Wadax vs. DS Audio? Which is more transformational? Anyone compare?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Fans of each of these brands are claiming (and working incessantly to convince others) that their choice of sound is a new "transformational" technology. Both camps are claiming that their favorite sounds "like tape".

Which is a more transformational technology - the Wadax approach to digital or DS Audio approach to analog?

Anyone compare these, or have a good handle on the sound of each ?

Reactions: infinitely baffled

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Multiple cans of worm waiting to spill. Pop corn at the ready.

Reactions: ICUToo

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
I don't see Wadax or DS fans say anything. I only see you are working incessantly to speak ill others.

That was jealousy talking. That's pity for you.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my friend Jonathan has the DS Audio Master 1 Reference for sale. he prefers his DaVa Reference head to head. i'm not saying which one is better....and he likes them both but has a preference. and likes that a DaVa can use a conventional phono stage.

you can buy a DS Audio Cartridge today. right now. you can't even order a new DaVa for 6 months they are so back ordered.

i've heard the DS Audio top level at a show, but not lived with it. i think i also would prefer the DaVa. and my Etsuro Gold cartridges too. so personally i don't see the DS Audio as doing things beyond other top level cartridges. it might do things differently...but not above or beyond. but it's very good and top level. just my take. YMMV.

i also own the DaVa Reference.........and the Wadax. i'd agree that the upside of the DaVa or DS Audio is higher in terms of musical rightness, but many other cartridges would also do that. OTOH the Wadax offers a whole world of music a click away. easy peasy. with clearly unique performance for digital.

so the way top level cartridges are transformational as a group, is a separate thing compared to how the Wadax is transformational. cases can be made about it.

would i use that word in either case? maybe not. but...owning both....from a particular point of view i think the Wadax comes closer to something new and different and game changing than any cartridge.....if i had to choose.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
my friend Jonathan has the DS Audio Master 1 Reference for sale. he prefers his DaVa Reference head to head. i'm not saying which one is better....and he likes them both but has a preference. and likes that a DaVa can use a conventional phono stage.

you can buy a DS Audio Cartridge today. right now. you can't even order a new DaVa for 6 months they are so back ordered.
DaVa is a one year queue plus he isn’t taking orders till May 2023.

i have heard the DS audio master in one of my visits on a pivot on the vyger next to an MSL (through Allnic 8000) on the linear tracker in summer, and the Tannoy Westminster system in LA heard this September had the lower model of DS audio. Also had heard the DS master in an apogee system pre pandemic.

apart from the fact that I like DaVa much better, the flexibility to use an external phono, plus the fact that there is no retail margin just makes the buying decision much easier. The 50k for a DS grand master has the retail margin plus lock in phono cost embedded in it. Plus, both are different sounding, the only similarity is that both have the highest resolution among carts

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing