Shunyata Alpha HC Power Cords compared to the Shunyata Anaconda Zitron Power Cords

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Amado,
This is a potentially very interesting observation. Can you please be a little more descriptive so we can understand the experiment in more detail? Simply put, what exactly did you do? What is the device that was generating the buzzing sound? I think we can all see that with the MIT cable, the buzzing sound was still there, and with the Alpha HC (only the male end was connected to AC, correct?), it disappeared. Please elaborate.
Marty

I thought the video was pretty cool, but like you, I didn't understand what was going on other than the noise disappeared.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Mark

I can tell you that since I have changed to Shunyata cable as well as Hydras in both front and back end my system has never been so quiet. I did the same experiment in my room but ears only and my observations as well as everyone else here who use Shunyata. The change is really as profound as seeing the needle drop on that meter.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What didn't you understand

I had no idea what that meter was and what the hell was making all of the racket. In other words, what he was doing and his testing protocol were completely unknown to me.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I had no idea what that meter was and what the hell was making all of the racket. In other words, what he was doing and his testing protocol were completely unknown to me.

Same here; but my guess is that noise is being shunted to ground, via some capacitor or something between hot and ground. Would love to get more details on the test.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So as a follow-up, in my Alpha HC Typhon Umbilical, FWIW, I am measuring capacitive coupling between either hot or neutral and ground of 1nF

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
I'm a bit late to this party.

I bought an Alpha Digital power cord today. The rest of my system is ZiTron Cobras. I was told by a seller than getting the HC power cord for a line conditioner is the way to go, although the components connected to the line conditioner where I would put the HC cord, are a preamp and a CD player. I'd thought another Alpha (non-digital, non HC) would be the next logical choice. Does anyone see the logic in getting an "HC" designated cord, instead of a regular Alpha analogue power cord (non HC) for the conditioner? The first cord will be on the CD player and then on the line conditioner and then the preamp.
I'm told Shunyata is coming out with two new levels of these cords in the future (whenever "future" is). I can assume that, logically, they will be more expensive than the Cobras, but that will likely not be the way for me to go. I once had a 'ne plus ultra' system, back in the 80s and 90s, and the burnout was extensive. This was when a top system could be had for $50k, which was what I had (TWO systems, in fact, and only one music room. One system was the 50k and the second was around $25k. You can now see why I adhere to 'this will do nicely,' based on psat experience. Nothing was ever good enough then. I had to have 3 amps: VTL, Goldmund Mimesis 9 and Aleph. Versa Dynamics 2.0 turntable, WATT/Puppies and Goldmund Super Dialogues, along with Avalons…all for the pursuit of the "IT" sound). I wasn't enjoying the music fully during that trip: I was an addict, pure and simple. Would not travel that path again, even were I a billionaire. The Buddhist belief in 'be happy with what you have' does not exist in Audiophile Land, but I lean towards past experience showing me that one needs to be happy with 'enough.' So, I'll stick with the Alphas and those with big, big…systems, can post their experiences.
Still, does anyone with an HC cord hear a major difference between it and the 'regular' Alpha cords?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The Alpha HC is an amazing PC so the advice is excellent. Now if you ask me what I use......I use Zitron Anaconda PC from wall to Triton. I do use the Alpha HC for my amps but do intend on upgrading to the newer lines as they come available. I also use Anaconda umbilicals on all 3 of my Typhon's

IIRC Shunyata now ships the Typhon with what I thought is an Alpha HC umbilical. I know that Caelin is very proud of that cable so I would assume future product releases will play on that HC as I would for the digital and analog versions

I can tell you that prior to using Shunyata PC's in my system I was very neutral in my opinion on any cable and was quite happy about what I had.........until I tried these. Not only can you hear audible changes in the burn in process but so also when going from Cobra to Python to Anaconda

The Alpha series IIRC employs filters for each of the digital, analog and HC. The HC is a double strand of cable whereas the digital and analog is a single strand so the Alpha HC is... 2x10 AWG Coincident Concentric Conductors

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
Good to know.

As it happens, after I posted here on Saturday afternoon, just on a whim, I put up 3 of my ZiTron Cobras for sale, and took off for New York the next day for a day trip and by the time I'd gotten home that night, someone bought the whole lot of 'em, and now they're on their way to someone else's home, so I can buy both the HC and a ZiTron analogue power cord, since I need to replace all 3, and the A digital cord arrives tomorrow.

Serendipity is a puzzling - but in this case, astonishing - thing! I expected it to take weeks to sell the original Cobras and it took a day! Somebody up there is hustling me into the new generation of Shunyata's cords. I'm pretty sure it's NOT my mother….She'd be saying, 'You paid HOW MUCH for those power cords?!? HOW MUCH?!?!?!?"

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I'm pretty sure it's NOT my mother….She'd be saying, 'You paid HOW MUCH for those power cords?!? HOW MUCH?!?!?!?"

Funny.
Glen, unless I'm mistaken, Mcbrion is not a Jewish surname. However, I'm wondering, is your mom Jewish, or perhaps its just that she has been speaking to MY mother recently since that's exactly what she would say!!! BTW, I stopped telling my mom years ago that any stereo equipment I own cost more than $50.
Marty

Drobidoux

May 17, 2014
Hello Russ,

Do you hear a good improvement with the Shunyata cable on your JL F113? I am wondering what I should be looking at in term of improvement .
Same thing with my Distributor....Am I gonna hear a good difference if I switch my Hydra Alpha distributor to a Triton?

Dan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing