Welcome to the HIFi Miser Forum!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think Andre made it very clear in his first post that the products would cost less than $1500. With that said, surely a speaker cable that costs $1499 and can best cables that are ten to thirty times that amount should be considered a great value. In my books, that would certainly be the case! Or, are we put off by the fact that the component in question is 'only' a cable...vs. a far more acceptable piece of electronics in a box. (even if said electronics were easily out done by a 'slightly' more expensive alternate 'box'). I do believe that we are somewhat conditioned to see more 'value' in the shiny box than in the simple piece of cabling. ( even IF this same cabling has far more technological research and therefore cost than the 'shiny' box). All IMHO.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I think Andre made it very clear in his first post that the products would cost less than $1500. With that said, surely a speaker cable that costs $1499 and can best cables that are ten to thirty times that amount should be considered a great value. In my books, that would certainly be the case! Or are we put off by the fact that the component in question is 'only' a cable...vs. a far more acceptable piece of electronics in a box. (even if said electronics were easily out done by a 'slightly' more expensive alternate 'box'). I do believe that we are somewhat conditioned to see more 'value' in the shiny box than in the simple piece of cabling. ( even IF this same cabling has far more technological research and therefore cost than the 'shiny' box). All IMHO.

Davey,you really nailed it...!

Cables often set off fireworks due to the perception that there is much snake oil to be found in this category. The shame is it paints everybody with the same brush.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Just in for formal review:

The MicroZOTL 2.0 tubed headphone amp and preamp: $1100.
Designed by David Berning and available from Urban HiFi.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Guys, the MicroZOTL 2.0 preamp/headphone amp is something special. Two days out of the box and I am highly impressed. It will take time to see
what it is really capable of. Pics will follow.

Driving an $8000 Simaudio 760 120wpc amp and $3200 Bryston Mini T speakers, this $1100 piece is not in anyway out of its league.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Guys, the MicroZOTL 2.0 preamp/headphone amp is something special. Two days out of the box and I am highly impressed. It will take time to see
what it is really capable of. Pics will follow.

Driving an $8000 Simaudio 760 120wpc amp and $3200 Bryston Mini T speakers, this $1100 piece is not in anyway out of its league.

Andre, the piece does look fairly impressive. i always like to see that kind of RCA connector and speaker connector utilized. I'm not sure if others believe this like I do, BUT when I see the cheaper RCA's that are typically utilized by many manufacturer's of less worthy gear, I usually expect the SQ to be nothing too worthy. I have rarely been surprised by this stereotype.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, the piece does look fairly impressive. i always like to see that kind of RCA connector and speaker connector utilized. I'm not sure if others believe this like I do, BUT when I see the cheaper RCA's that are typically utilized by many manufacturer's of less worthy gear, I usually expect the SQ to be nothing too worthy. I have rarely been surprised by this stereotype.

Davey, I was not sure what to expect from an $1100 preamp, it is one area, where the term "budget" is usually not applied. It is the one place I would not skimp. However, Berning, the designer, did not fool around here. The piece exudes class. There is an out board power supply as well, which I understand they are going to improve soon. The piece is sold direct, and built in the USA. If this was a dealer piece I suspect the price would would be significantly higher. Do note, there is no remote control.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Our new member, Tube Nirvana, hand builds tube preamps and power amps.

Here are three I am very interested in:

The Ella:$995. Purist approach tube Preamp with individual channel volume and master volume

The Aretha: 1400 (w/phono, $1250 without) tube preamp that includes Tone Controls

The Big O power amp, 25 watts per channel, $1400.

Tube Nirvana

Oct 22, 2015
Brookings, Oregon
www.erhard-audio.com
thanks Andre for posting some of my gear here.
I will give forum members a good deal on prices. My margins are not very high, but I'm sure we can come up with a good forum member price!
This not only applies to the models shown here, but on all my models!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
thanks Andre for posting some of my gear here.
I will give forum members a good deal on prices. My margins are not very high, but I'm sure we can come up with a good forum member price!
This not only applies to the models shown here, but on all my models!

Wow, that is very generous of you, considering the margins are low.

I do have a few quick questions.

On the Big O..can KT 120's be used?

On the Ella preamp, can the source labels be customized?

andre

Tube Nirvana

Oct 22, 2015
Brookings, Oregon
www.erhard-audio.com
No, KT88 is the 'biggest' tube that can be used. You can however use 6550 or KT90, all that needs to be done is to re adjust the 'balance'/bias. Especially the 6550, there some really great sounding NOS samples out there!
If you've got your heart set on KT120's, it would need to be my model Fats Domino @ 60W/CH stereo or model Big Bopper 125W mono block.

Yes, I can customize the wording on the panels, thats easy! :D

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
No, KT88 is the 'biggest' tube that can be used. You can however use 6550 or KT90, all that needs to be done is to re adjust the 'balance'/bias. Especially the 6550, there some really great sounding NOS samples out there!
If you've got your heart set on KT120's, it would need to be my model Fats Domino @ 60W/CH stereo or model Big Bopper 125W mono block.

Yes, I can customize the wording on the panels, thats easy! :D

Very, very nice.

I do have some sweet unused SED "Winged C" 6550s I used to use with my ARC VS55 before going over to KT120s.

Ok, this is out of left field..but ever think of designing a tube preamp with 300B tubes?:cool:

Tube Nirvana

Oct 22, 2015
Brookings, Oregon
www.erhard-audio.com
I had looked at 300B's, but for now I will not. I've not even got requests for perhaps building a 300B amp.
Not sure why, but the 300B does not really 'turn me on'.....;)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I had looked at 300B's, but for now I will not. I've not even got requests for perhaps building a 300B amp.
Not sure why, but the 300B does not really 'turn me on'.....;)

Understood. Admittedly, the 300B really has limited applications for an amp. Lovely sounding tube, don't get me wrong.

Tube Nirvana

Oct 22, 2015
Brookings, Oregon
www.erhard-audio.com
but here's something out of the left corner...and don't tell anyone....;) I am working on a stereo 10 octave/CH all tube EQ...model Hendrix......I think its going to be quite unique, I've not recently seen any tube EQ's for home audio use. It will have RCA and XLR in & outputs...but like I said...its a secret!! ;)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
but here's something out of the left corner...and don't tell anyone....;) I am working on a stereo 10 octave/CH all tube EQ...model Hendrix......I think its going to be quite unique, I've not recently seen any tube EQ's for home audio use. It will have RCA and XLR in & outputs...but like I said...its a secret!! ;)

Wow. that IS out of the left corner! I will be very curious as to how that product will be received. I would have loved when one when I was hanging out in recording studios in my 20s!

Tube Nirvana

Oct 22, 2015
Brookings, Oregon
www.erhard-audio.com
its not for the purist.....thats for sure. Bench tests have worked amazingly well, it is basically an op amp circuit using tubes, a very simple but very effective circuit. It will be a challenge keeping it quiet with minimal hum etc., a total of 13 tubes!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
its not for the purist.....thats for sure. Bench tests have worked amazingly well, it is basically an op amp circuit using tubes, a very simple but very effective circuit. It will be a challenge keeping it quiet, a total of 13 tubes!

Interesting. My dad was the experimenter. I've developed a Zen like dedication to simplicity. That is why I find your preamps so attractive...they look like nice clean signal paths are the key.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
its not for the purist.....thats for sure. Bench tests have worked amazingly well, it is basically an op amp circuit using tubes, a very simple but very effective circuit. It will be a challenge keeping it quiet with minimal hum etc., a total of 13 tubes!
13 tubes per channel? :eek:

Is this a parametric EQ? If so, what is the range for Q?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing