Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keep trying Dave.
To try is to succeed.
Did you have an easier journey back to Wales than getting to me?

gilles13

Dec 17, 2015
south of France
Hi Bonzo75

I was giving this some thought and though I do know of any specific examples apart from SME (which is completely atypical) However there is a forum called Hi Fi Wigwam which hosts vintage audio enthusiasts and I am sure that someone there will be able to help you. These guys are serious about their vintage kit and very keen to spread the gospel.

The SME example I used is not a good one because they have been heavily modified (much to Peter Walker’s disgust) to the point where Alastair Robertson-Aikman had heavy duty steel frames made in his factory. The system is also unique in that it uses Krell Master Reference Amplifiers. These things are 1000w per channel, date from 1974 and only 6 pairs were ever made. The price in 1974 was $100,000 per pair. Krell tried to convince ARA to take their new flagship models later but when he tried them he concluded that they were not as good as the ones he had. When he told Krell of his finding their response was to say that “We have to make a living”. In other words they were no longer making them to the quality that that had previously.

I will be interested to learn if you have a luck through Hi Fi Wigwam.

Kind regards

David

Following a picture from hifi choice the quad were not stacked.
2 were facing the listener and the other two were outside with 90 degrees angle.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, it took me 5 hours to get home from User211 in the West.

Good thing his Apogees were so impressive, thinking about them made the time fly by.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Beautiful place you have there Marc. Just gorgeous

Always nice to put a face to the profile too :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I know quite a few of the guys out there in WBF-Land took a real interest in Ron’s thread about my system and move to the chapel.

Post #7 had a photo of me and Ra, and Ra’s adorable Tabby cat, Razz (aka RazzBoy, aka RazzMundo, aka Azrael).

Razz has taken a bit of a turn for the worse as he’s got a bit older, a pretty serious oesophageal constriction which has meant he hasn’t been able to keep any food down at all, and necessitated an op to open up this restriction.

The good news is he’s making tentative signs of early recovery (eating without vomiting up food), but one downside is he has lost his sight, apparently a common side effect in cats of general anaesthetics.

The vet says this is likely temporary, but it’s all a waiting game.

I know that if there’s one thing committed audiophiles can feel even more strongly about than their gear, it’s their pets. Hence relaying here about poor Razz.

Ironically, ANOTHER reason for me to have scaled back spending on audio, it’s hard to splash out on gear AND find £4.5k for the vet’s bill .

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Ye gods, that's a big bill
I hope your little monkey recovers.
On a side note, i find the best loved pets tend to have many names ?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, that’s a worst case scenario, he likely will need 2 ops maximum.

I tend to look at the finances less in terms of £s, and more in multiples of tweaks spend LOL.

I mean I’ve spent this sum many times over on tubes, cables, supports etc. I can hardly deny the little troublemaker this outlay when I don’t even blink at spending in this hobby.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thanks Ron, but not as simple as that.

He may need multiple ops, he may need to be fed nutrient-enriched Cat Pâté and Cat Milk for the rest of his days. We’ll know in the next week as the practice tries to feed him/decides on follow-up op.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow no NHS for cats? Wish him a quick recovery

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thanks Ked.

There is an NHS for cats, we’re talking rescue cats helped by the RSPCA, and put down if no one picks them in 30 days .

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
He will tune in thru the æther .

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’ll check that out later .

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Just please, please don't make "Music For Cats In Heat".

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
CJ, when Raz was born, his “bits” were well hidden, the vet thought he was a girl.
Only on rummaging around was it established he was indeed a “he”.
And then his bits got the chop anyway .
Thank the Lord there was no LGBTTY lobby then, he’d have felt extremely special.
As opposed to just confused and philosophical.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing