What cars are you looking forward to?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The car I think is an instant classic and future collectible plus can be had cheap is the merc sl65 amg ... I think it was the last of the breed to have the v12 engine.
I have driven one and been driven as well... fun and viciously wild car but docile enough for the wife to take to the store..massively undertuned engine..

I was thinking about this car, but it's way behind the times. It still uses the older 5-speed/torque converter and other than a V-12, the sl63 has the exact same options and body style for $50k less! I'm glad I got the sl63 with the 7-speed MCT and the bark is as bad as its bite. I know most people will scoff at these prices ... $170k - $220k. You're getting into Lamborghini/Ferrari territory.

Last edited:

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
I'm really happy with my E Class - nothing special - but very comfortable in Sydney traffic, and pleasant on the open road. Mine is the E250 - which uses a 4 cylinder twin turbo engine. Drives like a 6 cylinder. Full consumption around town is woeful. I really like the safety features, which have saved me a few times (mainly from rear ends - cars suddenly stopping etc).

The new E class looks interesting as well. Very much in the family now.

View attachment 26238

I'd love a SL500, but the prices here are obscene. Like $500k obscene.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I was thinking about this car, but it's way behind the times. It still uses the older 5-speed/torque converter and other than a V-12, the sl63 has the exact same options and body style for $50k less! I'm glad I got the sl63 with the 7-speed MCT and the bark is as bad as its bite. I know most people will scoff at these prices ... $170k - $220k. You're getting into Lamborghini/Ferrari territory.

Not to mention the V12 Benz is truly in another league of maintenance expense and qualified technicians are hard to find.
Because of that reason they can usually be found pretty cheep on (relatively speeking) on the used market.
Great way to lose 50k driving off the lot.

Your lowly V8 already has more power than the car can put to ground without TC kicking in. Ask Andre at Brabus about that, he is not happy about it.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
$1,000 for a Bentley oil change

I sold off my last [Bentley] of a long line of decades of expensive cars; between cops & traffic they were not enjoyed.
What I would like [not kidding] is the current Z06 with the body removed & replaced with a rusted-out pickup truck body. The guts could be Ferrari, Mercedes, Bentley, etc., but the maintenance is then exponential. $1,000 for a Bentley oil change, and that is dealer Mobil 1; NOT Redline or Amsoil or other true synthetic.
zztop7

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I sold off my last [Bentley] of a long line of decades of expensive cars; between cops & traffic they were not enjoyed.
What I would like [not kidding] is the current Z06 with the body removed & replaced with a rusted-out pickup truck body. The guts could be Ferrari, Mercedes, Bentley, etc., but the maintenance is then exponential. $1,000 for a Bentley oil change, and that is dealer Mobil 1; NOT Redline or Amsoil or other true synthetic.
zztop7

I dread the day I have to take mine in for maintenance that is not covered under warranty. I have a 3yr. Schedule A/B maintenance plan that I'm so glad I got. My lowly Toyota has a 3yr. maintenance plan that was FREE when I bought the car!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You can pay a lot less than any of those expensive cars ZZtop7, to get a Corvette with whatever you want on top. People do stuff like that all the time.

Is there not a lot of irony that 400hp+ cars from the 60's were reliable everyday drivers, and now we're told that anything at that level or above should break down constantly? I suppose the only true benefit of today is you can get higher mileage out of today's engines because the lower end is made better.

Porsche is probably what I'd choose anymore. They have a few manual models and they're one of the most reliable cars including everything on the road. JD ratings are fairly good, CR are bad.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
zztop7
The only thing that makes that oil change cheap was the $3,500 I was paying for oil change in my twin, turbo-diesel Volvo powered boat!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The only thing that makes that oil change cheap was the $3,500 I was paying for oil change in my twin, turbo-diesel Volvo powered boat!

I'll do it for $3,000. At that price I can take a little vacation to attend an audiophile meeting over there.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA

Please explain: does it take 100+ quarts of oil? / other things included like re-packing the props? / etc.?

zz.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Please explain: does it take 100+ quarts of oil? / other things included like re-packing the props? / etc.?

zz.
No repacking of props as that had IO engine. With two engines, cramped compartment, dual hydrolic systems, etc. it was a miserable job I did not want to do myself. Did all the other work myself though, one of which almost killed me!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
It's almost as bad with my motorcycles. Just a damn oil change/preventive maintenance is $400 !!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's almost as bad with my motorcycles. Just a damn oil change/preventive maintenance is $400 !!

What bikes? My father rides a Harley and has found some differences in prices that are appropriate and nuts between the dealership and reputable places.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Old muscle cars (I owned many) had much simpler systems
I can rebuild a holley carb or a 454 with my eyes closed

As an ex drag racer.. I did everything myself...

These days you need a rocket scientist with a computer to service the cars ..mostly part replacement jockeys anyway..no fixes

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
That's partially because of better manufacturing and design that allows longer life spans on the basic parts of an engine.

What cars today do you think best embody muscle cars? I think the biggest problem is the design on the outside doesn't see much variance. The amorphsism is a bit out of hand. That's why Lambo's stand out so much, they have some definitive lines and aren't bulby.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I dont think there is anything modern that approximates muscle , muscle was just raw power , no handling , no braking , no safety , no nothing really... just cool to own , cool to drive

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I guess it makes me wonder why no manufacturers are willing to touch it. The desire is there. Hell, people even want manuals but are having trouble getting them.

Is there just a personal vendetta among car manufacturers to not give people what they want, like bad health care instead of single payer option? I don't understand it.

How well would a modern day muscle car sell that wasn't a clunky amorphous driving airbag? Harley's are selling like hot cakes and they're more rumble, louder than ever. They handle better but they're the embodiment of that killer sound amplified.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I think that safety and legislation have done away with true muscle cars

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Here's some muscle...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 286
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 317
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 287

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Sexy beast right there!

I have not seen an F12 in all carbon fiber interior yet, it looks fantastic!

I have a guy about to pull the trigger on about 130k of carbon fiber/exhaust/bypass/lowering with lift/glass engine cover. I told him we have a carbon fiber bridge for his 458 spider and he about fell over, gotta have it!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing