Vinyl Rips: Where analog meets digital and what can they tell us?

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
There is a very simple 40 Hz ultrasonic cleaner being made in Aust atm, in test production stage as I type, with a separate quiet drying unit to be added shortly. The motor turns the record at 1 rpm, and uses filtered water, 1/2 cup iso alcohol and a wetting agent. Of course I would add some TTVJ Vinyl Zyme Gold for my older records.

I have ordered a test production unit, at A$1000 or US$700. Which appeals to me more than A$6500 for a KLA.

post-151965-145700296714.jpg

The KLA that blew a fuse is off to Korea for repair. As FF alluded to, in Australia, you just wait for the repair to be carried out.

caesar

May 30, 2010
There has been some discussion lately about listening to vinyl rips through the latest generation of DACs. The idea is that the newest DACs are so transparent to the source that listeners cannot actually distinguish between the digital replay of the vinyl and the original vinyl itself. For the moment, and for the sake of argument, let us assume that this is the case.

Ideally, and in theory, the vinyl rip, or perfect digital copy, is played through a transparent digital source in a system. We can now hear the sound of certain combinations of cartridges/arms/turntables/phono cables/phono stages without physically having the gear in our system. This would seem to be a great tool for evaluating the sound of analog components.

We assume that a vinyl rip tells us what the gear used for the rip would sound like in our system and room context. However, we cannot also make assumptions about how the same gear sounds in the original system in which it is actually located. That system has different amps, speakers, and cables, and it is in a completely different room than ours. So we should conclude that the vinyl rip sounds different in our system than the actual LP sounds in the other system.

I was reminded of this today when I heard a vinyl rip in an extremely transparent system with one of the latest DACs. The rip sounded unconvincing. I do not really know why, but the voice was completely different from how this singer usually sounds. The pitch was off as though the turntable used for the ripping was being played at too high a speed. Strange. I wonder how different it sounds in the original system in which it was ripped or why it really sounded like this. Perhaps it was up sampling in the replay chain. I really can't say.

Furthermore, as technology improves, ADCs get upgraded and the vinyl rips will sound better. DACs continue to improve also. So how perfect is the copy and how transparent is the replay if the equipment to make them will be better next year? They can not be perfect copies now or played through completely transparent DACs now if they will be upgraded in the future.

I have directly compared an analog recording to a native quad DSD recording of the same performance. They did not sound the same, and I preferred one to the other. Analog and digital still sound different.

In theory, a vinyl rip could be a great way to listen to music and it could be used as a convenient tool for evaluation equipment. But I do not think that we can tell what a particular analog source sounds like in its own setting by listening to a vinyl rip of it in a different system context. And, next year, another vinyl rip made on the same system will sound different if newer ADC s and DACs are used to make and replay them.

What do others think about vinyl rips?

Peter, nice thread! A few key missing things from your write-up come to mind right away:

- Imagine a record from the late 50's or 60s, nearly virgin - touched by man and played only once, twice, or three times max, with virtually no surface noise...

- One of the most critical elements when ripping is done right is that stylus microphonics are eliminated. I was able to compare the with and without, and it really makes one realize how noisy the analog medium really is. What is the point of spending so much money on an expensive gear, when it is playing back so much noise?

- When ripping is done using top notch equipment - and I heard rips from a world famous recording engineer, using over $250K of equipment - there is no longer need for vinyl for the rest of us :)

So I have a feeling that many folks who have heard vinyl rips are experientially impoverished when it comes to this

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing