VPI Prime Sig VTA Settings

Joe Fedenecz

Dec 17, 2019
Philly
Hi folks, seasons greetings. I'm new here and I would like some feedback on vta settings. What should I be listening for when I make adjustments? Also I have been hearing some distortion on the inner grooves of some records, especially on vocals. My turntable was set up by the folks who sold it to me but I have concerns. Thanks. Joe.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
There are quite a few threads on the topic so be sure and read through them. VTA is really important but table calibration includes starting with solid setup geometry too. Also it would be good to mention what cartridge you have when asking for opinions on your setup. And if the components are all new or if bought used.

When the VTA is "far" from dialed in, somewhat large changes of the tonearm up/down can conform to the overly simplistic "up for treble down for bass" idea. However when you are closer to finding the ideal position smaller changes can get you to a place where "everything" locks in, gets better, more natural etc.

Even with experience this can take some time, but if you are new this will take patience.

Lastly my advice is to not worry about changing vta for different record thicknesses...at least not until you gain more setup experience.

Joe Fedenecz

Dec 17, 2019
Philly
Thank you for responding Erik. My cartridge is a Soundsmith " The Voice". I will be upgrading the arm to a VPI Fatboy and will then experiment with VTA settings. I have been setting it at 0 and adjusting minutely never going past 2 but I don't know what I should be listening for, soundstage or bass. Trying to trust my ears I guess. Thanks again.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Does 'zero' equal arm parallel with record surface when lowered so cart is resting in the groove?

Joe Fedenecz

Dec 17, 2019
Philly
Thanks for the response. I use no anti-skate as I was told that twisting the cable from the arm to the junction box meant it was not needed. Make sense?

Fedie

Jan 19, 2020
The arm should be parallel to the record, listen to it that way first then adjust vta I up or down in small increments if you like.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
The VPI VTA tower has so much free play and slack tolerances, that will not allow any precision adjustment. The whole construction is so poorly implemented, that returning to the previous state is impossible. I have seen that a repeated VTA change, will cause a random (not repeatable) alteration of the effective length, azimuth and VTF.
this applies to all VPI models including the new Fatboy versions. There is a long discussion at VPI forums for this issue, which can only be partly cured with the introduction of metal rings underneath the VTA tower and a screw under the Tonearm’s pivot, which eliminates then, the VTA adjustment.

i have spent so many hours on this matter and had to get rid of both (gimbal and unipivot )fatboys at the end.

also the twisted cable for Antiskating, is another wrong VPI claim (like the 14” Tonearm with no offset, based on an Italian Maths ) all Tonearms are in need of a antiskating and the lemo cannot provide it.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing