Wadax Reference Server

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Good one! However, I can understand calling the Wadax a lot of things, but "designed to disappear" it is not, at least visually.
BTW I think the 468 is gorgeous.
PS to Elliot- the Lampi doesn't count in any conversation about the visual merits of audio gear due to it's lack of uniqueness.. It doesn't distinguish itself visually from countless other pieces of tube gear!
PS to Marty , we all have different opinions about looks. We may all go to the same strip club but I can rest assured we all wont pick the same girl LOL

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
and oh yes the Lampi is just butt ugly and looks like something thrown together DIY

Reactions: Lagonda

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Mercifully, I have no dog in this hunt, er, DAC comparison.

Personally, I think Wadax looks wacky in somehow an organic way. Lampizator looks to me like a contemporary version of 1950s Russian laboratory equipment. MSB looks to me very contemporary -- but I find unlabeled buttons and knobs to be annoying.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
for me it is more of a modern version of a fireplace clock. ok a bit weird from the design, but you set yourself apart from the rest of the manufacturers .new ways in design are always laughed at first later they are cult objects
1230a84f2733c13009e2ba99f1665b1d.jpg D4bBDi2WsAELT0E.jpg

Reactions: tima

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think it looks nice / well made .
A bit of bling bling why not , its about succeeding in the high end
Most is designed to sell well in the asian market i reckon .
They have people talking about the gear , i d say mission accomplished :)
1640808364214.png

Reactions: Elliot G.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
for me it is more of a modern version of a fireplace clock. ok a bit weird from the design, but you set yourself apart from the rest of the manufacturers.

And pretty much everything else in the known aesthetic universe.

new ways in design are always laughed at first later they are cult objects

I realize some things may not be appreciated until later in history - look at Beethoven's later string quartets. But counting on potential cult status does not strike me as a viable marketing strategy - the road to the future will be paved with recycled appliances. :)

Reactions: DasguteOhr

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's hardly more fussy than the Vyger or more appropriately, the AF0. I don't see many saying these are fridges in waiting.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
PS to Marty , we all have different opinions about looks. We may all go to the same strip club but I can rest assured we all wont pick the same girl LOL
Elliot, you mean the girls are different? You could have fooled me.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Man that Allard Safari would make a sick cal-style surf wagon custom ;) .

Too desirable to use as one though. Dung beetle would be just as hard to keep parked in SoCal.

The interesting gambit would be an ultra modern electric vehicle with a face like this server. ;)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
And pretty much everything else in the known aesthetic universe.

I realize some things may not be appreciated until later in history - look at Beethoven's later string quartets. But counting on potential cult status does not strike me as a viable marketing strategy - the road to the future will be paved with recycled appliances. :)
For the manufacturer, it's about the recognition value of its products, for the buyer at some point of cult status.
There is no better advertising ,when a design is polarized and there is a lot of public discussion about it.;)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my guess about the industrial design of the Wadax is that they approached the design as a clean sheet of paper, made the best possible skeleton chassis for performance and modularity for future proofing, then did the look and feel serving that performance without compromising any technical issue. form follows function. others start with a design form factor, and back into the technical design. i prefer the Wadax approach and priorities. it's as uncompromised as possible. like my approach to my system. sleek and elegant is ok, but not if it has a performance cost. at least to me.

i say bravo, it's a Home Run, they hit it out of the park. please Wadax, stay true to that ethos and it will serve you well. love it, or hate it, it's leading, not following.

from Alberto Ochoa, Wadax industrial designer and sculptor....

“We created a sculptural concept made of 3 elements that connect visually as a whole, while flowing as a single entity. Its unique design lines combine power, accuracy and aesthetics, ressembling the unique musical properties of Reference DAC to bind a pure emotional connection with the listener. The consistency of this value proposition is complemented with a fully modular and upgradeable system.”
“This achievement implied a specific choice of aircraft grade alloys and extreme machining accuracy. Due to this, all parts are milled from solid blocks. 5 different and specific alloys are used and more than 320Kg of alloy is the starting point for the production of the chassis. The whole assembly of the chassis must be done by a single highly skilled artisan and involves over 100 hours.”
“A fussion of beauty and performance. Artisan work and State of the Art digital manufacturing techniques. A unique timeless techno-sculptural piece.”

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
For the manufacturer, it's about the recognition value of its products, for the buyer at some point of cult status.
There is no better advertising ,when a design is polarized and there is a lot of public discussion about it.;)

Perhaps - it does have a 'look at me' character as if it wants to draw attention to itself. Purple hair with lots of metal in its face. I don't use this type of audio device. For all I know maybe it is built like a tank and carries the very soul of Mozart within in its design, but I see no artisanal timelessness - to me it is just another blingy object in a modern world full of blingy objects whose outward appearance is all I'll ever know of it. Put a bag over it. That is not a comment about the people who own it or lust for it or make it or sell it. I shouldn't even be in this thread. ;)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Congratulation to the Wadax and Audio Exotics team. Great job.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Without going into evaluating the aesthetics of the Reference series, I would say that of the three (Arcadia, Atlantis, Reference) all designed by Estudio Ochoa and Diaz Llanos, the one I like the most (and by far) is Atlantis.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Sa683s

Jun 26, 2017
Style & sound can be very personal, but those taobao buttons , I cannot link with the word "High end"

Reactions: AndrewChen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing