D and ,low and behold spec wise they are virtually the same.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Well my trusty Dynavector XV1-s gave up the ghost after providing many, many hours of listening pleasure.

I purchased a new Benz LPS and am very pleased.

The Dynavector has been sent to Japan for diagnosis and treatment; current prognosis is uncertain.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well my trusty Dynavector XV1-s gave up the ghost after providing many, many hours of listening pleasure.

I purchased a new Benz LPS and am very pleased.

The Dynavector has been sent to Japan for diagnosis and treatment; current prognosis is uncertain.

Two years ago, Richard Vandersteen's room at CES used among other gear, the top of the line Clearaudio cartridge; last year, the room was essentially the same save for the cartridge-a Benz LPS. And his room sounded much better to my ears :) Think the newest Benz sounds like a very special cartridge! (of course, Clearaudio just released the V2 version of their cartridge ;) )

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I did audition the new Clearaudio DaVinci v2 and it is a terrific cartridge. My preference would be to combine the best qualities of the Benz and Clearaudio (hey I'm an audiophile!). Different presentation than the Benz but equally good (yin/yang thing). I'm also a fan of the sadly discontinued Ortofon A90. Would have loved to give a Miyabi an audition...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I did audition the new Clearaudio DaVinci v2 and it is a terrific cartridge. My preference would be to combine the best qualities of the Benz and Clearaudio (hey I'm an audiophile!). Different presentation than the Benz but equally good (yin/yang thing). I'm also a fan of the sadly discontinued Ortofon A90. Would have loved to give a Miyabi an audition...

No you wouldn't on the Miyabi :) The Miyabi is the single hardest cartridge to set up this side of the Red Rose :) In fact worse because of the 1960s style mounting arrangement.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Add red Rose info
No you wouldn't on the Miyabi :) The Miyabi is the single hardest cartridge to set up this side of the Red Rose :) In fact worse because of the 1960s style mounting arrangement.

I'm a fanboy of the (old) Miyabi Cello, and Mark Levinsons. They are quick and snappy with very clear low mids, Read: no midbass overhang. I find them easy to set up compared to my Grasshopper Gold. That darn thing taxes your patience, 1/100th of a millimeter off and it's thin and 2D. The old Miyabi is a cakewalk compared to the VdH hair puller. I use a Goldmund T3f, a nightmare of an arm to set up. But once you get it right... ahhhh. Sit back, push the button and it's all automatic. Like ALL ARMS SHOULD BE!!! Did I say that loud enough :)

There is nothing like having the record come to an end and you just sit and watch the little Swiss engineered (or French?) mechanism pick up and move the arm assembly back to rest.

Any other Goldmund arm fans out there?

Peter B.

ops.. forget to add, isn't the Red Rose just another Cello/ML Miyabi?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing