Vyger Atlantis - my new turntable :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Chau, this seems to be your first analog set up, so obviously you want to consider if you are ok with only one tonearm, or if you need more. Else be prepared to buy another TT, maybe even two Vygers :confused:

The other thing, that having heard Bill's and the General's set ups, if I had the money I would buy two Vygers or one Vyger and one other TT, but irrespective, I would first put my money in the General's vinyl, the type that Bill is also collecting, and only then upgrade the TT. Since you are a musician, you will be really interested in some of the high quality vinyl performances they have, not only from the usual big names on Decca and HMV and Columbia, but many others.

Of course, if you are in a position to do both like Bill did, that's great. My own personal view of how much I want to spend on gear vs how much on recordings changed a lot over the last few months.

Chau

Feb 20, 2018
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Chau

Feb 20, 2018
Chau, this seems to be your first analog set up, so obviously you want to consider if you are ok with only one tonearm, or if you need more. Else be prepared to buy another TT, maybe even two Vygers :confused:

The other thing, that having heard Bill's and the General's set ups, if I had the money I would buy two Vygers or one Vyger and one other TT, but irrespective, I would first put my money in the General's vinyl, the type that Bill is also collecting, and only then upgrade the TT. Since you are a musician, you will be really interested in some of the high quality vinyl performances they have, not only from the usual big names on Decca and HMV and Columbia, but many others.

Of course, if you are in a position to do both like Bill did, that's great. My own personal view of how much I want to spend on gear vs how much on recordings changed a lot over the last few months.
Dear Bonzo75, thank you so much for pointing those important things out. I did think of the tone arm limit in Vyger. But I am a woman. It’s so hard to get one rig this complicated already and as a woman I tighten my budget (not like men who are weak at hearts when it’s about new sweet turntables they must possess , they can’t have more than one wife so they have more TT, cartridge, tone arms, you name it :). I will have one setup only. One tone arm one cartridge which I plan to be Opus 1 like Gian and Khun Tang have.

For vinyls , actually is the biggest problem for me, living in VN. So hard and so expensive to buy good vinyls. But I am trying to buy mainly from Analog Productions and discogs. I saw how amazingly the system sings when a good recording album is played. I will never be able to get what you Gentlemen can find in the UK, Italy, USA. I truly, badly envy your ability to grab those wonderful copies much easier and cheaper than I could.

Sometimes I wonder if it is bad luck to have difficult ears that require high quality sound like this. Cost so much and so hard work, head aching decisions, risks, and again, cost :)

Cheers, Chau

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Chau, don't let anyone tell you that you need more than one tt/arm/cart.
I mean some audiophiles don't even have one tt.
I would say LOL, but I remain too mystified to do so.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Btw, you cannot go wrong re Vyger, even w the caveat of only one arm.
Like Ked and Bill, I've heard it too, and it's a true "end game" purchase.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Dear Bonzo75, thank you so much for pointing those important things out. I did think of the tone arm limit in Vyger. But I am a woman. It’s so hard to get one rig this complicated already and as a woman I tighten my budget (not like men who are weak at hearts when it’s about new sweet turntables they must possess , they can’t have more than one wife so they have more TT, cartridge, tone arms, you name it :). I will have one setup only. One tone arm one cartridge which I plan to be Opus 1 like Gian and Khun Tang have.

For vinyls , actually is the biggest problem for me, living in VN. So hard and so expensive to buy good vinyls. But I am trying to buy mainly from Analog Productions and discogs. I saw how amazingly the system sings when a good recording album is played. I will never be able to get what you Gentlemen can find in the UK, Italy, USA. I truly, badly envy your ability to grab those wonderful copies much easier and cheaper than I could.

Sometimes I wonder if it is bad luck to have difficult ears that require high quality sound like this. Cost so much and so hard work, head aching decisions, risks, and again, cost :)

Cheers, Chau

Hi Chau,

PM the Zerostargeneral - he will be able to assist you with assembling your vinyl collection and am sure happy ship to you. He has some big customers in the Far East. His knowledge is very deep across many genres so not just a classical one trick pony (if there is such a thing :)

I totally get your 1 tonearm decision. I personally also see this as the way forward for me also.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It’s so hard to get one rig this complicated already and as a woman I tighten my budget (not like men who are weak at hearts when it’s about new sweet turntables they must possess , they can’t have more than one wife so they have more TT, cartridge, tone arms, you name it :).

For vinyls , actually is the biggest problem for me, living in VN. So hard and so expensive to buy good vinyls. But I am trying to buy mainly from Analog Productions and discogs.

Cheers, Chau

I think you have summarized Gian and Khun Tang well :)

Just my perspective - I wouldn't buy from AP. My AP, classic records, and speakers corner got chewed up and humiliated by the General's originals. His originals are better than my originals. Silly expensive though, so from that perspective classic records type reissues are decent. You can also find hidden cheaper original treasures

If you have the budget, by all means buy the Vyger, Opus, Decca type originals, etc

Else, I am now only collating vinyl, my gear budget has dropped in favor of vinyl software, and instead of Opus I would get a cheaper stereo cartridge and a mono cart. Opus in Gian's system was excellent, but there are many good cheaper carts.

I see you have Vitus, which is one of my favorite SS amps. Rhapsody runs the Magico with Vitus and that is the best Magico sound I think. If you want to listen to a good Vitus set up where digital sounds as good analog, visit Jazzhead in Mumbai. And to listen to Vyger with original vinyls, it's a few minutes from Heathrow. You can stop there on the way to listen to Gian's Vyger

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Chau,

PM the Zerostargeneral - he will be able to assist you with assembling your vinyl collection and am sure happy ship to you. He has some big customers in the Far East. His knowledge is very deep across many genres so not just a classical one trick pony (if there is such a thing :)

I totally get your 1 tonearm decision. I personally also see this as the way forward for me also.

I don't see this as the way forward for you. At some point you will go agro and buy another rig to add an arm. Or two Vygers

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I don't see this as the way forward for you. At some point you will go agro and buy another rig to add an arm. Or two Vygers

Lol. I hope not or else I’ll end up with a divorce.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe Chau is bad into Feng Shui, if this tells her to have two Vygers, well...

Chau

Feb 20, 2018
Btw, you cannot go wrong re Vyger, even w the caveat of only one arm. don't let anyone tell you that you need more than one tt/arm/cart.
Like Ked and Bill, I've heard it too, and it's a true "end game" purchase.

Hi Spiritofmusic,

Thank you very much for encouraging me with my decision making procedure :) I wish I could afford to have more arms, cart, TT so I could cover all the sound characters I love to have in my system.

Gentlemen, please do correct me if I am wrong, because I base my judgement only via listening to the video clips (which is far not the best way to judge the sound character) that Gian sent me. I love all the best features of Vyger, beside the look, its openness, dynamic, full body, so airy that made me "Wow". But I also feel like Vyger reproduce a "larger than life" kind of sounds. The bass is amazing but it is heavier than the real sound of the recording. I totally might be wrong, because its from iphone videos and I used my headphones to listen. Without a doubt, all the best sound characters of Vyger would still make me want to own it, despite of what I think it's lacking. Because I know even with more expensive TT, we would still feel like something is missing. This is why many audiophiles have few TT, few cart and arms... I guess, to cover every sound characters/ quality they would like to listen to.

Cheers, Chau

Chau

Feb 20, 2018
Hi Chau,

Dear Bill,

Thank you very much for this great info about the Zerostargeneral. I will PM him for sure. It will be so hard, Bill, to try to stick to one arm, one cart., one TT because we would always wish to have something else in the sound :) But you and I will try to be TOUGH, ok?

Chau

Feb 20, 2018
I think you have summarized Gian and Khun Tang well :)

Just my perspective - I wouldn't buy from AP. My AP, classic records, and speakers corner got chewed up and humiliated by the General's originals. His originals are better than my originals. Silly expensive though, so from that perspective classic records type reissues are decent. You can also find hidden cheaper original treasures

If you have the budget, by all means buy the Vyger, Opus, Decca type originals, etc

Else, I am now only collating vinyl, my gear budget has dropped in favor of vinyl software, and instead of Opus I would get a cheaper stereo cartridge and a mono cart. Opus in Gian's system was excellent, but there are many good cheaper carts.

I see you have Vitus, which is one of my favorite SS amps. Rhapsody runs the Magico with Vitus and that is the best Magico sound I think. If you want to listen to a good Vitus set up where digital sounds as good analog, visit Jazzhead in Mumbai. And to listen to Vyger with original vinyls, it's a few minutes from Heathrow. You can stop there on the way to listen to Gian's Vyger

Haha, I wonder if Gian and Khun Tang are itchy right now because we are talking behind their backs ;-) But no, I know so many audiophiles with few TT, cart, arms... so I am sure this is very normal, when we can afford, so we can fulfil every wish for the sound quality.
Thanks for the tip about the AP, Bonzo. Its such a bad thing to buy all the vinyls before I even own a TT :) Simply can't test anything. I take notes of your tips for vinyl purchase.
I can only afford one cart, so that was why I plan to go for either GFS or Opus. But with Vyger definitely I think my system would prefer Opus. I love the sound of mono vinyls, but Oh my God, if I continue I would have to really buy another TT, not Vyger and then I'd join Gian and Khun Tang for being a collector ;-) I can't afford so i wipe my tears for the mono.

Yes, my system sounds quite good for its price, I love Vitus together with Magico. I won't look further. I would have loved to get the chance to listen at the famous General's place (i read so much about this gentleman but he is not a member here, right?) and Gian's place. I should start to buy lottery tickets or look for a rich husband :) for those great sounding vinyls.

Cheers, Chau

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Good morning Chau,

I find tt with heavy mass give more solid control sound with confident inspiring bass. The Atlantis certainly has mass. I never heard the Vyger but I trust Gian’s ears...not much Bonzo’s :p. One thing though, this Airbearing tt with its tangential arm seems complicated to me. More complications mean more chance of thing goes wrong. And tts do break down. You are buying direct and not living in Italy. So prepare for consequences after you purchase it.

Sincerely yours,
Tang

Chau

Feb 20, 2018
Good morning Chau,

I find tt with heavy mass give more solid control sound with confident inspiring bass. The Atlantis certainly has mass. I never heard the Vyger but I trust Gian’s ears...not much Bonzo’s :p. One thing though, this Airbearing tt with its tangential arm seems complicated to me. More complications mean more chance of thing goes wrong. And tts do break down. You are buying direct and not living in Italy. So prepare for consequences after you purchase it.

Sincerely yours,
Tang

Dear Khun Tang,

You have been always a very precious part of my learning journey. Thank you for chiming in for this point, which is aching me, too: the complication of air pump, air bearing which no one knows how to help me in VN. And the fact there is no local distributor. I was thinking a lot about it... I am on my own with Vyger :) I saw a pix of an old Vyger for sale that looks like a junk because of the broken air pump, which put me back big time..., for a while.

But I really don't find myself happy with other TT at the same price range. So finally I still think I should be brave and bald, to make the bank wire and accept the consequences. Since the new IV generation from 2015 I haven't found news about Vyger TT to be broken, so, knock on wood, for Vyger, for Gian, for Bill, the General and maybe, for me, too :)

Thank you Khun Tang.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Haha, I wonder if Gian and Khun Tang are itchy right now because we are talking behind their backs ;-) But no, I know so many audiophiles with few TT, cart, arms... so I am sure this is very normal, when we can afford, so we can fulfil every wish for the sound quality.
Thanks for the tip about the AP, Bonzo. Its such a bad thing to buy all the vinyls before I even own a TT :) Simply can't test anything. I take notes of your tips for vinyl purchase.
I can only afford one cart, so that was why I plan to go for either GFS or Opus. But with Vyger definitely I think my system would prefer Opus. I love the sound of mono vinyls, but Oh my God, if I continue I would have to really buy another TT, not Vyger and then I'd join Gian and Khun Tang for being a collector ;-) I can't afford so i wipe my tears for the mono.

Yes, my system sounds quite good for its price, I love Vitus together with Magico. I won't look further. I would have loved to get the chance to listen at the famous General's place (i read so much about this gentleman but he is not a member here, right?) and Gian's place. I should start to buy lottery tickets or look for a rich husband :) for those great sounding vinyls.

Cheers, Chau

Chau, It is none of my business really, but if it were me, before I allocated the funds necessary for a second turntable, arm and cartridge, especially one at the level of the Vyger, I would upgrade from the S5 MKII to the M3. I actually like having one turntable/arm/cartridge. I would trade variety, or the ability to have different sounds, for a higher quality sound, within a given budget. But that is just me. I fully understand why others like multiple formats and variety within a format. Enjoy your vinyl journey.

Chau

Feb 20, 2018
Chau, It is none of my business really, but if it were me, before I allocated the funds necessary for a second turntable, arm and cartridge, especially one at the level of the Vyger, I would upgrade from the S5 MKII to the M3. I actually like having one turntable/arm/cartridge. I would trade variety, or the ability to have different sounds, for a higher quality sound, within a given budget. But that is just me. I fully understand why others like multiple formats and variety within a format. Enjoy your vinyl journey.

Hi PeterA,

Thank you for your input. I have debated about the M3 since last August after I’ve listened to it at Hongkong Hi end show. I really really was so close to pull the trigger. But upgrading to M3 would require upgrading to Vitus Monoblocks or buying one more SS103 and I can’t cope up with all the cost. And having analog rig is essential for me, I also planned to steer away from analog at first, for all the pblm obviously everyone knows and costs and frustrations of vinyl quality and maintenance compares to the ease of digital. And I finally still have to decide I must have analog. That’s why I continue looking at the M3 with my wet eyes :)

As soon as the lottery company calls me for the grand prize, I’d take the M6 :)

Kind regards, Chau

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Cheers, Chau

By general I mean zerostargeneral http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...tations-to-all&p=505350&viewfull=1#post505350

The AP are good, and classic records, AP etc I would buy in the absence of good originals. The latter is an expensive hobby. For example my classic records Henryk Szeryng Lalo symphonie espagnole sounds better than my Decca ED2 Ricci and better than my Szeryng ED2 living stereo. But the General's Szeryng ED1 is so much better than my classic records. Money and research wise the classic records Szeryng is a no brainer.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Chau,

I haven’t noticed too much bass in the systems that I regularly hear (mine and General’s) with the Vyger in play. The bass certainly goes deeper (a lot deeper than my SME30/2) but importantly it is full of musical content - this latter part is the key to this.

You can always tailor this parameter somewhat using loading on the phonostage and speaker positioning if you want to fine tune.

On a somewhat controversial point, I don’t see myself returning to tangential arms after using the Vyger solution.

Cheers

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Good morning Chau,

Sincerely yours,
Tang

They don't have to break. My TT is more than 30 years old and works like new.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing