What cars are you looking forward to?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

This is a balance tween fun and practicallity.

Say no more!! ;)

I was also looking at the Aston Martin Vantage GT convertible as well, but it wasn't fast enough for me!! I know Aston has contracted with AMG and will be using those engines in some of their cars later this year. The new DB11 sure missed its chance!

Another manufacturer using the AMG engine is Pagani....

Pagani.jpg

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Audi R8 Entry Model Will Get Twin-Turbo V-6

Audi’s entry-level R8 will be powered by a twin-turbocharged V-6 engine, Car and Driver has learned from reliable sources. The new model is expected to launch in 2018; its 3.0-liter engine will make around 450 horsepower.

The twin-turbo engine is a variation of the 354-hp V-6 launched in the 2017 Audi S4. It will be mated to the same seven-speed dual-clutch automatic that is fitted in the R8 V10, with its naturally aspirated V-10 engine. Torque will be delivered to all four wheels, with a rear bias to enhance agility. Top speed will be ungoverned, and the R8 V6 is expected to max out at around 190 mph.

The news dispels rumors that the entry-level R8 would be powered by a turbocharged 2.5-liter five-cylinder, like the TT RS. “A five-cylinder engine in the R8 would have created a strange internal competition between the entry-level R8 and the TT RS,” a source told us.

Meanwhile, the V-8–powered R8 is history. Audi no longer makes naturally aspirated V-8 engines—as found in the previous-generation entry-level R8—and a twin-turbocharged V-8 would come uncomfortably close to the V-10 top-of-the-line car.

The R8 V6 will represent the third powertrain option for the R8. Audi is planning to launch a very limited run of the all-electric R8 e-tron. Down the road, there also will be higher-powered variations of the V-10.

We expect the R8 V6 to be unveiled in early 2018, with a midyear start as a 2019 model. Look for it to be available as both a coupe and a roadster

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Mercedes and some other companies like Porsche are starting to charge absurd amounts of money for performance increases. It doesn't help them that the aftermarket world offers reliable (often better) upgrades these days.

At least with Ferrari you get into a whole new car if you spend more money.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Renntech and Weistec are big aftermarket companies for MB.... so is Brabus. I'm sure Porsche and BMW have great aftermarket support as well. The bad thing about these parts is that it voids the manufacturers warranty. I bought a Renntech Stage 2 kit for my car (855HP/945TQ) but I can't find anyone to install it and warrantee the work. I'll have to wait 'til it's expired, which is a bummer.... like almost 600HP isn't enough already!! LOL

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
A smart dealership would test out a few after market packages and figure out which work best for them. That way they could increase their service level, while also getting people to spend more money that otherwise look at $40-80k bumps in prices as a bit ridiculous. It might even be possible for them to make a better margin than selling the higher class model. But I don't know if that's allowable in contracts between dealerships and the manufacturer.

Way back in 1966 my father ordered an Oldsmobile 442. He told them, "make it fast." What he got was an 842. There's no record of such a thing, only the Tri-powers. but the Tri-powers ran like dogs compared to the 842. It's clear the dealership mechanics had a hay-day probably thinking my father wouldn't live through it. The horsepower is unknown but based on top speed and timed distances it had to have been pretty high. The dash only read to 120mph, and but when he found somewhere to take it up to it's top speed the needle would go past 120mph, past 0 and back around to about 15mph. It exceeded any sort of calculable safety for aerodynamics given that it didn't have enough down force to keep him in the lane he started in on conrers ending up at the outside. No one ever beat him in a race at full speed. Although one time a 427/425hp Corvette got passed by him and the fellow later came into the restaurant my father was headed too awhile after he arrived, "who out here owns the 66 Cutless, and WHAT THE HELL IS IN IT, I had my corvette to floor and you disappeared." His rear end gearing had to be near closer to 2 than 3 ratio. In town the car was fast but he got beat on short races somewhat easily given the fact that it was impossible to floor it and have traction. The stock tires burst into flames, literally. And that's what a dealership should be like.

*Few correction made by talking to my old man today.

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
. The stock tires burst into flames, literally. And that's what a dealership should be like.

Oh... you want to see tires burst into flames! Check out this C63 AMG.... I don't have the balls/$$ to do it. I can imagine what my Pirelli P-Zero tires cost!

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..don't have my eye on anything beyond what I bought last year...my 2015 BMW 228i M Sport. I realize it's in a lower strata than other vehicles mentioned but hey, I'm just a piker I guess :)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Oh... you want to see tires burst into flames! Check out this C63 AMG.... I don't have the balls/$$ to do it. I can imagine what my Pirelli P-Zero tires cost!

There is no accounting for stupidity.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
..don't have my eye on anything beyond what I bought last year...my 2015 BMW 228i M Sport. I realize it's in a lower strata than other vehicles mentioned but hey, I'm just a piker I guess :)

Wrong, you're a sensible car buyer! I love my 2014 328i M sport as well as my 2008 Cayman. Both get 36 mpg on the highway and both exceed 30mpg in combined city and highway driving. The BMW is electronically speed limited to 155mph, while the Porsche will do 160. Both handle exceedingly well due to engineering and weight distribution. Now, if I was interested in doing track time, more power would be nice, but I feel this is a sensible balance of power to efficiency ratio for the street.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
The car I think is an instant classic and future collectible plus can be had cheap is the merc sl65 amg ... I think it was the last of the breed to have the v12 engine.
I have driven one and been driven as well... fun and viciously wild car but docile enough for the wife to take to the store..massively undertuned engine..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing