What are some great 300B SET amps $5-7K?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
the 6c33 is a Russian regulator tube developed for MIG fighter jets
Tommy Hørning in Denmark use them for that in his SATI tt psu
very important to get properly selected and matched tubes, otherwise they might have very short lifespan. i.e less than 2K hours

SVS

Jan 19, 2020
Ukraine, Vinnytsia
sound-design-atelier.com
They aren’t coming here anymore…Urs bought them.
They’ll come to u one day. Our visit last Sunday was super spontaneous and the amps where still to hot to put them into the car. Or we‘ll set up a meeting at my place…
We can go another way so as not to disturb Urs. we are currently making several pairs of these monoblocks, one of them will have a 47k input impedance to work with Christoph's DAC. I need another 2-3 weeks.

SVS

Jan 19, 2020
Ukraine, Vinnytsia
sound-design-atelier.com
the 6c33 is a Russian regulator tube developed for MIG fighter jets
Tommy Hørning in Denmark use them for that in his SATI tt psu
very important to get properly selected and matched tubes, otherwise they might have very short lifespan. i.e less than 2K hours
You are wrong in several cases.
- 6?33? is not a Russian, but a Soviet tube. You can't see the difference, but it is there. Why is Russia not producing 6?33? even though the demand for them is very high now?
- The term of operation of the tubes does not depend on the selection, but on the modes of operation.
In our amplifiers, we use soft start and electronic control of output tubes. I will extend it several times. the term of operation of the tubes.
This does not apply to OTL amplifiers. There, the tubes are used in a very loaded mode and "burn out" very quickly.

SVS

Jan 19, 2020
Ukraine, Vinnytsia
sound-design-atelier.com
I only have experience with it in OTLs
There selection means a lot
Try SET amplifiers. I have never heard an OTL amplifier that I liked in my life. I don't think that I was unlucky, it's just that the tube is a device that is designed to work with low current, and the speaker needs a large current, and this contradiction is difficult to solve with a large number of tubes. The transformer really solves this problem, although it has its own peculiarities.

In addition, OTL is a PP amplifier with appropriate sound characteristics.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
You are wrong in several cases.
- 6?33? is not a Russian, but a Soviet tube. You can't see the difference, but it is there. Why is Russia not producing 6?33? even though the demand for them is very high now?
- The term of operation of the tubes does not depend on the selection, but on the modes of operation.
In our amplifiers, we use soft start and electronic control of output tubes. I will extend it several times. the term of operation of the tubes.
This does not apply to OTL amplifiers. There, the tubes are used in a very loaded mode and "burn out" very quickly.
It is historically correct to interchange Russia for the Soviet Union. The Russian Federation was the largest part of the Soviet Union and where the leadership, major manufacturing hubs, and research laboratories were.

Reactions: bonzo75

SVS

Jan 19, 2020
Ukraine, Vinnytsia
sound-design-atelier.com
It is historically correct to interchange Russia for the Soviet Union. The Russian Federation was the largest part of the Soviet Union and where the leadership, major manufacturing hubs, and research laboratories were.
While the Soviet Union was ruled by Georgians and Ukrainians, it existed. It died under the first Russian leader.
The Russians themselves made the word "Russia" synonymous with the Soviet Union, and they still have the ambitions of the Russian Empire. And it was they who wrote the article in Wikipedia, so there is no need to be surprised..

The "Russian" tube GM-70 was made in Tashkent, now it is Uzbekistan, if we are talking about our topic.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
While the Soviet Union was ruled by Georgians and Ukrainians, it existed. It died under the first Russian leader.
Nope. It existed for the duration of the Soviet Union and was abolished after the Union dissolved.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
The Russians themselves made the word "Russia" synonymous with the Soviet Union, and they still have the ambitions of the Russian Empire. And it was they who wrote the article in Wikipedia, so there is no need to be surprised..

The "Russian" tube GM-70 was made in Tashkent, now it is Uzbekistan, if we are talking about our topic.
Actually, GM70 made in the Foton plant in Tashkent in Uzbekistan (former Soviet Union, but not in Russia), which burnt down in the early seventies and was never rebuilt, aren’t the only ones. The earliest GM70 I’ve seen were by Melz in Moscow (Russia), and the majority available on the market today are by Ulyanovsk (also in Russia). Not sure I’m following?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

SVS

Jan 19, 2020
Ukraine, Vinnytsia
sound-design-atelier.com
Actually, GM70 made in the Foton plant in Tashkent in Uzbekistan (former Soviet Union, but not in Russia), which burnt down in the early seventies and was never rebuilt, aren’t the only ones. The earliest GM70 I’ve seen were by Melz in Moscow (Russia), and the majority available on the market today are by Ulyanovsk (also in Russia). Not sure I’m following?
Enterprises that designed tubes in the USSR were MELZ in Moscow and "Svetlana" in Leningrad. There were more manufacturers. At that time, your enterprises were state-owned and they used the potential of the entire country. Now there is no such country, no such potential and no production of those tubes. This is exactly what I am trying to tell you.

Reactions: acousticsguru

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
I've read the entire thread and would be fair and square to read about the comprehensive feedback on these pages (i know it from @Phonatix side)...

Thanks David!
Cheers from Lausanne
I had the opportunity to audition the Sound Design Atelier SE33 monoblocks from the Ukraine in several systems (i.e. @christoph with the beautiful hORNS Universum speakers), including one of my own for a number of days. They're a nicely broadband design with good deep bass extension and control, as well as extended treble. I'd characterize the sound, to echo designer Serhii Savchuk's terminology, as more of a "studio" compared to the "concert" sound and perspective of e.g. the Amplifon SET42 Special Edition (the GM70 integrated amplifier, other comparison amps included Decware 25th Anniversary Zen Triode, Line Magnetic AS-125 and KR Audio VA350i). It's the tightest and most neutral 6C33C implementation I've heard, so much so I was reminded of the sound of some OTL designs or microphone preamplifiers. The 128-step resistor network volume control in 0.5dB increments is a nice feature as these could be used to bi-amp passive speakers or actively with an active crossover, except the volume can only be controlled via remote (separately for each channel but not for both channels simultaneously) and there's no display indicating the volume level. Having said that, we much preferred the sound using a preamp (e.g. Christoph's Aries Cerat Incito). The demos have a 10k? input impedance (if using a DAC direct, this worked better with e.g. dCS than Lampizator), but note these can be ordered with e.g. a 47 or 100k? input impedance as well. Build quality is excellent, with the exception of the (wooden) remote that worked great (Volume, Power Amp mode bypassing the volume control, and Standby), but looked and felt cheap, and came without markings (nor was there a manual included with our demos), having said that, Urs reports he is going to get a metal remote control from the manufacturer. Polarity was inverted on one of the IEC AC inlets (I realize no one in the EU cares a fig, but using Swiss power cords, this would be problem as the amps will sound off hooking them up this way). Packaging would need to be greatly improved if these were shipped versus dropped off by a carrier (not a problem in that case). Our demo pair was dead quiet out of the speakers, transformer hum is virtually inaudible (other than laying one's ear on the chassis), they're trouble-free and stable, and came with well curated NOS tubes (RCA 4BQ7A, GE 6AU5GT and CCCP 6C33C, all from the seventies as far as I could tell), with the 6C33Cs running nowhere as hot as e.g. the twice as powerful GM70s. Output tabs (8 and 16? for the demo pair, standard appears to be 4 and 8?) can only be accessed internally via removing the bottom cover. As mentioned earlier in this thread, @Phonatix liked these so much he decided to keep the demo pair, he uses them with a Lampizator TRP DAC and icOn4 autoformer based passive preamplifier which provides the necessary impedance matching.

Last edited:

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
Late to this thread but I have a very powerful and nice sounding Ayon Spark Delta based on 6C33C and I was able to load up on NOS tubes as the war broke out.

Reactions: morricab

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
I had the opportunity to audition the Sound Design Atelier SE33 monoblocks from the Ukraine in several systems (i.e. @christoph with the beautiful hORNS Universum speakers), including one of my own for a number of days. They're a nicely broadband design with good deep bass extension and control, as well as extended treble. I'd characterize the sound, to echo designer Serhii Savchuk's terminology, as more of a "studio" compared to the "concert" sound and perspective of e.g. the Amplifon SET42 Special Edition (the GM70 integrated amplifier, other comparison amps included Decware 25th Anniversary Zen Triode, Line Magnetic AS-125 and KR Audio VA350i). It's the tightest and most neutral 6C33C implementation I've heard, so much so I was reminded of the sound of some OTL designs or microphone preamplifiers. The 128-step resistor network volume control in 0.5dB is a nice feature as these could be used to bi-amp passive speakers or actively with an active crossover, except the volume can only be controlled via remote (separately for each channel but not for both channels simultaneously) and there's no display indicating the volume level. Having said that, we much preferred the sound using a preamp (e.g. Christoph's Aries Cerat Incito). The demos have a 10k? input impedance (if using a DAC direct, this worked better with e.g. dCS then Lampizator), but note these can be ordered with e.g. a 47 or 100k? input impedance as well. Build quality is excellent, with the exception of the (wooden) remote that worked great (Volume, Power Amp mode bypassing the volume control, and Standby), but looked and felt cheap, and came without markings (nor was there a manual included with our demos), having said that, Urs reports he is going to get a metal remote control from the manufacturer. Polarity was inverted on one of the IEC inlets (I realize no one in the EU cares a fig, but using Swiss power cords, this would be problem as the amps will sound off hooking them up this way). Packaging would need to be greatly improved if these were shipped versus dropped off by a carrier (not a problem in that case). Our demo pair was dead quiet out of the speakers, transformer hum is virtually inaudible (other than laying one's ear on the chassis), they're trouble-free and stable, and came with well curated NOS tubes (RCA 4BQ7A, GE 6AU5GT and CCCP 6C33C, all from the seventies as far as I could tell), with the 6C33Cs running nowhere as hot as e.g. the twice as powerful GM70s. Output tabs (8 and 16? for the demo pair, standard appears to be 4 and 8?) can only be accessed internally via removing the bottom cover. As mentioned earlier in this thread, @Phonatix liked these so much he decided to keep the demo pair, he uses them with a Lampizator TRP DAC and icOn4 autoformer based passive preamplifier which provides the necessary impedance matching.

And here it is! The first photo of the very first metal remote ctrl built for Sound Design Atelier amplifiers: IMG_7002.jpeg
I‘ll get it in a few weeks. Very well done Serhii!!!

And yes! I love these monos a lot! Great amplifiers!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I had the opportunity to audition the Sound Design Atelier SE33 monoblocks from the Ukraine in several systems (i.e. @christoph with the beautiful hORNS Universum speakers), including one of my own for a number of days. They're a nicely broadband design with good deep bass extension and control, as well as extended treble. I'd characterize the sound, to echo designer Serhii Savchuk's terminology, as more of a "studio" compared to the "concert" sound and perspective of e.g. the Amplifon SET42 Special Edition (the GM70 integrated amplifier, other comparison amps included Decware 25th Anniversary Zen Triode, Line Magnetic AS-125 and KR Audio VA350i). It's the tightest and most neutral 6C33C implementation I've heard, so much so I was reminded of the sound of some OTL designs or microphone preamplifiers. The 128-step resistor network volume control in 0.5dB is a nice feature as these could be used to bi-amp passive speakers or actively with an active crossover, except the volume can only be controlled via remote (separately for each channel but not for both channels simultaneously) and there's no display indicating the volume level. Having said that, we much preferred the sound using a preamp (e.g. Christoph's Aries Cerat Incito). The demos have a 10k? input impedance (if using a DAC direct, this worked better with e.g. dCS then Lampizator), but note these can be ordered with e.g. a 47 or 100k? input impedance as well. Build quality is excellent, with the exception of the (wooden) remote that worked great (Volume, Power Amp mode bypassing the volume control, and Standby), but looked and felt cheap, and came without markings (nor was there a manual included with our demos), having said that, Urs reports he is going to get a metal remote control from the manufacturer. Polarity was inverted on one of the IEC inlets (I realize no one in the EU cares a fig, but using Swiss power cords, this would be problem as the amps will sound off hooking them up this way). Packaging would need to be greatly improved if these were shipped versus dropped off by a carrier (not a problem in that case). Our demo pair was dead quiet out of the speakers, transformer hum is virtually inaudible (other than laying one's ear on the chassis), they're trouble-free and stable, and came with well curated NOS tubes (RCA 4BQ7A, GE 6AU5GT and CCCP 6C33C, all from the seventies as far as I could tell), with the 6C33Cs running nowhere as hot as e.g. the twice as powerful GM70s. Output tabs (8 and 16? for the demo pair, standard appears to be 4 and 8?) can only be accessed internally via removing the bottom cover. As mentioned earlier in this thread, @Phonatix liked these so much he decided to keep the demo pair, he uses them with a Lampizator TRP DAC and icOn4 autoformer based passive preamplifier which provides the necessary impedance matching.

Thank you David for that very extensive and thorough write-up!

SVS

Jan 19, 2020
Ukraine, Vinnytsia
sound-design-atelier.com
I had the opportunity to audition the Sound Design Atelier SE33 monoblocks from the Ukraine in several systems (i.e. @christoph with the beautiful hORNS Universum speakers), including one of my own for a number of days. They're a nicely broadband design with good deep bass extension and control, as well as extended treble. I'd characterize the sound, to echo designer Serhii Savchuk's terminology, as more of a "studio" compared to the "concert" sound and perspective of e.g. the Amplifon SET42 Special Edition (the GM70 integrated amplifier, other comparison amps included Decware 25th Anniversary Zen Triode, Line Magnetic AS-125 and KR Audio VA350i). It's the tightest and most neutral 6C33C implementation I've heard, so much so I was reminded of the sound of some OTL designs or microphone preamplifiers. The 128-step resistor network volume control in 0.5dB increments is a nice feature as these could be used to bi-amp passive speakers or actively with an active crossover, except the volume can only be controlled via remote (separately for each channel but not for both channels simultaneously) and there's no display indicating the volume level. Having said that, we much preferred the sound using a preamp (e.g. Christoph's Aries Cerat Incito). The demos have a 10k? input impedance (if using a DAC direct, this worked better with e.g. dCS than Lampizator), but note these can be ordered with e.g. a 47 or 100k? input impedance as well. Build quality is excellent, with the exception of the (wooden) remote that worked great (Volume, Power Amp mode bypassing the volume control, and Standby), but looked and felt cheap, and came without markings (nor was there a manual included with our demos), having said that, Urs reports he is going to get a metal remote control from the manufacturer. Polarity was inverted on one of the IEC AC inlets (I realize no one in the EU cares a fig, but using Swiss power cords, this would be problem as the amps will sound off hooking them up this way). Packaging would need to be greatly improved if these were shipped versus dropped off by a carrier (not a problem in that case). Our demo pair was dead quiet out of the speakers, transformer hum is virtually inaudible (other than laying one's ear on the chassis), they're trouble-free and stable, and came with well curated NOS tubes (RCA 4BQ7A, GE 6AU5GT and CCCP 6C33C, all from the seventies as far as I could tell), with the 6C33Cs running nowhere as hot as e.g. the twice as powerful GM70s. Output tabs (8 and 16? for the demo pair, standard appears to be 4 and 8?) can only be accessed internally via removing the bottom cover. As mentioned earlier in this thread, @Phonatix liked these so much he decided to keep the demo pair, he uses them with a Lampizator TRP DAC and icOn4 autoformer based passive preamplifier which provides the necessary impedance matching.

Thanks David for the review. Feedback from the consumer is very valuable for the manufacturer, it allows us to make our products better.

The remote control can be controlled by two channels at the same time, you need to press two buttons at the same time. The absence of a display of the volume control status compensates for the output power indicator, it was always enough to adjust the balance.

The low input resistance makes the amplifier less sensitive to the quality of the interconnect cables, so we chose the 10 k? standard. But we can make it bigger or smaller by agreement with the customer, it is not a problem.

Now we practice delivery by carriers, it is much more reliable and faster and our packaging guarantees no damage. Any packaging does not guarantee against problems in case of bad transportation, for example the photo of the package from Bochum that I received in the mail two months ago. The 18mm-thick furniture board box did not guarantee the integrity of the investment (it is difficult to guarantee anything with such damage).

The output transformer works best when it has no unused windings. Therefore, we do not make separate outputs on 4 Ohms or 8 Ohms, but make switching with the help of jumpers. Switching can be easily done by the user himself using a screwdriver.
You can not use jumpers. In 4 Ohm mode, monoblocks on 8 Ohm spikes give an output power of about 15 W.

Urs has already written about the remote control, there is already a metal design.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 10
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 10
  • jumper.jpg
    jumper.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 9

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
I received a parcel from Ukraine today:
IMG_7204.jpeg

This is the first remote control from Sound Design Atelier in this new design. Thank you very much Sherii (@Sound Design Atelier / @SVS) - It looks much better in real life than in the photos I previously received! Love it!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing