Wasatch's 2 Channel Rig

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Manley is great, I had the Wave and a pair of mono amps some time ago and always liked their sound. I can guess your answer but, why the preamp is located at the bottom of your rack?

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
Manley is great, I had the Wave and a pair of mono amps some time ago and always liked their sound. I can guess your answer but, why the preamp is located at the bottom of your rack?

Where should it be? And Why?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
*Normally* the preamp is located higher in a rack so you don't constantly have to bend down when changing the volume and/or sources. Obviously it can be wherever you want it.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
*Normally* the preamp is located higher in a rack so you don't constantly have to bend down when changing the volume and/or sources. Obviously it can be wherever you want it.

Yeap

Only reason to have it that low is if your cables are not long enough to reach the amps and/or liking to do more exercise while listening to some music.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My pre is in the lowest tier too because the power supply is as far as I can get it and the umbilical cord is too short. I also don't like the idea of long phono cables (rolls off highs) so the phonostage has to be on the higher shelf. :)

Nice system Wasatch! Have you tried the optional outboard supply for the P5? It's a great add on :)

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
My pre is in the lowest tier too because the power supply is as far as I can get it and the umbilical cord is too short. I also don't like the idea of long phono cables (rolls off highs) so the phonostage has to be on the higher shelf. :)

Nice system Wasatch! Have you tried the optional outboard supply for the P5? It's a great add on :)

I have the TTPSU on the same shelf with the Dynavector P75 Mk2.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Excellent. I missed that :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've always liked the Rega/Dyna combo...it's almost like they were made for eachother. I do think that the P5 deserves a level upgrade to the 20x2 though. Is this potentially a consideration for you down the road?

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
I've always liked the Rega/Dyna combo...it's almost like they were made for eachother. I do think that the P5 deserves a level upgrade to the 20x2 though. Is this potentially a consideration for you down the road?

Either the 17D3 or XX2 MKII.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Nice setup Wasatch. Our local club, the Pacific Northwest Audio Society, also has the Rega P5, and we've found a couple of worthwhile upgrades. I noticed that your weight is hanging quite far back on your tonearm, I think that the Michell Technoweight might be a good cost effective upgrade for you. The P5 is also very sensitive to what it sits on. Since your rack has metal colums, it could ring. A "suspension" consisting of the Ikea butcher's block and hockey pucks might improve SQ on your turntable with very little cost.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40082918/

They used to have a long version - I can't seem to find it in their catalog anymore. The vertical grain blocks sound better than the horizontal grain blocks.

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
Thanks. I'll be getting the Rega tungsten counter weight this summer. Also a new rack for Christmas.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nice setup Wasatch. Our local club, the Pacific Northwest Audio Society, also has the Rega P5, and we've found a couple of worthwhile upgrades. I noticed that your weight is hanging quite far back on your tonearm, I think that the Michell Technoweight might be a good cost effective upgrade for you. The P5 is also very sensitive to what it sits on. Since your rack has metal colums, it could ring. A "suspension" consisting of the Ikea butcher's block and hockey pucks might improve SQ on your turntable with very little cost.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40082918/

They used to have a long version - I can't seem to find it in their catalog anymore. The vertical grain blocks sound better than the horizontal grain blocks.

Something like this?
2 Channel Room..jpg

If IKEA doesn't sell them any longer, try another kitchen supply store. They should be easy to find.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Something like this?
View attachment 2981

If IKEA doesn't sell them any longer, try another kitchen supply store. They should be easy to find.

Yes! I knew that there was someone on this forum that had that set-up.

You know that you would get much better imaging and soundstage if you moved the rack from between the speakers, don't you?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yes! I knew that there was someone on this forum that had that set-up.

You know that you would get much better imaging and soundstage if you moved the rack from between the speakers, don't you?

Yes I know...and I have. Although a bit inconvenient, my vinyl has been moved back to my main vinyl storage in the living room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing