What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

12inch single half-speed mastered @ abbey road 100% analogue

I don't know what the prior post has to do with classical music??

James Dillon: black/nebulae for piano duo
Noriko Kawai & Hiroaki Takenouchi, pianos

s-l500.jpg

This disc just released today is spinning this morning and it's a keeper!--

Franz J. Haydn: String Quartets-- in G major, Op. 54 no. 1 & in C major, Op. 54 no. 2

811vtjw6oLL._SL1417_.jpg

41GXw9RQUjL.jpg

What a gentle man and a committed artist! I am proud to have known him, albeit briefly.

Do tell!

This recording convinced that digital audio wasn't completely evil.

51Bk076yzfL.jpg

No.41.

51NgWtGBtvL._SS500.jpg

Mozart's 24th.

5110IIyJ9kL._SS500.jpg

One of my favorite Enescu works--

George Enescu: Piano Sonata No. 3
Raluca ?tirb??, piano

51BFYSwA8OL.jpg

Great music and one of my new references for sound quality of a piano.

Beethoven - Delos.jpg

This disc just released today is spinning this morning and it's a keeper!--

Franz J. Haydn: String Quartets-- in G major, Op. 54 no. 1 & in C major, Op. 54 no. 2

View attachment 30784

Thank you, bought Flac 24/96 Master File, do like Haydn.

HUGE fan of Haydn myself. Bach first, Handel second and possibly Haydn tied for 2nd or a photo-finish 3rd.

HUGE fan of Haydn myself. Bach first, Handel second and possibly Haydn tied for 2nd or a photo-finish 3rd.
Chopin first - of course:), Haydn, Beethoven , Mozart and then- others. I know- hardly original:)

Chopin first - of course:), Haydn, Beethoven , Mozart and then- others. I know- hardly original:)

My wife loves Chopin. Ivan Moravec Nocturnes is probably my favorite CD of Chopin works.

Let me know what you think. There are aspects of these performances which I suspect might prove to be controversial in some circles.

Let me know what you think. There are aspects of these performances which I suspect might prove to be controversial in some circles.

The only thing which is obvious from first notes is that they play a bit faster than on usual performance.
Is that what you mean?

My wife loves Chopin. Ivan Moravec Nocturnes is probably my favorite CD of Chopin works.
My favorite performance of Nocturnes is Living Stereo recording by Arthur Rubinstein, the best sonics - Gergely Boganyi from Stockfish Recordigns , direct cut double sacd album.
I do not have Moravec though.

My favorite performance of Nocturnes is Living Stereo recording by Arthur Rubinstein, the best sonics - Gergely Boganyi from Stockfish Recordigns , direct cut double sacd album.
I do not have Moravec though.

Thanks! By any chance, have you looked at the new Schiff Complete Beethoven Sonatas? Recorded on ECM on 2 Bosdendofer and 1 Steinway...while i suppose Schiff might not be my absolute first pick for Beethoven...i AM very intrigued to hear such an accomplished pianist on Bosendorfers and super-well recorded by a label like ECM and on the complete works no less. I have Emile Gilels full Beethoven sonatas but he did not get to complete them before he sadly passed away.

Has anyone heard the new Schiff Complete Beethoven Sonatas? Recorded on ECM on 2 Bosdendofer and 1 Steinway...while i suppose Schiff might not be my absolute first pick for Beethoven...i AM very intrigued to hear such an accomplished pianist on Bosendorfers and super-well recorded by a label like ECM and on the complete works no less. I have Emile Gilels full Beethoven sonatas but he did not get to complete them before he sadly passed away.

I like Kovacevich's Diabelli Variations, have full Gilels and have Richter's difficult to find 4-CD box Praga recordings (which have continued to improve as our digital has improved).

Thanks for any guidance!

The only thing which is obvious from first notes is that they play a bit faster than on usual performance.
Is that what you mean?

No. Actually, overall, I think their tempos are quite moderate.

What might be controversial is the the 1st violinist's daring use of ad libitum ornamentation. Consider especially the adagio (mvt. 2) of Op. 54 no. 2. where the Hungarian folk music influence is emphasized by the added ornaments, rubato and 1/4 tone flattening of certain notes.

I hear some of this ad lib ornamentation in the 1st violin in various places throughout the six quartets but I never thought is was at all excessive. It seems always in the service of the spirit of the music and I believe it is true to current understanding of HIP.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing