Warm up time for LS27 and DS450

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I had these for the day to enjoy listening to (was mainly auditioning WA Duettes but asked dealer to bring these along as was curious due to reviews of the DSI200 that had really strange measurements) and was interesting in comparing to other products I have heard.
To clarify I spent a lot of time listening to the ARC gear on my own speakers to get a reference for their characteristic.

One thing that struck me is that I noticed the sound reached its optimum it seems after being on for about 1.5 hours, much more than other gear I have listened to.
Now not sure if it was the LS27 (more likely I assume) or the DS450, but definitely more than some doing serious auditioning may be able to give (would hope if listened to at dealer they would give a lengthy warmup).

Does this fit in with other's perception of the Audio Research and is it the pre or DS450 or both?
Anyway thought I would share the experience.

Cheers
Orb

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I find all gear sounds better after it has been on for a few hours at least. Before I go downstairs to listen to my system, I always hit "random" on the music server and let the system cook for a couple of hours before I come back to listen. And, I leave all of my SS gear on 24/7. When the day comes when my KSA-250 arrives back from Krell, I know I can't pull that stunt anymore.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Keep us informed on the KSA Mep, will be curious the warm-up time for it being optimum, I can appreciate that could be a few hours.
Just found it interesting a lot of the gear I listened to in the last several years seem to have a warm-up around 30-45mins.
But then that ties in with my looking at less heat radiating gear that was Class AB, or Class D.
I assume it is more than likely the hybrid ARC preamp is the delay rather than the DS450, but I swear from what I remember gear like Musical Fidelity warmed up with around 35 mins for their hybrid.
Shame I did not have more time to check it out.

Anyway looking forward to your writing on the KSA Mep, should be stunning item.

Cheers
Orb

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
ARC warm up time

I have the DS225 (the little brother to DS450) and I've found from changing power cords and having power interruptions that when my amp turns off even for a minute the magic disappears and I have to wait two days for the amp to flesh out again. At first, I could not get it, why several times my system was sounding off until I was warned by ARC service not to turn the thing off or it will in fact take days to come back. I have just ordered an LS27 and I'm hoping for a little more magic.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Interesting and thanks for the headsup up Vangelis, and welcome :)
Let us know how you get on with the LS27 and how it compares to your current preamp.

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing