Wadax Server PSU unit has now arrived

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
THe PSU and the Akasa DC reference power cable are now in my sound room. I just finished re-hooking up my gear after it returned today from Axpona. I will let it play and settle in over night and then begin to re-dial in the subs which we took to the show but never had time to set up. This is alwasy the part of the shows I like the least. UNpacking it all , re installing and hooking up and the clean up. We have a storage facility that the empty boxes, signs, containers and other stuff has to be takemn to so that we are not over crowded.
My whole system was shut off, unplugged and mostly disasembled so the slow work of tuning it begins a new. Shows are only the tip of the ice berg of the capabilities of a big system and to some extent pot luck with the rooms and many other factors.
This item interests the heck out of me as I truly want to understand and listen to what a super power supply can do with a already cool server. Ive waiting for a very long time.

Tonight its "let's go Rangers"

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
THe PSU and the Akasa DC reference power cable are now in my sound room. I just finished re-hooking up my gear after it returned today from Axpona. I will let it play and settle in over night and then begin to re-dial in the subs which we took to the show but never had time to set up. This is alwasy the part of the shows I like the least. UNpacking it all , re installing and hooking up and the clean up. We have a storage facility that the empty boxes, signs, containers and other stuff has to be takemn to so that we are not over crowded.
My whole system was shut off, unplugged and mostly disasembled so the slow work of tuning it begins a new. Shows are only the tip of the ice berg of the capabilities of a big system and to some extent pot luck with the rooms and many other factors.
This item interests the heck out of me as I truly want to understand and listen to what a super power supply can do with a already cool server. Ive waiting for a very long time.

Tonight its "let's go Rangers"
Rangers in 6

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Rangers in 6
they better play better than last night on Thursday. Very disappointing performance last night. Let's see what the PSU holds in store this afternoon :)

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Kraken!!!!

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
This morning I came to work had my coffee and decided to take an early visit to my temple of high end audio. The system has been running all night as it has just returned from the road trip back from Axpona.
I put on a few familiar pieces just to see where we are at and low and behold I had received a visit from my old friend Ho Lee Fuk.
Something has hap happ happened here. I definetly don't have my head around it yet as I am still sorting out the position of the subwoofers to get it perfect but this is a new frontier. Someone has come in the night and made my room bigger, the system be able to pay louder and the dynamics particularly the low level micro dynamics to give me goosebumps.
Leonard Bernstein and the NY Phil playing Rhapsody in Blue, Chuck Mangione doing the Children of Sanchez, Hilary Hahn playing Mercy and one of my all time favorites War doing the World is a Ghetto just smoked me.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
This morning I came to work had my coffee and decided to take an early visit to my temple of high end audio. The system has been running all night as it has just returned from the road trip back from Axpona.
I put on a few familiar pieces just to see where we are at and low and behold I had received a visit from my old friend Ho Lee Fuk.
Something has hap happ happened here. I definetly don't have my head around it yet as I am still sorting out the position of the subwoofers to get it perfect but this is a new frontier. Someone has come in the night and made my room bigger, the system be able to pay louder and the dynamics particularly the low level micro dynamics to give me goosebumps.
Leonard Bernstein and the NY Phil playing Rhapsody in Blue, Chuck Mangione doing the Children of Sanchez, Hilary Hahn playing Mercy and one of my all time favorites War doing the World is a Ghetto just smoked me.
Sounds intriguing, Elliot. I suppose that greater dynamics and a larger soundstage (and I suppose better separation) might be expected from a new dedicated and very sophisticated power supply. Very curious to hear however from you whether the new PSU makes the sound also more continuous, fluent, less mechanical, etc. So apart from the technical advances, does it make the music sound more ‘real’?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Sounds intriguing, Elliot. I suppose that greater dynamics and a larger soundstage (and I suppose better separation) might be expect from a new dedicated and very sophisticated power supply. Very curious to hear however from you whether the new PSU makes the sound also more continuous, fluent, less mechanic., etc. So apart from the technical advances, does it make the music sound more ‘real’?
Wadax doesnt sound mechanical to begin with and the ability to hear more, and feel the music, the emotion. the soul of the artists is what is important. The power supply has improved the experience for sure as to what I really want to say that will take a while to I get a handle on it and see where I can push the system to newer MORE areas.
I am thrllled so far and am about to go listen again .

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
For as long as I can remember the improvements in sound ( in electronics) seemed to always have something to do with improved power supplies. When I was first introduced to High End Audio it was Bill Johnson always improving the power supplies of the ARC gear and that theme seemed to carry foward with just about every company that I can remember. It seems to still be true today as the major jumps from companies like CH and Wadax have produced better and larger power supplies so did the SG improve.
The PSU is no exception to my limited findings as now that the system has settled in and I have the subwoofers in their ( maybe) final resting spot I am thrilled at the results.
I don't claim to be a writer nor have the exact words to discribe what I am experiencing but I will take a sh ot at expressing what I am listening to Instruments are almost visible, they are fully flushed, correct size ( if they are recorded that way) and the spaces between the music are ever present. Laurindo Alemeida and his guitar are earily close and when Ray Brown comes in with his bowed double bass one quickly forgets this is a recording and just become entralled with the feeling and sound. When I play Juya Wang and the American Project " You come here often? for piano solo it sounds like the concerts I sponsored and was able to sit 10 feet in front of the artists and the concert grand pianos. Hilary Hahn " Mercy" is so freeking beautiful it brings goosebumps. AL Di Meola and Mediterranean Sundance is thrilling and wonderful the parts all lined up and in the proper space and place to make you just become one with the chair and enjoy. It is like a meditative state, a transportation device to anywhere and everywhere. No I am not stoned. When I look back at my trip with digital from the original Sony CD players that looked cool and sounded like crap to what I have now it seems improbable and impossible. It wasn't the recordings it was always the hardware.

Reactions: dbeau

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
image.jpg

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
image.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
For as long as I can remember the improvements in sound ( in electronics) seemed to always have something to do with improved power supplies. When I was first introduced to High End Audio it was Bill Johnson always improving the power supplies of the ARC gear and that theme seemed to carry foward with just about every company that I can remember. It seems to still be true today as the major jumps from companies like CH and Wadax have produced better and larger power supplies so did the SG improve.
The PSU is no exception to my limited findings as now that the system has settled in and I have the subwoofers in their ( maybe) final resting spot I am thrilled at the results.
I don't claim to be a writer nor have the exact words to discribe what I am experiencing but I will take a sh ot at expressing what I am listening to Instruments are almost visible, they are fully flushed, correct size ( if they are recorded that way) and the spaces between the music are ever present. Laurindo Alemeida and his guitar are earily close and when Ray Brown comes in with his bowed double bass one quickly forgets this is a recording and just become entralled with the feeling and sound. When I play Juya Wang and the American Project " You come here often? for piano solo it sounds like the concerts I sponsored and was able to sit 10 feet in front of the artists and the concert grand pianos. Hilary Hahn " Mercy" is so freeking beautiful it brings goosebumps. AL Di Meola and Mediterranean Sundance is thrilling and wonderful the parts all lined up and in the proper space and place to make you just become one with the chair and enjoy. It is like a meditative state, a transportation device to anywhere and everywhere. No I am not stoned. When I look back at my trip with digital from the original Sony CD players that looked cool and sounded like crap to what I have now it seems improbable and impossible. It wasn't the recordings it was always the hardware.
Elliot, exciting to read about.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I think I have them in thier final resting place and we will give it a good workout today and see where the system is at after playing for a few days and settling in after the trip back. I find it a challenge each time I set it back up to take it further if possible. This time I have added a new pieceof the puzzle and It will allow me to go where I have not been previously. This to me is already obvious, now its time to push my envelope and see where it takes me. If it soundslike fun it is, especially since all the heavy lifting and clean up is behind me. High End audio is not for the weak or the lazy LOL

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Well its finally Friday and the system has been on for afew days and has nicely settled in. I didn't get much sleep lastnight and was in a crappy mood today . I decided to go listen for a while and give myself some therapy. Muisc can do that for me almost anytime and everytime. I wanted to relax and just have some fun so I decided to play something that I have been listening to a little bit in my car. I have come to really like Zac Brown and the album the Comback is IMO a great record and I love all the songs so I went to find it on Qobuz to play in my room and found a "deluxe" version. I guess the deluxe is they recorded some of the songs again with some special guests and it sounds damn good ( if you like to rock a bit and especially like to rock it loud a little). I after a few minutes was in a much better mood. I was about to leave after listeing to the whole album but something caught my eye and I had to try it.
I came accross the MTV Unplugged album by Bastille and tried it out. Its almost great!in spots its amazing. Try Killing me Softly and Pompeii for sure are wonderful and very very live sounding.
After stopping I was thinking about what I just heard and i really feel like the foundation of my room has been reinforced. The solidity of the sound and the foundation from which it rests upon is really special. Thats really the words that come to mind.Its solidity, its singularity and its feeling of something whole like live music does for me. High Fi mostly sounds like pieces and parts and most systems and speakers are just that "parts"of an incomplete puzzle, a puzzle that usually wont be or cant be completed. Maybe I am waxing to philosophically maybe I am crazy but this is the feeling that I am left with since coming home and reestablishing my system and my room. Audio shows always make me feel like I failed, that I failed again to get to the place that I want to show, its impossible I think but it doesnt make me feel better about not getting it done.
I think the PSU has done something that brings it all together, that "grounds it" and makes it whole.Foundation is the word that I keep thinking off and maybe for the first time I have found it.

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
Elliot, You sound truly inspired by the music and the state of your system- that’s what we’re all after. Good for you!

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Elliot, You sound truly inspired by the music and the state of your system- that’s what we’re all after. Good for you!
I am first and foremost a lover of music. I listen almost every day. I listen to all kinds of music. I am not interested in comparing gear that is not my thing, I have too at times but it’s not what i am into.
My system now is really fun and involving in a way that it never has before. That excites me and I can enjoy.
Thank you btw!

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Im back from the show and I had to return the borrowed power supply before I left. BAD NEWS.
However I am back now and I have received my power supply unit which we installed this morning and I can smile again. I didnt miss it too much since I was out of the country but now that I am back I can immediately hear what the PS is doing and its doing very good.
THe supply and Akasa power cable are bringing the system and the over SG to another plateau.
More to say after I have it run a day or two more

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Very curious to hear however from you whether the new PSU makes the sound also more continuous, fluent, less mechanical, etc. So apart from the technical advances, does it make the music sound more ‘real’?
As I said AC I dont believe that the wadx sounds mechanical however with the PSU there is a solidity to the foundation in my system and a continous singularity to the sound that is infectious and just makes you not want to leave. My system has been very enjoyable for a while and this addition has just made me smile and enjoy it even more.
I continue finding more music that I love and that to me is the ultimate goal.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
As I said AC I dont believe that the wadx sounds mechanical however with the PSU there is a solidity to the foundation in my system and a continous singularity to the sound that is infectious and just makes you not want to leave. My system has been very enjoyable for a while and this addition has just made me smile and enjoy it even more.
I continue finding more music that I love and that to me is the ultimate goal.
Thanks Elliot. If the Wadax reference dac had sounded mechanical to me I would never have bought it in the first place. So my question to you was not intended to imply a mechanical Wadax reference dac sound. However, and while I (strongly) believe that digital with the Wadax reference dac and with top notch (Tripoint Audio) grounding - to my ears anyway and of course in my audio system - sounds in certain parameters better than analog (in particular the low end), analog sounds imho still ‘better’ as regards an aspect like fluidity: in a certain way analog sounds more ‘natural’ than digital to me and that is what I tried to put into words when I used the phrase ‘less mechanical’. So with my question I intended to ask you the following: yes, a dedicated power supply will of course provide a more solid foundation, greater dynamics, better separation, a larger soundstage etc. but does it also provide more fluidity, that is a more natural (or in my words a less mechanical) presentation, that is a sound which comes closer to unamplified live music?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing