What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

HiFi News have the sound quality at 95% , wonder what they are listening to !

image.jpg

Well, I suppose it's OK for mono. I'd love to know what a 100% recording is on their scale!

Damn, no vinyl? I'm very hesitant towards DGG... it's rare they're rated highly for sound but I do so like some piano pieces.

Damn, no vinyl? I'm very hesitant towards DGG... it's rare they're rated highly for sound but I do so like some piano pieces.

The are re-releasing this recording on vinyl in October:

51RKU%2B2OHyL.jpg

I have some of those pieces on CD--adequate sound, but a little thin/brittle. The LP might sound better.

I guess the bird is incorrect in this picture, but great album.

Great music - one of my favorite recordings. Unfortunately the ESOTERIC remastered SACD become a collectible and is now seriously overpriced.

Attachments

• a1.JPG
    a1.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 83
Great classical playlists

I love violin and especially Arabella Steinbacher who is in my opinion one of the best violinist of the moment. Her last album with PENTATONE is amazing, I strongly recommend it and it's available in DSD 2.8! I'm also a streaming listener on a daily basis and I just discovered that her record label PENTATONE created a serie named Artist Spotlight with selections of her best works. It's really great. And they have done the same for Julia Fischer (even if I prefer Arabella Steinbacher, I still share the link with you as it's still a really nice selection)Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 17.20.04.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/user/pentatoneclassics/playlist/4a7i11Scws0D8cZgWNgLZM
https://open.spotify.com/user/pentatoneclassics/playlist/1Mkz9RJfHQ2V918cRaumNE

The title might be a little overstated, but these are certainly enjoyable pieces, and the sound is definitely exceptional! (The disc is now exceptionally expensive at $59!)

81bGClde2eL._SL500_.jpg

Quartet No.4. Wonderful playing and pretty good sound. It's a bit more distant than I prefer but plenty good enough.

51SnXTJR7YL.jpg

51cVufEJ60L.jpg

An all-around excellent recording.

71R0mo-p5-L._SL500_.jpg

This set arrived today, and I listened to the first 6: so far, so good! He composed them in 1937/38, a few years before Hindemith and Shostakovitch composed their cycles. Great playing of what sounds like quite demanding music, and the sound is very good, too.

81Js5hl3jpL._SL500_.jpg

81S5%2BXavFpL._SL500_.jpg

When I first bought this disc, I thought this SQ was too aggressive. After listening to them again today, I've reconsidered. Yes, they are aggressive, but not to the point of being unmusical. If you want the frisson and intensity of a live quartet, then they are a good bet! (For a mellower experience, choose the newest Tokyo SQ series.) Very present and clear sound. My only gripe is that Op.133 is treated as a separate piece, and not the last movement of Op.130, which is on another disc!

51SQodNX4FL.jpg

41jlTvQ8ocL.jpg

One of the oldest CD's in my collection (1986) and it still dazzles--

F. J. Haydn: Symphony No. 49 in F minor 'La Passione'

R-8378605-1460453508-3657.jpeg.jpg

and,

Florent Schmitt: Symphonie concertante, Op. 82

s-l1600.jpg

Charles Koechlin: Sonata for Violin and Piano, Op. 64

51tJbXKMWDL._SS500.jpg

One of the boldest and most original works to come from Haydn's pen. It strongly foreshadows the late Beethoven quartets--

F. J. Haydn: String Quartet in C major, Op. 20 no. 2

R-5564494-1396810143-9467.jpeg.jpg

One of the boldest and most original works to come from Haydn's pen. It strongly foreshadows the late Beethoven quartets--

F. J. Haydn: String Quartet in C major, Op. 20 no. 2

R-5564494-1396810143-9467.jpeg.jpg

Interesting...i have the entire Haydn String Quartets by Kodaly Quartet...have you heard? Big fan of Haydn...its possible i have nearly all of his works from various artists. thanks for any guidance.

Pogorelich Live at Carnegie Hall in 1990--long before his personal tragedies and mental health issues affected his playing. His encore of "Islamey" is staggeringly good!

Interesting...i have the entire Haydn String Quartets by Kodaly Quartet...have you heard? Big fan of Haydn...its possible i have nearly all of his works from various artists. thanks for any guidance.

I've not properly heard the Kodalys doing Haydn. Only on the radio while driving. Modern instrument performances never sound quite right to my ears though. I invariably prefer HIP in pre-1850 music.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing