What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Kal, if I would have been serious I wouldn't have asked publicly. Plus we both added an emoticon...for not being serious.

* On a more serious note (reality); we all have some music recordings that we bought when the prices were regular.
@ the time we didn't realize that later on they would become high price collector items. ...Because of the number of prints, limited editions, popularity, demand, etc.
It is a good feeling knowing that our music collection comprises such high praise/priced recordings.
On the other side, it's sad that more audiophiles won't be able to listen for that same reason. Or unless by extensive research from the underground...if luck is on our side.

* A used one: https://www.coolgales.com/product/esoteric-schoenberg-berg-webern-sacd/
It seems to be a 2-disc (SACD stereo/hybrid) set? ...Made in Japan.
** New: http://www.jazzybird.com/item/1/0-1...rbert-von-karajan-schoenberg-berg-webern.html
*** New: http://www.cdandlp.com/en/herbert-von-karajan/schoenberg-berg-webern/sacd/r113980040/

That's missing in North America; quality music pressings from Japan...LPs and SACD/CDs.

Last edited:
Kal, if I would have been serious I wouldn't have asked publicly. Plus we both added an emoticon...for not being serious.
Yes but emoticons can be ambiguous.

* On a more serious note (reality); we all have some music recordings that we bought when the prices were regular.
@ the time we didn't realize that later on they would become high price collector items. ...Because of the number of prints, limited editions, popularity, demand, etc.
It is a good feeling knowing that our music collection comprises such high praise/priced recordings.
On the other side, it's sad that more audiophiles won't be able to listen for that same reason. Or unless by extensive research from the underground...if luck is on our side.
I agree. This recording has been ripped and I do listen only to files these days, so it is sad that the original will be relegated to a storage box in my basement and that others will not be able to listen to it.

Not only emoticons can be ambiguous. ...Word's interpretation, photographs, pictures, paintings, sex, music, films, drugs, money, religion and politics.
_________

This classical music thread is one of the safest. :b

____

Last edited:
Yes but emoticons can be ambiguous.

I agree. This recording has been ripped and I do listen only to files these days, so it is sad that the original will be relegated to a storage box in my basement and that others will not be able to listen to it.

Would that be a convenience thing , or do you reckon file replay has surpassed a good disc spinner ??

Would that be a convenience thing , or do you reckon file replay has surpassed a good disc spinner ??

I assume the former.
Yes, convenience but at no penalty in sound quality. I hesitate to say that the file playback is superior but I have that belief.

Wonderful in all aspects.

51kc2jUkqQL.jpg

Intense performances and outstanding sound.

81hhTwev59L._SL500_.jpg

81Z8vGkCF8L._SL500_.jpg

Slower than most, but very passionate and dramatic.

Brahms-Piano-Concerto-No-1-Zimerman-Bernstein-cover.jpg

I just love these SACD remastered analogue recordings. The sound is so rich and life-like--easily as good if not better than most contemporary recordings, and the playing is sublime.

61sEneO8EAL._SL500_.jpg

71%2BtA7n4yOL._SL500_.jpg

I just love these SACD remastered analogue recordings. The sound is so rich and life-like--easily as good if not better than most contemporary recordings, and the playing is sublime.

61sEneO8EAL._SL500_.jpg

71%2BtA7n4yOL._SL500_.jpg

These seem to be multi-channel... is that how you are listening to them?

These seem to be multi-channel... is that how you are listening to them?

No, there's a 2-channel SACD layer, too. I used to have a multi-channel system, but too few labels properly used the rear channels: most of the time there was too much direct sound from them, so it sounded as if I were in the middle of the orchestra! Then, if I turned them down enough to sound more realistic, the level was too low for those recordings that had primarily hall sound in the rear, so there was no perceived benefit. Plus, my listening room was not conducive to a proper m-ch setup with 5 matched speakers--a bit of a budget-breaker, too! (To put it in perspective, imagine what 5 of your Magico speakers would cost, not to mention the electronics! I don't think you could even do it with Pass Labs gear, so it's also hard to find the same quality of components in multi-channel as opposed to stereo.)

No.1 and 2 today. Great sound and masterful playing. Probably not for HIP purists, though.

61Jo8GtmRrL.jpg

On the outer limits of my contemporary tolerance, but the sound is certainly good.

81DadBae36L._SL500_.jpg

Yes, i listened to a little of Norgard and could not get myself to buy it.

Yes, i listened to a little of Norgard and could not get myself to buy it.

Some works are more experimental and inaccessible. A few pieces, such as his Symphony No.1 sound like a darker, more intense Sibelius. I prefer that era!

Some works are more experimental and inaccessible. A few pieces, such as his Symphony No.1 sound like a darker, more intense Sibelius. I prefer that era!

will bear that in mind if i go back to listen some more...definitely a fan of Sibelius.

No.3-6 today. Fantastic!

61Jo8GtmRrL.jpg

It's good to see a wee bit of Norgard appreciation here. IMO, he's the greatest living symphonist we have. His music is marvelously rich and multilayered usually requiring quite a few repeat listenings to grasp. Even after 10 or so listenings to symphonies 4-8 I continue to make new discoveries, uncovering thematic and structural connections I'd previously overlooked.

And now there's the added fascination of being able to compare the Segerstam cycle on Chandos with the emerging new cycle on Da Capo with Storgards.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing