Welcome to the HIFi Miser Forum!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
here is a write up by PTA on a $1200 system at RMAF:

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/10/16/rmaf-2015-villagers-outraged-at-audioengine-and-auralic/

"First, this sort of price point is an unconscionable act of audio terrorism. What are all of those $5,000 speaker-makers going to say? Nasty things, that’s what. Just nasty. Second, as AudioEngine is making those active speakers, you can imagine what the amplifier makers are saying about that. Whoo wee! Those guys do not kiss their mother with that mouth, clearly. Tsk, tsk. Third, AudioEngine thinks that they can do “all of that” wirelessly? Well, I can tell you, the expensive cable folks have already lit the torches, rounded up the villagers, and are marching on the castle — as we speak."

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I've positioned my products to be the best value for the money and would be honored if you want to give them a shot, Andre.

My modified SurgeX power conditioner has won awards including best of show, cost no object 2 years running, 1st by TAS, then by EJM. While they can go for over $1500 they can also go for $1k even with more basic parts.

My top end IC cables are under $1500 and feature OCC silver/gold alloy signal wires. Consider the fact that brands like Wireworld and Siltech's top end cables use UPOCC silver made by the same manufacturer who makes my wire, and the silver/gold alloy I have custom made for my cables cost about 50% more than UPOCC silver, you can see that the value I offer is unprecedented. About 95% of folks think my D4 IC cables are the best they have ever used and about 85% purchase them after demoing. Most that do not purchase do so because of financial reasons. They routinely beat out other cables regardless of cost.

My PL power cables use the amazing and often imitated Furutech FI-50 plugs and my own custom UPOCC copper litz wire are priced well under $1500. They were used with my modded SurgeX at the last 2 RMAF events that won awards as well. My PL power cables have never lost an evaluation vs another brand regardless of cost.

My opinion is that my modded SurgeX and top-end cables are among the best possible products of their kind, even compared to cost-no-object equipment. I accomplish this by keeping the designs simple, I use the best quality parts available and sell direct. The reviews and testimonials back this up and I offer free in-home demos so you can see for yourself without risk.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I've positioned my products to be the best value for the money and would be honored if you want to give them a shot, Andre.

My modified SurgeX power conditioner has won awards including best of show, cost no object 2 years running, 1st by TAS, then by EJM. While they can go for over $1500 they can also go for $1k even with more basic parts.

My top end IC cables are under $1500 and feature OCC silver/gold alloy signal wires. Consider the fact that brands like Wireworld and Siltech's top end cables use UPOCC silver made by the same manufacturer who makes my wire, and the silver/gold alloy I have custom made for my cables cost about 50% more than UPOCC silver, you can see that the value I offer is unprecedented. About 95% of folks think my D4 IC cables are the best they have ever used and about 85% purchase them after demoing. Most that do not purchase do so because of financial reasons. They routinely beat out other cables regardless of cost.

My PL power cables use the amazing and often imitated Furutech FI-50 plugs and my own custom UPOCC copper litz wire are priced well under $1500. They were used with my modded SurgeX at the last 2 RMAF events that won awards as well. My PL power cables have never lost an evaluation vs another brand regardless of cost.

My opinion is that my modded SurgeX and top-end cables are among the best possible products of their kind, even compared to cost-no-object equipment. I accomplish this by keeping the designs simple, I use the best quality parts available and sell direct. The reviews and testimonials back this up and I offer free in-home demos so you can see for yourself without risk.

David, I would be honored to explore your products.

Your design philosophy of simple designs, high quality parts, and direct sales is music to my ears. I've built both of my systems by seeking out manufacturers with this type of methodology whenever possible.

Feel free to send me a PM.

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com

Well, the HiFiMiser forum is off to a fast start with a commercial for $1000+ cables.

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
Surely you must be joking with manufacturer specific forums here that are virtual storefronts.

I don't like the blatent self-promation anywhere but let's keep it in in the manufacturer specic forums if it is here.

$ 1000+ cables don't fit with the idea of a HiFi Miser in any real world way. If you are limited to $ 1500 for a pair of speakers, $ 1000 for a pair of cables is ridiculous.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I don't like the blatent self-promation anywhere but let's keep it in in the manufacturer specic forums if it is here.

$ 1000+ cables don't fit with the idea of a HiFi Miser in any real world way. If you are limited to $ 1500 for a pair of speakers, $ 1000 for a pair of cables is ridiculous.
I see your point and it is noted. But also do take note that ZenWave has interconnects starting at $125 and speaker cables starting starting at $234. I have never used the products and have no affiliation.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
OL, sorry if I offended you but Andre did say manufacturers are welcome. While it may come off as self promotional the goal of my post was for Andre to be interested enough to want to take the time to check out my gear. There's a whole lot of factual information in what I wrote and I did avoid subjective, flowery descriptions of my products sonic attributes. I also could have included a long list of cables in the top price ranges my cable has been preferred over, but chose not to.

I think the products I offer are perfect for a more value oriented section of the forum. While they are not cheap, the value for the money is hard to argue with. I would think it's a good thing for people to have access to gear that can play in the cost-no-object leagues for much less money. I also offer less expensive options but I think my top end products fit this particular circumstance. I can certainly include my less expensive options in any potential review if Andre is interested though.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gentlemen, let's please keep this thread friendly and share information with each other without what we see on other forums. We are better than this.

I don't personally have a $300,000.00 system. Far from it. What I can say without getting into too much detail is that I have cables that were $1.5K a pair for my "miser" system. For some, it just depends on what they want to be frugal with. For me? It just so happened to not be with the cables. All of the suggestions are just that....suggestions. It doesn't mean that one has to go out and purchase thousand dollar cables to complete a low cost system. It simply means that one of our members suggested something that may be over the top for some, yet frugal for others who are following.

With that said, please carry on.

Tom

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

<snip>

This says to me that while they may be superb value for money, they don't really fall in the 'miser' category

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Gentlemen, let's please keep this thread friendly and share information with each other without what we see on other forums. We are better than this.

I don't personally have a $300,00.00 system. Far from it. What I can say without getting into too much detail is that I have cables that were $1.5K a pair for my "miser" system. For some, it just depends on what they want to be frugal with. For me? It just so happened to not be with the cables. All of the suggestions are just that....suggestions. It doesn't mean that one has to go out and purchase thousand dollar cables to complete a low cost system. It simply means that one of our members suggested something that may be over the top for some, yet frugal for others who are following.

With that said, please carry on.

Tom

Tom, good points. In the end it is a matter of priorities. Some choose to $20,000 on a DSD only DAC, some choose,to,spend $15,000 on power conditioning. That to me is just plain crazy, but i understand others have different priorities and i don't judge.

I do know someone who purchased a $3000 power cord for a $3000 amp. Would i? No Way, but it made him happy.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
This says to me that while they may be superb value for money, they don't really fall in the 'miser' category

It's all relative, especially in audio where systems range from a $100 to $1m... ZenWave products are frugal compared to many other brands.

If it's not your idea of frugal that's ok, for someone else it may be a perfect fit.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
so we should rename the forum "Welcome to the HiFi Miser Forum for the one percent" :)

Did you see the products mentioned on the first page? Most here would not be caught dead with them.

I just received an $1100 OTL tubed preamp/ headphone amp designed by David Berning. 1% my butt.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
It's all relative, especially in audio where systems range from a $100 to $1m... ZenWave products are frugal compared to many other brands.

If it's not your idea of frugal that's ok, for someone else it may be a perfect fit.

seriously chaps, if that is what passes as "miserly" or "frugal" on WBF then there is a real danger of alienating some of your members.

Perhaps there could be a separate "great value" thread that these products fit in, but miserly, no, not by any sensible definition

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
seriously chaps, if that is what passes as "miserly" or "frugal" on WBF then there is a real danger of alienating some of your members.

Perhaps there could be a separate "great value" thread that these products fit in, but miserly, no, not by any sensible definition

I think there's enough room and flexibility on the forum for different definitions of frugal or value. Or would you like to determine them for us all? If so, what criteria do you deem acceptable?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
If those who are put off by the prices of products offered in this thread, then please......by all means.....make a thread that states that what is wanted is a complete system for "x" amount. What that amount is, well that would be up to the member. We have folks from all walks of life, all incomes, all different everything on this forum. There is no way we can cater to all given the diversity.

That's a good thing.

What's a bad thing is when members start complaining about the terms of what a system should cost. That debate would NEVER be agreed upon. Ever.

Please, instead of making comments that fog, disrupt and make many members otherwise turned off by having to sift through the unwanted? Make a new thread that specifically states what it is that the thread should be about. A 5K or under system. A 3K or under system. A 1 or 2K or under system. Whatever the threshold? Make it known. With a forum that hosts members who have 3 million dollar systems, rooms and/or buildings, acoustitions or multiple acoustitions to tie it all together down to what is considered frugal or a "miser" system? There is a lot of grey area there.

Be specific and if you can't? Please do not pollute this thread. ;)

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing